“New” 2020 Trek Emonda

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Seems like Trek pushed out an update to the Emonda. Internal brake routing through the front fork is all I’ve been able to spot. The Trek website confirms BB90.

It also seems as though they’ve dropped the lower-end S model, and the new “entry level” model is the ALR.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... =red_white

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by FIJIGabe on Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

I don't see t47 making its was to carbon. No surprise they kept bb90.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, kind of agree with you @nickf. As much as I'd like to see a threaded shell (via alloy inserts ala Colnago) in carbon frames, that adds cost and complexity to production, as well as a bit of weight, which would be a huge marketing no no. Maybe wishful thinking that things would return to such a robust and reliable BB design. Fingers crossed however, but I kind of think they will limit T47 to alloy frames for the foreseeable future.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

nickf wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:28 pm
I don't see t47 making its was to carbon. No surprise they kept bb90.

No changes were made to the Emonda SLR frame aside from colorway. The 2020 model appeared with the introduction of Red eTap AXS.

You can plainly see the external routing and zip tie on the fork here:

Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

FIJIGabe wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:15 pm
Seems like Trek pushed out an update to the Emonda. Internal brake routing through the front fork is all I’ve been able to spot. The Trek website confirms BB90.

It also seems as though they’ve dropped the lower-end S model, and the new “entry level” model is the ALR.

I think they've only updated the fork of Emonda SL so far, not the top-level Emonda SLR.

I don't know why not SLR.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Cemicar wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:01 pm

Probably weight. Not sure why T47 is part of this discussion. It's clear the only change to the SL was a fork redesign. If people are really concerned about T47 adding weight to a lightweight frame like the Emonda, they've forgotten about the weight difference between a 24mm steel axle and a 30mm (or 28.99mm) alloy one. It's not a 1:1 exchange, but it keeps everything in the ballpark.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

FIJIGabe wrote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like the same shoddy routing

MitchatTrek

by MitchatTrek

Cemicar wrote:
FIJIGabe wrote:

I think they've only updated the fork of Emonda SL so far, not the top-level Emonda SLR.

Hey folks, I've been lurking on here for some time, just wanted to pop in! All Émonda Disc models get this new fork with the new routing and after July 25th, SLR models in Project One will have it. Cheers! :beerchug:
Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I see now Image

MitchatTrek

by MitchatTrek

jfranci3 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:26 pm
I see now Image
Bingo! Ecpect to see that rolled up to SLRs!
Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

Cemicar

by Cemicar

MitchatTrek wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:22 pm
Hey folks, I've been lurking on here for some time, just wanted to pop in! All Émonda Disc models get this new fork with the new routing and after July 25th, SLR models in Project One will have it. Cheers! :beerchug:
:D This makes me suspect SL and SLR actually shares the same fork...

Note a new set of thru axles is also coming. Maybe not the lightest, but still lighter than the old DT ones to compensate the weight gain of the internal routing?
Attachments
EmondaSL5Disc_20_27880_B_Alt8.jpg

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The DT Swiss axles were only 20gr heavy. How much does a 6mm hex bit weigh?
Last edited by jfranci3 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moyboy

by moyboy

Nice. Welcome to the forum
MitchatTrek wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:22 pm
Cemicar wrote:
FIJIGabe wrote:

MitchatTrek

by MitchatTrek

Cemicar wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:08 pm
Note a new set of thru axles is also coming. Maybe not the lightest, but still lighter than the old DT ones to compensate the weight gain of the internal routing?
That's actually been out for a bit! It is the Bontrager Switch axle - uses a 6mm hex to remove and comes with a lever that is friction fitted into it if you want it on (otherwise you remove it and keep it in your jersey pocket when you need to remove the wheel - unless you carry a multitool).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

You’re probably going to have a 6mm hex on you anyway. I wonder why no one has integrated a tire lever into one of these though or out a 6mm hex on a tire tire lever.