Tubular Repair

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bcmf

by bcmf

Geoff wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:13 pm
Don't bin it, just store it until you have enough tires to bother shipping them off to get fixed.
Last time I did that , and it wasnt Rons fault, I got hit with customs duty when they arrived back in Ireland. Customs werent even interested in the fact I sent them out in the first place.
Effectivley negated the cost of getting them repaired.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rossin67

by Rossin67

For what it's worth, I was in a pinch and glued the basetape on with some Loctite flexable adhesive that I had. I will never use anything else again, it's perfect. Dries fast and no issues when riding. Rode it about 600 miles or so before the tire finally wore out. When I peeled the tire back off the rim the tape held.

audioblazer

by audioblazer

Hi need some info . Is Continental GP4K S2 Tubular punctured repairable ?

1415chris

by 1415chris

It's seamless construction, so if you mean whether it can be open for repair, answer is nope.
Smaller punctures can be fixed as any other tub using sealant.

audioblazer

by audioblazer

Yup open up for repair. Thanks

addictR1

by addictR1

What and how would you guys recommend in fixing a cut like this? I put about 200 miles tops on these veloflex carbon.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

addictR1 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:51 pm
What and how would you guys recommend in fixing a cut like this? I put about 200 miles tops on these veloflex carbon.Image

I've used crazy glue (I'm assuming it's just a cut in the tread)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I’ve been trying this neoprene cement that I picked up at a Dive Shop for cuts exactly like that. Even if they don’t spread, without filling then crud etc will embed itself in there and eventually flat your tube. This stuff is black, flexible, and seems to be ok. Quite a few various products you could try I suppose...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

1415chris

by 1415chris

I use Super Glue. At one point I tried Super Glue Flex, as the name suggests for gluing flexible materials, but I couldn't see the difference.

addictR1

by addictR1

Calnago wrote:I’ve been trying this neoprene cement that I picked up at a Dive Shop for cuts exactly like that. Even if they don’t spread, without filling then crud etc will embed itself in there and eventually flat your tube. This stuff is black, flexible, and seems to be ok. Quite a few various products you could try I suppose...
Sweet! I’ll give that a try. Would come in handy to use on my ROKA shorts when the time comes too.

KCookie

by KCookie

I'm glad I saw this post as now I have just ordered a tube to hopefully fix a side wall split. Nearly new tyre so worth a try.

Also some advice please.
My rear tyre kept going flat over night so I used a little orange seal and was fine the next day. Went for a ride Friday and I heard that horrible noise when you get a puncture, i could see a small hole as the orange seal was trying to escape. Held my finger over the hole for a few minutes and all was good to get myself home but i also noticed the other damage to. Pic attached. Should I ride with this tyre with that damage or to far gone or could I use some of the neoprene cement I've got coming.
Cheers Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

jekyll man

by jekyll man

KCookie wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:31 pm
I'm glad I saw this post as now I have just ordered a tube to hopefully fix a side wall split. Nearly new tyre so worth a try.

Also some advice please.
My rear tyre kept going flat over night so I used a little orange seal and was fine the next day. Went for a ride Friday and I heard that horrible noise when you get a puncture, i could see a small hole as the orange seal was trying to escape. Held my finger over the hole for a few minutes and all was good to get myself home but i also noticed the other damage to. Pic attached. Should I ride with this tyre with that damage or to far gone or could I use some of the neoprene cement I've got coming.
Cheers Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Thats shagged mate...
Official cafe stop tester

KCookie

by KCookie

Thought as much, will bin it. Thanks for the reply.

KCookie

by KCookie

Calnago wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:54 pm
I’ve been trying this neoprene cement that I picked up at a Dive Shop for cuts exactly like that. Even if they don’t spread, without filling then crud etc will embed itself in there and eventually flat your tube. This stuff is black, flexible, and seems to be ok. Quite a few various products you could try I suppose...
Hi Calnago,
My tube arrived today so over the weekend I will attempt to fix my sidewall puncture. My question is, after you use the cement would you still add a little orange seal or is that not necessary.
Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Kcookie: To be clear, I only use that neoprene cement to fill cuts in the tread etc. that might otherwise just become cavities for crud to get embedded in and ultimately cause a puncture. I don’t use it to actually fix a puncture. For example, the last time I used it was due to a piece of embedded glass which created a cut in the tread, then eventually a small puncture in the latex tube (Arrenberg). I used a little sealant which sealed the puncture. But since the cut in the tire still left a gap I just used the neoprene cement to try and fill that gap so as to prevent any road crud from embedding in the gap and causing another puncture. If I get another flat on this tire then, since I added some sealant to fix the first puncture, there may be enough sealant left to fix the second puncture. If not, I just add a bit more at time of puncture. I try to only use about 10-15ml, and I don’t use it as a preventative measure. I found too much sealant in a high pressure road tubular ends up clogging the valve, especially with the every ride inflation ritual that needs be done with latex tubes.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ