CAAD12, Colnago C60 and Specialized Tarmac S-Works Sl6 Campagnolo 11s builds...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

Some updates to my CAAD12..

After trying to ride with stripped bare carbon Selle Italia Carbonio SLR Flow, i realized im not able to ride longer then 2 hours.. I have feeling that if there was no cutout, it would be comfortable, but cutout hole and edges there, made me feel very uncomfortable.. So yesterday i put to test ride Selle Italia Novus L2 saddle (200 gm), which is about 146mm wide and actually too wide for me.. But i put this saddle until i got new Selle Italia SLR Carbonio Flow (which also arrived yesterday)

And i went out to make test ride of the saddle, and i meet a friend.. He bought the same Selle Italia Novus in S2 (136mm), he never ride it, and he told me that he is looking for wider version.. :) So seem that we'll swap each other...

Here is his version (now installed on my bike to try it)

Another update i done.. Based on very good experience i have with Deda Superleggera Handlebar on my Colnago C60, i was thinking to get another Superleggera for CAAD12, but at the end i order Deda Zero100 Handlebar.. I wanted to compare this popular bar, and also less worry for winter/travel bike since is alloy.. One thing i dont like vs Deda Superleggera is drops are shorter here by 1 cm.. But i'll test ride it, and share how i like it...And this bar is adding 42 gm from Easton EC90SLX3 which is replacing...Easton and Deda have similar shape, but Deda have better Campy transition and seem that RHM shape Deda bars are best for Campy...

And here is Easton EC90SLX3 which is replaced (about 17350 km on it). Also i prefer 40cm in drops as well (Deda is 40 cm hoods/drops), Easton is 40.5 hoods, and 42 cm drops....

And here Fizik Stem is just for this picture.. It's torqued just barely (2 nm), and will be updated with Deda Zero 115mm stem which im still waiting to arrive...

And another update, i switched from my Shamals to Bora 50 wheelset since is almost summer here, and no more (hopefully) often rain/bad weather days.. Here it is how it look like....

3Pio

by 3Pio

Another change i done few days ago, is replacing the Kalloy Uno Stem (it was 99gm ), in 110mm to Deda Zero in 115 gm (and this is about 158 gm (with Ti Bolts) , so i added some weight here..)

I changed the stem, to reproduce exactly the same position i have on my C60... .And before that i feel some flexyness, and could not detect whhat is the source.. But i just wasnt able to hold watts steady, like they are escaping somewhere...

After i change the stem, handlebar, shoes seem that i can hold steady avg watts and could not detect flexyness anymore....

Now with CAAD12 i have 2200 km allready (last 200 with new 115mm stem), and i must say it's funny bike...Good enough for climbing, cheap enough to dont care too much, comfortable enough for longer rides, and nice handling also...

Now i use CAAD12 more often for regulard rides, and C60 for more special rides (really long rides like ride tommorow which will be 170-200 km with about 1800 climb, or pushing to the limits rides....)

But seem that CAAD12 is really worth considering the price and everything else.. It's growing up on me....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

And Yesterday i done First 200 km ride with CAAD12 at once.. (1750 m climb, 28 km/h avg speed)

Im suprised how comfortable is beeing an alloy frame..

Few pics from the ride...

Caad12 have allready 2500 km ridden since i build it....

flying

by flying

3Pio wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:26 am
Im surprised how comfortable is being an alloy frame..
Nice pics!

About Alloy comfort...
I think most folks have an old expectation based mainly on what others have said about alloy many years ago

But really the Alloy frames of today/recent years are totally different than the old days of 3" Cannondale tubes :D

3Pio

by 3Pio

flying wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:00 pm
3Pio wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:26 am
Im surprised how comfortable is being an alloy frame..
Nice pics!

About Alloy comfort...
I think most folks have an old expectation based mainly on what others have said about alloy many years ago

But really the Alloy frames of today/recent years are totally different than the old days of 3" Cannondale tubes :D
Yes, u are right about expectations we have... And obviosly alloy bikes evolved a lot since harsh times... I own two alloy bikes at a moment (this CAAD12) and Bianchi Pista Sei Giorni (fixie bike, which i use for my commuting), and i can see that both of them are not harsh at all...

So the question is.. Since obviosly alloy can offer enough comfort, it can be light enough (my CAAD12 frame is just a little bit lighter then my C60), cheap enough and not worrying if will crack or not (caad12 frame was a bout 4 or 5 times cheaper then C60) ... Why there is no more high end alloy bikes this days? Why no more alloy bikes from main manufactures?

And there is still some exclusivity for steel bikes (even beeing much hevier, flexier and sometimes proone to corrosion).. But no for alloys even their riding seem to be superior (at least stiffer and lighter)... Hope to see more alloy bikes in near future, so seem that can be on pair with carbon....

flying

by flying

3Pio wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:55 am
Why there is no more high end alloy bikes this days? Why no more alloy bikes from main manufactures?
Once again & especially these days in cycling I think it is profit margins that drive the companies who in
turn herd the buyers in the direction that gives them the most profit.

I am just grateful that some great frames are still being built at very reasonable prices & quality of build is quite excellent. :thumbup:

3Pio

by 3Pio

Yesterday i had a proper test to Caad12, in term of long distance riding, climbing, etc...

This season since March im on tubs on both mu bikes, but last week was my bad luck week since i got rear tub cuts on both wheels...

So for the ride i had yesterday i had to switch to clinchers (Shamals Ultra C15), and Continental 4000 SII (23mm)... I choosed Latex Inner tubes.. And decide to use CAAD12 instead of C60.

I measured wheelset combo (Shamals+4000SII 23mm + Vittoria Latex) vs (Bora 50 Tubs + Continental Sprinter).

Front wheelset difference 15 gm and rear 30 gm difference.. So in total Bora combo was just 45 gm lighter..

The pressure i used on this ride was 6.3 bar in front and 6.6 in rear (im 73 kg)...

Ride was 201 km, with about 2250m elevation and go suprised from few things:

- I really loved how Shamals + 4000SII+Latex climb, and ride overall.. Very responsive, very good grip, very reactive.. In same time comfortable

- After i found my position with 115mm stem, im finding CAAD12 very nice bike. Not harsh and all, and good climbing/riding machine (i have many segments yesterday where im in first 10) .. C60 is still a bit stiffer and more responsive on climbs, but not dramatic difference..

- Not any harshness, numbess or something ..

- I definetely prefer braking on Bora 50 wheelset vs Shamals ... By big margin.. This is area where i'll definetely choose Bora wheelset anytime vs Alloy wheelset...

And some pics from the ride:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Fantastic bike to ride in a beautiful environment. Cyclist heaven. What else can one ask for?

3Pio

by 3Pio

XCProMD wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:13 pm
Fantastic bike to ride in a beautiful environment. Cyclist heaven. What else can one ask for?
Yes :) The whole point of actually owning a bike... Hope that similar more rides will follow in next few weeks.....

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Ah Macedonia, a beautiful part of the world... congratulations on being able to ride in such a wonderful place.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Powerful Pete wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:22 pm
Ah Macedonia, a beautiful part of the world... congratulations on being able to ride in such a wonderful place.
Thanks Pete.. If u ever come in this area, u are more than welcome to ride together.....

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Appreciate it good sir. I worked quite a bit in Macedonia/Albania and loved my time in the lake Ohrid area. I will make a point of tracking you down at some point. I miss my shopska salads, tavche-gravche (sp?) and the wonderful people and scenery.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

robertbb

by robertbb

Looks great!

Interesting to hear that you actually prefer the braking on Bora's over Shamals!

3Pio

by 3Pio

Powerful Pete wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:10 pm
Appreciate it good sir. I worked quite a bit in Macedonia/Albania and loved my time in the lake Ohrid area. I will make a point of tracking you down at some point. I miss my shopska salads, tavche-gravche (sp?) and the wonderful people and scenery.
Im even more suprised now :) What u worked here and how long u stayed? If u are returning back, definetely contact me, plenty of tavce-gravche, shopska and rakija in the future as i can see :) ..

We can continue our conversatin in PVT Messaging as well :)

3Pio

by 3Pio

robertbb wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:05 am
Looks great!

Interesting to hear that you actually prefer the braking on Bora's over Shamals!

On Bora (especially AC3 version i have), there is very very very good modulation when braking.. Total control what happening.. And like more layers of force while braking.. On Shamals there is less space between just a slight braking to totaly very powerfull braking.. Of course it's not bad, and not missing modulation at all, but on Bora's bit better (in dry weather).

And definetely so much braking power on both, that i really dont understund need of Discs on Road bike :) (and there was really steep gradients involved in this personal conclusion)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com