Canyon unveils Ultimate CF Evo Disc: 5.95kg at $10,099

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

“It’s a bike made for the mountains — feather-light for climbing, and equipped with disc brakes for fast or harrowing descents.”

Hmmm, at that weight, with discs no less, I’ve no doubt descending at speed in the mountains on this would indeed be a “harrowing” experience.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

Calnago wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:09 pm
“It’s a bike made for the mountains — feather-light for climbing, and equipped with disc brakes for fast or harrowing descents.”

Hmmm, at that weight, with discs no less, I’ve no doubt descending at speed in the mountains on this would indeed be a “harrowing” experience.
my 6.8kg SLX Disk is a dream to decend on
What's weght got to do with stability
LW Rim brake bikes inherently less stable too :noidea:
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

by Weenie

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Calnago wrote:

A lightweight disc brake bike comes out and now instead of complaining about the discs you complain about the weight being too low.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Missing from the list is the:

Headset
Rotors
Thru axles
Rim tape
Cables + brake hoses
Pedals
Garmin mount
Power meter
Seatpost clamp

spartacus

by spartacus

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:21 pm
Calnago wrote:

A lightweight disc brake bike comes out and now instead of complaining about the discs you complain about the weight being too low.
:beerchug:

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

Sub 6.8kg Disk bike
Without weight weenie parts
Not not just the new Evo
Canyon SLX are very light too
Attachments
C5-50.jpg
C5W.jpg
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

Wookski

by Wookski

robertbb wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:16 pm

How about a part-by-part breakdown? :beerchug:
Dude you’re missing cables, bb, pedals, skewers, headset plus all the items you have noted. This is a circa 7kg build. Not saying that’s a bad thing as you’ve made some great choices however WW isn’t the place to BS about weights :wink:

Valy

by Valy

When people are displeased by the light fork - do you know how to design a fork, or have you?

So you know the loads it takes and rim vs disk? Different layups used? Or just sceptical?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If I took the pedals off the lightest configuration of Emonda SLR Disc, it would be 6.1kg. Not a harrowing experience to descend on though sometimes when getting out of a top tube tuck, my kit gets hooked by the nose on the XXX saddle. Happens far less often on a saddle with a padded nose, it seems.

Maybe that 150g makes all the difference...
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

robertbb

by robertbb

Wookski wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:52 pm
robertbb wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:16 pm

How about a part-by-part breakdown? :beerchug:
Dude you’re missing cables, bb, pedals, skewers, headset plus all the items you have noted. This is a circa 7kg build. Not saying that’s a bad thing as you’ve made some great choices however WW isn’t the place to BS about weights :wink:
Headset is included under "bearings +37g".

Do you think pressfit campy cups, skewers, cables and bartape add 1kg of weight? :noidea:

(Does this Ultimate Evo Disc include pedals, btw?)

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Valy wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:30 am
When people are displeased by the light fork - do you know how to design a fork, or have you?

So you know the loads it takes and rim vs disk? Different layups used? Or just sceptical?
I'm displeased mine 400g+ albeit a little more aero
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

spartacus wrote:
CAAD8FRED wrote:
Calnago wrote:

I’ve explained this stance before. To get a disc brake bike as light as an equivalent rim brake bike, all else being equal, that weight reduction has got to come from the frame/fork. As such, the most structural part of the bike is simply not as strong as it would be otherwise. Consider that a very reasonable weight difference between a disc brake bike and an equivalent rim brake bike is ~400-500grams. So, given that an already lightweight frame may weigh under 1000grams, would you really want to be taking away 50% of the material from the most important part of the entire bike. I wouldn’t. Because of this, at any given weight, a rim brake bike will always be able to made stronger using exactly the same materials etc. So you see where I’m heading... safety and ride quality is really getting compromised here. Like someone implied.. a sub 300gram disc brake fork might be considered a little too light by some, myself included. You can ride it, I’ll pass thank you. Yes, at some point a bicycle can get just too light. So to see a disc bike this weight... have fun.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Calnago wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:45 am
spartacus wrote:
CAAD8FRED wrote:
Calnago wrote:

I’ve explained this stance before. To get a disc brake bike as light as an equivalent rim brake bike, all else being equal, that weight reduction has got to come from the frame/fork. As such, the most structural part of the bike is simply not as strong as it would be otherwise. Consider that a very reasonable weight difference between a disc brake bike and an equivalent rim brake bike is ~400-500grams. So, given that an already lightweight frame may weigh under 1000grams, would you really want to be taking away 50% of the material from the most important part of the entire bike. I wouldn’t. Because of this, at any given weight, a rim brake bike will always be able to made stronger using exactly the same materials etc. So you see where I’m heading... safety and ride quality is really getting compromised here. Like someone implied.. a sub 300gram disc brake fork might be considered a little too light by some, myself included. You can ride it, I’ll pass thank you. Yes, at some point a bicycle can get just too light. So to see a disc bike this weight... have fun.
Now you’re a structural engineer of bikes?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It doesn’t take a structural engineer to understand that.

by Weenie

flying

by flying

I see this kind of thing a lot these days & it always makes me feel old/older out of touch :lol:

I mean come on 10k :noidea:
Last edited by flying on Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.