2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

robeambro

by robeambro

otnemem wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:27 am
- Aero/drafting still matters even up climbs unless you're climbing below 15km/h.
As per usual I have to specify. Aero still matters EVEN if you’re climbing below 15km/h, physics don’t just wake up when you go beyond that speed. It’s just that below 15kmh air resistance is just not the dominant force to overcome.

Details are important.

Wookski

by Wookski

ultimobici wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:39 am
Jugi wrote:Pro level racing still giving tire manufacturers the incentive to keep tubulars in development?
Only, if these follow the same principles as previous Pro Limited tubs and have latex inners, they will never be officially available to the public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So you’re talking about a subset of a subset of one brand? Not all pro ltd’s have latex inners. AFAIK all other brand’s tubulars are publicly available and most have latex inners.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mendiz

by mendiz

What chainrings Dura Ace were using teams at TTT, the chainring was 58 teeth, so they had to use dust caps. Is pro material only? [http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tou ... ime-trial/]
By the way I am happy to see Ineos using the wheelset I bought , haha, LW Meilenstein 24 mm with 20 spokes front wheel, not Obermayer. I see journalists and people here exploding their brains reasoning why, why, if aerodynamics is everything and the most important they say.
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

robeambro wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:36 pm
I think Ridley or any manufacturer does not care one bit about luck - making these special bikes generates buzz, visibility, clicks, awareness. You know it yourself, you're a photographer. :mrgreen:
I would not usually care about Ridley's, but now I found myself saying "wow that's some nice bike, if I were on the market I'd have to look it up".
I certainly understand why the manufacturers would want to do it.... but I'm talking about the superstitions of the rider's and teams and beleive it or not that's a very strong feeling amongst many.... not all of the manufacturers go all in with a painted bike.. in fact, I'd argue that most do NOT. I know that the Specialized teams do not. They do not give riders a bike painted in jersey design until the final day and they aren't painted ahead of time and stored in the team truck. The designs are done in the final week based on if it's predicted that said rider will stay in that jersery and then is usually painted in the final 2 days before the end and delivered overnight before the final stage. When a rider for a Specialized team is in a jersey during the race, the mechanics simply do a vinyl sticker overlay of jersey color on the S-Works logo and some bar tape. I'm pretty sure that Ineos (Sky) do the same... it isn't until the final day that you'll see the full yellow Pinarello. If I recall, Movistar didn't give Carapaz a pink bike until the final days.. Most of the teams do have the finishing details and rider kit peices in a the different colors though... bar tape, helmets, gloves etc.
mendiz wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:12 am
What chainrings Dura Ace were using teams at TTT, the chainring was 58 teeth, so they had to use dust caps. Is pro material only? [http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tou ... ime-trial/]
Yes, the chainrings are pro only. To the public, the largest chainrings that Shimano offer are 55 tooth rings.

Roel W

by Roel W

otnemem wrote:
That's the question. Well known science answers some questions that, to me, raises other questions:
- They'll be climbing a lot tomorrow and according to them the choice is dictated by the usefulness in stages like these.
- Aero/drafting still matters even up climbs unless you're climbing below 15km/h.
- Rotational weight makes no difference other than coming from a standstill.
- Rolling resistance means real watts being wasted with narrower hoops.

Are they incapable of getting to 6.8Kg on their Xlight frames and C40 wheels? This is the question I'd have have an answer to, right now.
Those Lightweight wheels are also quite 'outdated' (narrow rims, V-shaped rim,...). When was the last update of these wheels? I remember Lance Armstrong using them and that's 20 years ago.
If weight and rotational weight is important, why not using Lightweight Gipfelsturm (formerly known as Ventoux) at 440g +475g (Meilenstein tubular 20C = 475g + 630g) or Shimano Dura-Ace R9100 C40 wheels (lower profile carbon fibre rims, lighter as C60 but not as light as Lightweight)?

kgt

by kgt

Gipfelsturm would be a better choice in terms of crosswind stability but they are less stiff than Meilenstein; that might be a reason.
In any case nothing feels better when attacking on a 10% gradient than a Meilenstein wheelset. There are marketing agreements somewhere, maybe, but the fact that Ineos - with two GC contenders - chose LW (and payed for them according to the reports) is for a reason. They would never do it if they believed all this marketing BS about wide rims, U rim profiles, LW not being competitive to other modern wheels etc. etc.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

From lightweight’s fb page team ineos are using regular meilensteins and not obermayers.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

re: Lightweight wheels - lets remember on numerous occasions (such as WC) some pros, despite having all the best and newest on their disposal, still opt for LWs

so, when the push comes to shove (=you stand at your lbs deciding upon a purchase) would you rather go with what pros pick, or close your eyes and imagine you're in a perfect world created by marketing department, where every advertised quality meets reality?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

It seems that Ineos bought there LWs just in time. There are reports that Wissler, the parent company of Carbonsports that makes LWs, has filed for bankruptcy.

https://www.schwaebische.de/landkrei...,11081164.html

kgt

by kgt

Of course, this does not mean that Carbonsports will stop its production.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

kgt wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:21 pm
Of course, this does not mean that Carbonsports will stop its production.
Perhaps not but that is by no means certain at this point.

kgt

by kgt

LW is one of those companies that the next owner is probably already waiting in the queue.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Motors are a bit heavy but you’ve still got to get to 6.8kg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

otnemem

by otnemem

robeambro wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:53 am
otnemem wrote:
As per usual I have to specify. Aero still matters EVEN if you’re climbing below 15km/h, physics don’t just wake up when you go beyond that speed. It’s just that below 15kmh air resistance is just not the dominant force to overcome.

Details are important.
Obviously, you're right. I'm a lazy writer :)
kgt wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:03 am
They would never do it if they believed all this marketing BS about wide rims, U rim profiles, LW not being competitive to other modern wheels etc. etc.
It's not belief, it's verifiable facts: modern profiles are more aero and wider rims allow for tyres to have lower Crr. You don't have to like it, but calling it BS changes nothing.
tymon_tm wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:02 pm
re: Lightweight wheels - lets remember on numerous occasions (such as WC) some pros, despite having all the best and newest on their disposal, still opt for LWs

so, when the push comes to shove (=you stand at your lbs deciding upon a purchase) would you rather go with what pros pick, or close your eyes and imagine you're in a perfect world created by marketing department, where every advertised quality meets reality?
When push comes to shove, science doesn't change. Whether you choose to follow a scientific consensus or not (for instance imitating pros) it's your choice.

P.S.- the only case of note was the use of LW's disc, which used to be the lightest option by 500g in some cases (not so much now) and where the aero difference is less pronounced so it actually made sense to use it in hilly TTs or TTs with one or more steep climbs.

ms6073

by ms6073

dereksmalls wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:21 am
I’m sure it’s quite easy to get the xlight bikes to 6.8kg but chuck on a PM, computer and then the tracking device off the seat and the weight starts climbing up.
Is the UCI rule based on total bike weight at the start line or minimum weight applied to the base bike sans extraneous add-ons like the bottles, computer and tracking devices?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com