The future of performance road bikes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fxx

by fxx

ome rodriguez wrote:
I doubt. A lot of companies experimenting on different materials for rotors without success. Mtb are on discs for more than a decade now and still on the reliable steel rotors
He is talking about F1 ceramic brake technology used for stopping 300kmh F1 cars and would cost 10s of times the price of the common steel rotors and for a disproportionately small amount of weight savings, hence steel rotors still rule.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:30 am
scapie wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:09 am

lol, thats up there with this classic

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/07/tour-te ... crankarms/

All we're doing is rotating our body position a few degrees forward around the bottom bracket. Try it sometime, you might like it.

It's like they're just now figuring out aero trumps raw power in most cases...the SlowTwitch scene has been years ahead of the pure roadie curve for quite some time.
I run the same position. I opt for the smaller of frames that fit me, zero offset post, shorter cranks that come with the frame, and longer stem to prevent arching. Always comfortable... except for maybe the first ride of the season.

I will say that the slowtwitch crowd is on it. Well informed group and some smart minds share some great data there. Competition sharpens the knife. The best response they like to give to someone stuck in “slow” dogma is “hope you compete in my age-group.”

Ww is good too, but by definition we are all a bit stuck in the past with “light is fast.”

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRich

by TheRich

RocketRacing wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:16 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:30 am
scapie wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:09 am

lol, thats up there with this classic

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/07/tour-te ... crankarms/

All we're doing is rotating our body position a few degrees forward around the bottom bracket. Try it sometime, you might like it.

It's like they're just now figuring out aero trumps raw power in most cases...the SlowTwitch scene has been years ahead of the pure roadie curve for quite some time.
I run the same position. I opt for the smaller of frames that fit me, zero offset post, shorter cranks that come with the frame, and longer stem to prevent arching. Always comfortable... except for maybe the first ride of the season.

I will say that the slowtwitch crowd is on it. Well informed group and some smart minds share some great data there. Competition sharpens the knife. The best response they like to give to someone stuck in “slow” dogma is “hope you compete in my age-group.”

Ww is good too, but by definition we are all a bit stuck in the past with “light is fast.”
Triathlon people are used to change, so there's less resistance.

robeambro

by robeambro

You guys think WW is conservative? You should try local forums. On one Italian-speaking forum I participate in, the great majority believes that there's absolutely no difference in performance to be gained from equipment (the most common adage they use is "only legs matter") and that aerodynamics are a marketing gimmick.

3Pio

by 3Pio

robeambro wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:41 am
You guys think WW is conservative? You should try local forums. On one Italian-speaking forum I participate in, the great majority believes that there's absolutely no difference in performance to be gained from equipment (the most common adage they use is "only legs matter") and that aerodynamics are a marketing gimmick.
Please share which forum is it , maybe will switch there.. :)

robeambro

by robeambro

3Pio wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:52 am
robeambro wrote:
Ha ha, but what would you talk about then? We'd be all bored if we couldn't talk some cycling science :mrgreen:

3Pio

by 3Pio

robeambro wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:55 am
3Pio wrote:
robeambro wrote:
Ha ha, but what would you talk about then? We'd be all bored if we couldn't talk some cycling science :mrgreen:
About rides and suffering on the rides? :) About Italy and climbs there? About Espresso? :) Mozarella and Wine after ride? Italian women? :) About Sonus Faber HiFi? About Roberto Benigni movies? About Gelato? :)

About Roberto Benigni movies and Gelato in same time :)

Plenty of topics.. :) Kidding.. Im not that conservative, but will like to check that forum and discussion there for real... Maybe at the end i find out that actually im more conservative then i think :)

zefs

by zefs

I could be wrong but I think disc technology for road bikes was a bit rushed out, since the top manufacturers want discs to replace rims I'd want it to work better on all aspects (since it's replacing another tech) and not "create other issues". Maybe it will happen eventually but I'd rather wait until discs have the same ease of use and lower weight etc.

I know I had to switch to Jagwire compressionless cables and semi-metallic pads to get braking were I wanted it to be (TRP Spyre) and then I was always adjusting the pads for wear after a descend. If I hadn't switched to the new cables and semi metallic pads I had to adjust the pads very close to the rotor to get the braking power I wanted and then there was rub.

Someone could argue that the bike was entry-level and top ones would work better but the same priced rim brake model would not have these issues, so I'd like to see disc brakes improve before switching (did this ever happen to MTB or is it the same? I don't know).
Last edited by zefs on Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

robeambro

by robeambro

3Pio wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:03 am
robeambro wrote:
3Pio wrote:
robeambro wrote:
About rides and suffering on the rides? :) About Italy and climbs there? About Espresso? :) Mozarella and Wine after ride? Italian women? :) About Sonus Faber HiFi? About Roberto Benigni movies? About Gelato? :)

Plenty of topics.. :) Kidding.. Im not that conservative, but will like to check that forum and discussion there for real... Maybe at the end i find out that actually im more conservative then i think :)
Haha be my guest! It's called "bdc mag forum" (where bdc is an acronym for bici da corsa, or race bike).
Nobody talks about Benigni or Sonus Fiber there, that I can tell you. But it's pretty big (much bigger than WW) so there's a lot to cover :mrgreen:

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Back to the future of bikes: ww is returning as brands refine the weight of their aero/disc offerings. But we will never hit the “lows” we hit before...

And the integration done well can look so nice, but it also spells death to “upgrades.” As someone who loves to upgrade/customize, that will kill a big part of the hobby for me. To get what i want, or close to it... i will need to buy the absolute top end bike. And then i will just sit on it, feeling like i should change something...

Sojodave

by Sojodave

I vote that road biking in the future will come with comfortable saddles that don't take buying a dozen before you find the right one.

fxx

by fxx

Sojodave wrote:I vote that road biking in the future will come with comfortable saddles that don't take buying a dozen before you find the right one.
Aye aye don't see what's the point in ultra light saddles with minimal padding and yet you have to pad it up with good shorts, which weigh more, negating the weight savings.

Might as well design well padded saddles.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

3Pio

by 3Pio

robeambro wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:13 am
3Pio wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:03 am
robeambro wrote:
3Pio wrote:

Haha be my guest! It's called "bdc mag forum" (where bdc is an acronym for bici da corsa, or race bike).
Nobody talks about Benigni or Sonus Fiber there, that I can tell you. But it's pretty big (much bigger than WW) so there's a lot to cover :mrgreen:
IceCream for u if we ever meet in person on some cycling ride... :)

And Thanks.. I'll check that forum.. Sometimes while google ing i found that forum, but after i read what im interested did not get back regular..

Probably will check more often this days.. Really wondering what italians (who are one of the inventors of cycling and have many years tradition), talk about that...

flying

by flying

robeambro wrote:
On one Italian-speaking forum I participate in, the great majority believes that there's absolutely no difference in performance to be gained from equipment (the most common adage they use is "only legs matter") and that aerodynamics are a marketing gimmick.
:lol: I imagine I would fit in ok there :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AW84

by AW84

robeambro wrote:
They're right. I've watched many a rider move from a climbing bike to an aero bike and they weren't one iota faster. There are people solo'ing to wins in crits and road races every day on climbing bikes with shallow wheels while the aero wonder bikes are mired back in the field. Aero-everything is so overplayed, because it has to be to make money. Cyclists are a gullible bunch.