Paint crack or frame crack?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gwilson

by gwilson

Hey all,
Just noticed this mark on the top of the seatstay of my Madone and am understandably concerned as to whether it’s in the paint/finish or the actually carbon. It passed the tap test which is obviously not definitive, and doesn’t seem raised or anything. What does everyone think? I’ve seen it suggested before to put a coat of nail polish over it and see if that cracks as well. Thanks in advance
Attachments
E5E5F794-9E8A-4A02-90F6-037FAE659A1E.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Geez, I would be more than a little concerned with that. Does it flex when you try to squeeze the tube between your fingers along the fault. Has it been dropped or have you had a fall? I did on my Pina and cracked the seat stay in about the same spot. Sent it away for repair, good as new. Must add though that the damage was about 30% of what yours appears to be
BB

Coffee & carbon

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Did you contact Trek and do it have warranty left?

gwilson

by gwilson

Kumppa wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:29 pm
Did you contact Trek and do it have warranty left?
I noticed the mark after a crash, but didn’t specifically fall on that area so not sure if it’s a coincidence. Trek’s warranty doesn’t cover crashes so I think i’d be out of luck there. If it is damaged I think my best bet is the 90 day purchase protection from my credit card since i’ve only had it 2.5 months. I phones up my local trek dealer who said they’d probably have done the same coin tap test I did, and that i’d want to take it to a carbon repair expert to get a definitive answer

mr2scott

by mr2scott

Have trek dealer put in a warranty claim.

IMO that doesn't not look like crash damage at all. Paint doesn't crack in 2.5 months unless you rode like 5k miles. They have a paint warranty too.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

:unbelievable:

Andres

by Andres

mr2scott wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:01 am
Have trek dealer put in a warranty claim.

IMO that doesn't not look like crash damage at all. Paint doesn't crack in 2.5 months unless you rode like 5k miles. They have a paint warranty too.
In the past, I've known of companies that have covered bikes under warranty that had been crashed when the problem was a known issue, and not the result of a crash. Cervelo's cracking around the threaded bb's are one example I can think of.

So I'd second this suggestion...

kgt

by kgt

IMHO this is not a paint crack

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

That paint will come off, so you might peel it off yourself and have a look. Or (and better), take it back to where you bought it, before you do anything.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

gwilson

by gwilson

beanbiken wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:14 pm
Geez, I would be more than a little concerned with that. Does it flex when you try to squeeze the tube between your fingers along the fault. Has it been dropped or have you had a fall? I did on my Pina and cracked the seat stay in about the same spot. Sent it away for repair, good as new. Must add though that the damage was about 30% of what yours appears to be
Couldn’t get it to flex. Here’s another pic I took. Going to take it into my Trek dealer today, they know I crashed on it so sadly I won’t be able to play dumb in that regards
Attachments
2CE3A0EA-478E-45D1-97BB-A343DCA4565C.jpeg

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Let us know what happens!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

gwilson

by gwilson

Thanks everyone for your advice. I took it into my Trek dealer who said that it's very likely a crack. Since I crashed it, I was told Trek will probably offer me a discounted frame replacement. Now the real question will be whether I can get my credit card to pay for the frame replacement as it was within the 90 day period my purchase is insured against damage/theft for. I've been told Trek will probably get back to me within a few days, but I probably won't be able to give the go ahead to replace it until I get a definitive answer from my credit card, which might be a few weeks. Trek people even said they can lend me a demo road bike while I'm waiting to hear back, so quite impressed with their coverage. At least the rest of the bike is fine

mr2scott

by mr2scott

How did you crash? I've crashed a lot of bikes. I've seen a lot of crashes. Bikes in crashes have obvious impact points and are basically exploded with carbon shards everywhere. I crashed my system six the other day in a race and not a scratch on it ( someone basically swerved in front of me and I had no choice but to go down to the right. Tired to stay upright by leaning on another rider, but he had his hands off the bars because it was near the feed zone so he didn't hold me up. I've crashed mtb bikes so many times. I've never had any damage at all that wasn't caused from an impact with obvious carbon explosion .

So ya how did you crash?

Also most credit cards only have 1000-1500$ purchase protection

fogman

by fogman

You can have that seatstay repaired by Calfee. They will match the paint and you will never know it was ever damaged. I have used them in the past and been very pleased with their workmanship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

MitchatTrek

by MitchatTrek

gwilson wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:19 pm
Thanks everyone for your advice. I took it into my Trek dealer who said that it's very likely a crack. Since I crashed it, I was told Trek will probably offer me a discounted frame replacement. Now the real question will be whether I can get my credit card to pay for the frame replacement as it was within the 90 day period my purchase is insured against damage/theft for. I've been told Trek will probably get back to me within a few days, but I probably won't be able to give the go ahead to replace it until I get a definitive answer from my credit card, which might be a few weeks. Trek people even said they can lend me a demo road bike while I'm waiting to hear back, so quite impressed with their coverage. At least the rest of the bike is fine
Sorry to hear about your crash, such a downer on a gorgeous bike! If you don't hear back from our warranty team, feel free to drop them a ring at 1 (800) 585-8735!

Hope things work out with the CC company! :beerchug:
Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com