New Canyon Aeroad rumors

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

IchDien

by IchDien

Didn't the older aeroad get tested at the Dauphiné?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Yes, Katusha had the updated aeroad at the last few parts of the Dauphine. Then the team leaked the photo. The bike was officially launched just before the TdF. See this article https://road.cc/content/news/124270-tou ... oad-cf-slx

Miles253

by Miles253

Certainly seems well overdue for a couple of new road bikes, I wonder if Canyon will release new Ultimate and Aeroad in one go.
Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

Roel W

by Roel W

Miles253 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:07 pm
Certainly seems well overdue for a couple of new road bikes, I wonder if Canyon will release new Ultimate and Aeroad in one go.
Make it Ultimate, Aeroad and Grail in one time.
New Grail CF with a regular handlebar and/or Grail AL with hydroformed tubes and nice weldings.
And better delivery times for all bikes. And some customisation (wheel choice, stem and handlebar length and width,...). Lots of room for improvements at Canyon.

BMC just released their new Roadmachine with even more tire clearance, bosses for a top tupe bag,... Maybe the Endurace will move in that dirction too to distinguish it more from the Ultimate.

robeambro

by robeambro

Roel W wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:24 am
Miles253 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:07 pm
Make it Ultimate, Aeroad and Grail in one time.
New Grail CF with a regular handlebar and/or Grail AL with hydroformed tubes and nice weldings.
And better delivery times for all bikes. And some customisation (wheel choice, stem and handlebar length and width,...). Lots of room for improvements at Canyon.

BMC just released their new Roadmachine with even more tire clearance, bosses for a top tupe bag,... Maybe the Endurace will move in that dirction too to distinguish it more from the Ultimate.
My guess is that they've been holding the release of their new models cause they've been selling decent volumes of the old ones. Surely their innovation cycle must have been shorter than this (the engineers started working on the new models soon as the current ones were out, and I doubt they were given 5 years to come up with them..). They probably kept refining the new models over time and rescheduled the launch year over year.. But we will never know, I guess.

Clearly that's not a "technological leadership" approach from a brand perspective, but until they win on the road (eg Carapaz, Valverde), and on the dirt (MvdP) that's marketing done for them, and they can make decent profit without "using" their R&D expenditure yet... A completely different approach vs Specialized (to mention one), whereby they release bikes as quickly as possible, touting each minuscule change as a technological breakthrough (be it true or not).

Roel W

by Roel W

I find it hard to believe Canyon (or any other brand) would start the development of a new model just imediately after the release of the current model. That would mean they have a dedicated engineering team for each bike model. That team will work full-time on the development of new iterations of that model. Engineering costs would be insane.
I'm not involved in their internal business but it would make more sense to have one 'road engineering team' that is responsible for the development of all road models in successive order (like Aeroad, Ultimate, Endurace, Grail, Speedmax, Roadlite, Aeroad, Ultimate, Endurace, Grail, Speedmax, Roadlite, Aeroad, Ultimate, Endurace, Grail, Speedmax, Roadlite...). This kind of approach, sharing of technology and experience over the different models would make more sense.

robeambro

by robeambro

Roel W wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:22 am
I find it hard to believe Canyon (or any other brand) would start the development of a new model just imediately after the release of the current model.
Well, that's what Chris Yu from Specialized claimed in some podcast when talking about the new Venge. But again, that came after a kinda crappy release (the Vias), so I can understand they were quite in a hurry to improve upon that one..

Jugi

by Jugi

Roel W wrote:I find it hard to believe Canyon (or any other brand) would start the development of a new model just imediately after the release of the current model.

This kind of approach, sharing of technology and experience over the different models would make more sense.
I don't think those two approaches cancel each other out. If a manufacturer wants to be competitive, development cycles have to be continuously running. If major research and development assigments can be accomplished in-house, most likely it is relatively easy to share all R&D between different models. Big manufacturers can most likely dedicate more people to work on single projects and therefore keep development cycles streamlined & short.

Short development cycles mean more product releases, and more product releases should produce more revenue.

SashaJoseph

by SashaJoseph

Roel W wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:22 am
I find it hard to believe Canyon (or any other brand) would start the development of a new model just imediately after the release of the current model. That would mean they have a dedicated engineering team for each bike model. That team will work full-time on the development of new iterations of that model. Engineering costs would be insane.
I'm not involved in their internal business but it would make more sense to have one 'road engineering team' that is responsible for the development of all road models in successive order (like Aeroad, Ultimate, Endurace, Grail, Speedmax, Roadlite, Aeroad, Ultimate, Endurace, Grail, Speedmax, Roadlite, Aeroad, Ultimate, Endurace, Grail, Speedmax, Roadlite...). This kind of approach, sharing of technology and experience over the different models would make more sense.
I spoke to a Canyon sales representative in the summer of 2018 and he said that the engineering team had been focusing on off-road models (MTB, CX and gravel) lately but that they would turn to road now. This suggests that the same engineers are working on all types of bikes... and also that Canyon's next new bike will be a road bike. Which one(s) and when remains a question mark. Hopefully sooner rather than later... The fact that no rumors or spyshots have emerged can be seen as an indication that it will rather be later. But, a part of me wants to think that Canyon is better than other brands at keeping its secrets in order not to hinder the sale of existing models...

Miles253

by Miles253

I spoke with their PR rep a little while back and they said the very earliest we would see a new model, would be the end of 2019. This would suggest that they really want to sell through their stock of the current range, which they undoubtedly will do through their inevitable TdF sale
Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Miles253 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:27 am
I spoke with their PR rep a little while back and they said the very earliest we would see a new model, would be the end of 2019. This would suggest that they really want to sell through their stock of the current range, which they undoubtedly will do through their inevitable TdF sale
If that's the approach, then the update is actually next year. It makes no sense to reveal the model online-only at the end of the year. That's the quietest period for sales generally, and the bike will get zero attention. Revealing at the TdF has good reasons behind it - lots of ppl watch the race, so the bike gets lots of publicity.

Anyway, we'll see soon enough. I'll be severely disappointed, for one, at the lack of an update - was really quite looking forward to it.

madik

by madik

I think they are just behind the time schedule and they simple didnt produced the final version of new Aeroad in time to provide it to their World tour partners to proper testing. Development cycle could be 2 years or longer and If there were some troubles along the way which would lead to redesigning of the bike it could have lead to severe delays.
Last year was quite big for the competitors. Lots of new great bikes that will certainly affect the look and performance of the new Aeroad. They might have done some changes to make the bike better than the competitors and I would be glad if thats the case because releasing some mediocre bike to the market is just call for trouble.
Functionality > Performance > Weight

Bordcla

by Bordcla

What's wrong with the current generation? Lighter than most other aero bikes, rides great, and looks awesome! Only seems dated to some because it's been here a while. People would applaud it if it were new... Why change for the sake of changing?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Bordcla wrote:... Why change for the sake of changing?
One word... Sales. If all they ever offered was what you already have, then where’s your incentive to get a new one. There isn’t one. Might even be as simple as a cool new color for some. That’s what driving the entire industry these days. The bike industry from a business point of view was stagnant, at least the road bike market. Gotta change things up, create new markets, and/or obsolete the old. Forced obsolescence is as good as a whole new market. Not always for the better, but it is part of the “Innovate or die”, ethos of business. And “innovate” doesn’t necessarily mean for the better.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Discodan

by Discodan

If nothing else, they need to add cockpit integration or it will fall by the wayside. People expect this on their gravel bikes these days, on an Aero bike it will be mandatory going forward

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk