New S-Works Exos shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:45 pm
My Giro Prolight Techlace lasted 1.5 years before the Textreme/carbon sole started splitting at the heel
Giro had many issues with this. Is the reason for the new sole.

But as all WW know, you need to pay the piper at some point when it comes to weight savings.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I wish I have the power output to break a carbon sole. Can't see that ever happening with my Exos.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:48 am
I wish I have the power output to break a carbon sole. Can't see that ever happening with my Exos.

It's not power based breakage, just repeated flexing of the carbon sole. And in the heel area, just from the very limited heel pad strikes while walking short distances.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I don't doubt your experience but I still can't see that ever happening with my Exos. It would be somewhat unfair to say that all lightweight shoes are garbage just because you had a bad experience with a particular model. If I ever have any issues with my Exos I will post it here. I'm still loving my Exos and have no durability issues thus far.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:13 am
I don't doubt your experience but I still can't see that ever happening with my Exos. It would be somewhat unfair to say that all lightweight shoes are garbage just because you had a bad experience with a particular model. If I ever have any issues with my Exos I will post it here. I'm still loving my Exos and have no durability issues thus far.

It won't deteriorate in quite the same way, but the Exos sole is definitely weaker than on the 7. The toebox isn't Dyneema so I could definitely see some localized wear issues, especially for people who don't quite have the right fit. There's just not enough material...Like I know my Gaerne G.Stilo will look nasty in 5 years, but I'll still be able to wear them beyond that. I don't think my Empire SLX are going to be very wearable in 5 years. I know my Prolight Techlace won't even survive 3 years.

When I say material, I mean everything including glue, stitching, etc. That's fine though. Exos are "race" shoes. My Imperials will mostly be race shoes with my Gaernes being everyday shoes.

Natasha

by Natasha

One crash where you scrape your shoe on the road and it is game over lol
Female WW cyclist on Youtube [YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNfta0 ... OHypUYZAGA[/YouTube]

ODC

by ODC

How is the feel on the ankle with the Exos shoes? Is it softer then the S-works 7?
Globally the S-Works 7 is perfect for my feet but I can not ride with them because of the pain they give me at my ankle/ankle bone due to hard padding at the ankle place.

guyc

by guyc

I had to give up on the 7's for exactly that reason. Just became too painful. Great in every other respect. I've now moved to S-Phyre 9's and they're so much more comfortable around the ankle it's not true.

ODC

by ODC

guyc wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:37 am
I had to give up on the 7's for exactly that reason. Just became too painful. Great in every other respect. I've now moved to S-Phyre 9's and they're so much more comfortable around the ankle it's not true.
I changed also to the S-Phyre RC9. Now that those ones a wrecked I'm in doubt between the new RC901 or the Exos shoes.
In the stores the exos feel very comfortable but I want to know how they feel when you ride and especially at the ankle.

guyc

by guyc

I'm on the new 901's and really like them - would also be interested to know though.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

There's no hard heel cup on the Exos. But there's also not much padding around the heel. Due to lack of heavy padding it's important to get the fit right on the Exos. Normally a heavily padded shoe will feel comfortable even if the fit is not exactly perfect as the padding conforms to the shape of your foot. On the Exos a small mis-fit will cause discomfort on the road. Initially I got the Exos in a size 40.5. At the shop they felt fine but on the road the top of the heel cup was irritating the achilles tendon. This is because the 40.5 was too short in length. So I bought two additional pairs in sizes 41 and 41.5. At home I tried both on and decided that the 41.5 is a safer bet. I returned the 40.5 and 41. The 41.5 has the perfect length for me and I ride with comfort with no hot spots. For reference I measured the distance between my large toe to the tip of the shoe and that distance is 12mm. In summary if you are in between sizes on the Exos it's safer to go with the larger size. For another reference I wear a 41 in a Sidi.

jj911c2

by jj911c2

Thanks to those that provided feedback on these shoes. I picked up a pair and they are incredibly comfortable. I struggle to find shoes that fit as I have a narrow heel and wide front foot. The toe box in these is incredibly comfortable. I have a few hundred k on these so far and am very happy with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Gregor Mühlberger was riding the Exos at today’s TdF stage. I was rooting for him but he lost the sprint against two climbers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chorus88

by chorus88

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:17 pm
Gregor Mühlberger was riding the Exos at today’s TdF stage. I was rooting for him but he lost the sprint against two climbers!
Kinda sad that Julian Alaphilippe (GC Leader) & Sagan (Points Leader) wear other Spesh shoes. :noidea:
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Why is that sad? We have the choice of two, great, but different styles of shoe, engineered to the higest levels.... I think its great.