Cracked DA 9000 and Ultegra 8000

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

Nefarious86 wrote:Wait, now it's almost never? Before it was never happens. See this is why people did you to be a pain, you can't hold a straight line in your arguments.
kgt wrote:I cannot see why some people negate the fact that Shimano cranksets crack and Campagnolo do not. This is the truth guys, accept it.
Add to that you discount the fact that others have seen campy cranks fail in various ways from inserts pulling out to spindes cracking.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
I have to say! This is a quality answering! You can shoot KGT whit gun it will be more economic than righting post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tarmackev

by tarmackev

With 6800 cranks I always wondered if Richard Marx "Right here waiting" era, or "Hazard" era would have the biggest issue.
Peronals I could see him cracking them in 88 but not so much 91.
Obviously this is just my opinion and I'm by no means an expert, figured somebody on the forum would have better idea.

mattr

by mattr

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:45 am
You know one reason why you see so many Shimano crankarm failures vs Campagnolo, right kgt? Shimano probably ships on a scale of 100x more cranks than Campagnolo.
100? Shimano probably ships as many Dura-Ace cranks as Campag ship cranks, total.
And ultegra outsells DA by a factor of 100s.

And i doubt there is a single crank on the market that doesn't have multiple failures reported. I've not personally seen any of the 11 or 12 speed campag cranks fail. But then, I've never actually seen a 12 speed campag crank outside of a trade show. And only know 3 people who run campag 11.

JerryLook

by JerryLook

^+1

It’s been my experience that people who break cranks are either really strong, or abuse/crash their gear.
I’m sure they do also break because of factory defects, but I’d bet that’s a small percentage of the ones that break

I broke a NDS crank arm (mid level Shimano, I forget what model) in the late 1990’s on my Mtb. The bike shop guy was impressed, but I knew it broke because of abuse/crashes, and not because of my strength. Lol.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Yep, aluminum alloys aren’t very resilient and have basically no fatigue limit, so any strong impact in the wrong direction could send a crankarm on its way to failure. A gust of wind blowing your bike over when it was leaned against a fence for example...

Carbon crankarms tend to have other issues like those already mentioned...bonded metal sleeves coming loose chief among them.

Greatestalltime

by Greatestalltime

JerryLook wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:38 pm
^+1

It’s been my experience that people who break cranks are either really strong, or abuse/crash their gear.
I’m sure they do also break because of factory defects, but I’d bet that’s a small percentage of the ones that break

I broke a NDS crank arm (mid level Shimano, I forget what model) in the late 1990’s on my Mtb. The bike shop guy was impressed, but I knew it broke because of abuse/crashes, and not because of my strength. Lol.
I told my wife about this post and she rolled her eyes at me.