There is no more rim brake technology....

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
User avatar
StanK
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:10 am
Location: Croatia

by StanK

Yesterday and today I stumbled on Eurosport coverage of Route d'Occitanie.
I see nobody (literally nobody of some 20-30 riders that I saw on coverage) ride disc brakes. Obviously no one really needs them. I don't know what else reason would it be.

User avatar
kgt
Posts: 8648
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:29 am
Location: Athens, Greece

by kgt

There's no other reason.

by Weenie


fxx
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:10 pm

by fxx

kgt wrote:There's no other reason.
Manufacturer's drive for rim brake obsolescence.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk


1415chris
Posts: 1383
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:59 am
Location: Surrey UK

by 1415chris

Come on guys, discs are brilliant. The more people switch to them, the more chance I've got to acquire interesting rim brake wheels for stupid price; )

User avatar
Maximilian
Posts: 335
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:09 pm
Location: Warwickshire

by Maximilian

1415chris wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:54 pm
Come on guys, discs are brilliant. The more people switch to them, the more chance I've got to acquire interesting rim brake wheels for stupid price; )
You're not wrong! And metal bikes too, I keep having people gawk at my bike astonished that it's not made of carbon fibre!

User avatar
wheelsONfire
Posts: 3427
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 am
Location: NorthEU

by wheelsONfire

StanK wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:29 pm
Yesterday and today I stumbled on Eurosport coverage of Route d'Occitanie.
I see nobody (literally nobody of some 20-30 riders that I saw on coverage) ride disc brakes. Obviously no one really needs them. I don't know what else reason would it be.
Perhaps wheels still take too long time to swap (+ possible rotor drag towards brake pads)!?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)


Ex bike; Vial EVO D

spdntrxi
Posts: 3820
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

by spdntrxi

1415chris wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:54 pm
Come on guys, discs are brilliant. The more people switch to them, the more chance I've got to acquire interesting rim brake wheels for stupid price; )
which is why I sold most of mine before it was too late.. think I did pretty well except for the tubs... always get killed on tubs
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

User avatar
Hellgate
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:49 pm

by Hellgate

All I know is there a smokin' deals to be had on Boras right now. I'll stay with rim brakes for now, thank you very much. After being bleed edge with disc brakes back in 2003 with a CDale CX bike, I'll stay with cantis and sidepulls...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk


dolophonic
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:43 am
Location: The 'Dena

by dolophonic

Hellgate wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:58 pm
All I know is there a smokin' deals to be had on Boras right now. I'll stay with rim brakes for now, thank you very much. After being bleed edge with disc brakes back in 2003 with a CDale CX bike, I'll stay with cantis and sidepulls...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
could you point me towards any of those deals ? i would love a set of Boras !! thanks

fromtrektocolnago
Posts: 1143
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:15 pm

by fromtrektocolnago

i don't even know what that means. Shimano , SRAM and Campy continue to produce rim brake group sets and even came out with direct mount brakes recently. Wheels will continue to be built and offered as long as old bikes exist and new ones get sold. Colnago c64 comes in both and both are selling. I think the death of rim brakes is a bit premature. Frankly I ownly bought my C64 in disc brake version because of an upcoming trip to the swiss alps and i'm a believer that there is an advantage on long descents and in rain conditions. For my local riding I see only a modest benefit along with some negatives such as added bike weight, metalic noise and the possibility of locking up the brakes while fixing a flat.

I do believe one thing that if you want carbon wheels disc is the only way to go. rim carbon brake bikes just don't stop as well as alloy wheel versions and I believe the wheels brake pad will last longer too.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

RossLB
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:18 am

by RossLB

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:24 am
I do believe one thing that if you want carbon wheels disc is the only way to go. rim carbon brake bikes just don't stop as well as alloy wheel versions and I believe the wheels brake pad will last longer too.
I think the use of "believe" is a accurate here, because reality is a little different from belief.

I wanted carbon wheels but was worried about braking, so I bought a disc brake bike last year - a Cervelo R3 - and some Bora 35 carbon wheels. Nice bike, but it has spent about a third of the time I have owned it in the LBS having the brakes adjusted. It is in there now waiting for a warranty replacement on the front brake caliper. When it works it rides very nicely, but I can't say that the disc brakes perform noticeably better than rim brakes. In the dry it is about the same, and in the wet it is a little better. I do seem to go through a set of disc brake pads every three months or so.

I was so impressed with the carbon wheels that I bought a set for my rim brake bike, despite the concerns about braking. The bike is also a Cervelo R3, and the wheels are Fulcrum Speed 40C, with the AC3 braking surface. I was shocked to find that the braking works just as well as alloy rims in dry conditions. I was also shocked that the braking is only marginally worse in the wet, and is better than braking on alloy rims. The Fulcrum carbon brake pads last much longer than disc brake pads.

As a result, I have just ordered a new bike, a Cervelo R5 - rim brake version - on which I will probably put the new Bora WTO wheels. The disc bike will be sold.

robeambro
Posts: 954
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:21 pm

by robeambro

RossLB wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:19 am
fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:24 am
I do believe one thing that if you want carbon wheels disc is the only way to go. rim carbon brake bikes just don't stop as well as alloy wheel versions and I believe the wheels brake pad will last longer too.
I think the use of "believe" is a accurate here, because reality is a little different from belief.
I think the use of “my reality” is accurate here, because YOUR reality turns out to be very different than most others.

hannawald
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:28 pm
Location: Czech Republic

by hannawald

There are 2 scenarios. Many of you say discs are not better, no need to switch. I take it. Another scenario is buying a new bike and deciding between rim brake and disc brake version. Rim brake will be 3/4 kg lighter, perfectly functional but you put your money into something that may be obsolete in couple of years because manufacturers want it to be..

Yes, there is a thread that disc brake standards may be changed but i see no signs of that right now.

If you look at world tour teams that have free choice from sponsors (no Specialized:)) - Lotto Jumbo for example - they use rim brakes, only for rainy conditions they picked disc brake version.

I am in that buying new bike situation now and will probably take disc version. It will be much more costly for me, but i am not buying cheap and 2nd hand this time so tough decision and i am afraid of buying dead technology. The main decisive factor is the wheel technology. With rim brakes i use tubulars because of safety, but i am always a bit afraid of puncture. So i dont ride when there is a real thread of rain..With discs i can go tubeless..

fromtrektocolnago
Posts: 1143
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:15 pm

by fromtrektocolnago

RossLB wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:19 am
fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:24 am
I do believe one thing that if you want carbon wheels disc is the only way to go. rim carbon brake bikes just don't stop as well as alloy wheel versions and I believe the wheels brake pad will last longer too.
but I can't say that the disc brakes perform noticeably better than rim brakes. In the dry it is about the same, and in the wet it is a little better. I do seem to go through a set of disc brake pads every three months or so.

i've heard and read more accounts that rim carbon set-ups can be just awful in wet conditions. so either you have the magic formula in your set-up or your reporting with rose colored glasses. some sportives don't even allow carbon rim set-ups
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

User avatar
Beaver
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:06 pm

by Beaver

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:51 am
RossLB wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:19 am
fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:24 am
I do believe one thing that if you want carbon wheels disc is the only way to go. rim carbon brake bikes just don't stop as well as alloy wheel versions and I believe the wheels brake pad will last longer too.
but I can't say that the disc brakes perform noticeably better than rim brakes. In the dry it is about the same, and in the wet it is a little better. I do seem to go through a set of disc brake pads every three months or so.

i've heard and read more accounts that rim carbon set-ups can be just awful in wet conditions. so either you have the magic formula in your set-up or your reporting with rose colored glasses. some sportives don't even allow carbon rim set-ups
It always depends on the brake track and pads used. Old basalt brack tracks with bad pads are not really good in wet conditions. But Campy just works, as well as e.g. Enve textured or Zipp Showstopper. The general "doesn't brake in wet conditions" is just outdated. I don't know how long this will still be stuck in the heads. ;) And besides the rose colored glasses there are also the grey ones. ;)

Image
https://intheknowcycling.com/2018/10/14 ... ke-wheels/

And who doesn't allow carbon rim set-ups and why?

by Weenie


Post Reply