2019 Sram Force ETAP

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dierckxsens

by dierckxsens

akdmx wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:38 am
As a follow up to my prior inquiry on lever travel, I've since visited the local shop who listened to my concerns about unsafe travel and assured me that the system was fine.

Last weekend I had a bad crash in a race. While not directly caused by the brake, I do wonder if in the moments before crashing I attempted to slow down and experienced interference by my finger.

I will likely not carry on with the force AXS groupset due to these kinds of concerns. For those wondering - I've compared my lever travel with many other AXS brakes and found great variability, though the AXS RED brakes consistently had shorter lever travel than force.

Thanks for bringing this up, I have had the same experience with my SRAM Force AXS levers a few times where a finger gets stuck between the handlebar and the shifter paddle, no crash but scary stuff. I had never had that kind of problem before with other levers, if it's a general safety problem it must be solved by SRAM.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

akaspin wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:03 am
Does anyone have access to AXS spider? If yes can you make a few measurements of spider tabs? The most interesting is mounting thickness and tabs offset from frame centerline. Top and bottom tab width as well as inner and outer diameters also will be very useful.
Measurements made with a Mitutoyo digital caliper
Flanges:
5mm thick
15mm tall
16mm wide flat part, 25 base of flare
7mm offset from mounting face
Holes are 63mm/86mm
Ride fast Take chances

akaspin

by akaspin

Alexbn921 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:11 pm
akaspin wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:03 am
Does anyone have access to AXS spider? If yes can you make a few measurements of spider tabs? The most interesting is mounting thickness and tabs offset from frame centerline. Top and bottom tab width as well as inner and outer diameters also will be very useful.
Measurements made with a Mitutoyo digital caliper
Flanges:
5mm thick
15mm tall
16mm wide flat part, 25 base of flare
7mm offset from mounting face
Holes are 63mm/86mm
Thank you so much! If it's possible can you measure baseplate thickness?

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Is that the mounting flang thickness?
Ride fast Take chances

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

Alexbn921 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:07 pm
Installed a new dub BB30 in my new Roubaix frame last night and the bearings make a crunching sound when I spin the cranks. :(
Man I hate press fit BB's.
was the bearing making the sound before the installation?

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

I don't know if it was, but it sure was after even without the cranks in. I used the appropriate press to install it without any problems. Cranks would only spin 2-3 revolutions and I could hear grinding threw the frame.
I measured the bearings and they are 40mm od 30mm id, so not standard. Why the hell would you not use standard size BB30 bearings in the external cups.

Anyway, it was eating at me and I pounded them out. Was going to try another set of new ones and just decided to cut the BB30 flanges out of the frame(2017 Specialized Roubaix S-works). Ordered a BBinfinite OSBB dub unit. Removing the epoxied in cups was a way bigger PITA then they show on their videos. Options are limited on BB's right now with DUB.
Ride fast Take chances

akaspin

by akaspin

Alexbn921 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:24 pm
Is that the mounting flang thickness?
As I know mounting tabs on AXS spider have tricky shape. But mounting tabs looks like four rectangular grooves on baseplate. As I see full tabs thickness is 5mm (yeah!). But that is the thickness of baseplate itself? Or height of the grooves (5mm - baseplate)?

akaspin

by akaspin

Alexbn921 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:06 pm
I don't know if it was, but it sure was after even without the cranks in. I used the appropriate press to install it without any problems. Cranks would only spin 2-3 revolutions and I could hear grinding threw the frame.
I measured the bearings and they are 40mm od 30mm id, so not standard. Why the hell would you not use standard size BB30 bearings in the external cups.

Anyway, it was eating at me and I pounded them out. Was going to try another set of new ones and just decided to cut the BB30 flanges out of the frame(2017 Specialized Roubaix S-works). Ordered a BBinfinite OSBB dub unit. Removing the epoxied in cups was a way bigger PITA then they show on their videos. Options are limited on BB's right now with DUB.
I found DUB kit on Kogel site. Kogel confirmed that kit will works with 30mm ID bearings.

willembad

by willembad

Alexbn921 wrote:Why the hell would you not use standard size BB30 bearings in the external cups.
I might be misunderstanding, but DUB spindles are not 30mm, hence the unique bearing dimensions. I believe all DUB cranks are 28mm or real close anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

willembad wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:37 pm
Alexbn921 wrote:Why the hell would you not use standard size BB30 bearings in the external cups.
I might be misunderstanding, but DUB spindles are not 30mm, hence the unique bearing dimensions. I believe all DUB cranks are 28mm or real close anyway.

28.99mm

28mm does exist as a step-down on the Praxis M30 BB/spindle system. (like GXP, but 30/28mm vs 24/22mm)

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

willembad wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:37 pm

So, I've been spending way too much time researching BB specs. :smartass:

SSram dub BB's use 30mm id bearings with a .5 plasitc spacer pressed in to prevent creaks. .5 all the way around = the spindle at 28.99mm. Standard 30mm id bearings have a 42mm od. 40x30 is not standard and very hard to find with balls that are too small for long bearing life.
Ride fast Take chances

ooo

by ooo

force axs etap rear derailleur - is it compatible with flat bar eagle axs shifter?
'

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

ooo wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:31 pm
force axs etap rear derailleur - is it compatible with flat bar eagle axs shifter?
Yes. All axs electronics are compatible. The road chain has bigger rollers and is not compatible with eagle cassettes.
Ride fast Take chances

jih

by jih

akdmx wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:07 am
I'm finding the lever travel on my etap force brakes to be excessively long. I've adjusted in the reach such that there is 2.5mm gap between the top of the lever and the hood (i.e. an intermediate position) and the levers pull nearly to the bars. I have to consciously keep my pinky finger clear of the levers. I have the contact point adjusted for the shortest possible lever travel. Anyone have a similar experience? The lever firms up nicely when contacting the pads - could it still be a bleed issue?
I'm not really seeing the situation where your little finger would be between the bars and the lever. I have all of my fingers in front of the levers when on the hoods, or when on the drops and braking with two fingers my hands are low enough that they're not in the path of the levers. Do you mean that when you brake, you use some of your fingers, but keep other fingers inside the throw of the lever? Would be interesting to see what that looks like. Maybe it is common and I just never noticed.

akdmx

by akdmx

Does anyone have compoent weights for the red crankset? I'm trying to figure out why there is such a big weight differential between force and red.

My measurements on force are as follows:

Drive-side crank arm (with spider bolts) - 197g
Non-drive arm and spindle - 275g
Chainrings (35t,48t, bolts) - 190g
Spider - 63g
-or-
Quarq spider - 160g

Total: 725g or 822g w/ power

I suspect the difference is mostly in the chainrings

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓