Cannondale TOPSTONE 2019 is released

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sigurd

by Sigurd

frogtape777 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:44 am
Sigurd wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:22 pm
I'm thinking about reducing the stem length on my large Topstone. I'm 186 cm, and the reach, especially on the hoods, feels a bit long. I get some neck pain on rides lasting more than 1,5 hours. According to the specs on cannondale.com, the topstone has a 1 1/8 inch steerer. Will this stem fit: Ritchey WCS C220 84D Stem 31.8 - 1 1/8 Inch and is it compatible with the carbon steerer?

I'm considering reducing the stem length by 20 mm, from the stock 100 mm to 80 mm.
Totally fine with the carbon steerer, better than some due to the fact there are no open cutouts to place excessive stress on one area.

80mm here and really changed the fit for me, (187cm tall) handling still wonderful, and the Ritchey quality beat another 4-5 stems I tried.

Thanks for the quick reply, frogtape777!

Is the stack height about the same compared to the stock stem? I see you have removed one of the spacers below the stem. Is this necessary for installation, or just personal preference? Sorry for the noobness, but this will be my first stem change.

frogtape777

by frogtape777

Sigurd wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:25 am
frogtape777 wrote:
Sigurd wrote:
I'm thinking about reducing the stem length on my large Topstone. I'm 186 cm, and the reach, especially on the hoods, feels a bit long. I get some neck pain on rides lasting more than 1,5 hours. According to the specs on cannondale.com, the topstone has a 1 1/8 inch steerer. Will this stem fit: Ritchey WCS C220 84D Stem 31.8 - 1 1/8 Inch and is it compatible with the carbon steerer?

I'm considering reducing the stem length by 20 mm, from the stock 100 mm to 80 mm.
Totally fine with the carbon steerer, better than some due to the fact there are no open cutouts to place excessive stress on one area.

80mm here and really changed the fit for me, (187cm tall) handling still wonderful, and the Ritchey quality beat another 4-5 stems I tried.

Is the stack height about the same compared to the stock stem? I see you have removed one of the spacers below the stem. Is this necessary for installation, or just personal preference? Sorry for the noobness, but this will be my first stem change.
Hey Sigurd,

The Ritchey has a steerer height of 42mm
The cannondale stock AFAIR is 38mm

So the Ritchey sat too high originally and didn't leave enough gap for the headset to nip up.

So removed x1 cannondale 5mm spacer, and added a x1 1mm spacer, which along with the 4mm higher steerer height gave an identical stack height and a perfect nip up gap for the topcap.

PS The OCD in me should really replace that 1mm with a spacer of the same outer diameter as the rest, but not got round to it :oops: :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

So they're using BB30-83 and displacing the entire drivetrain to the DS by 6mm but they're still using 142mm TA OLD? Why not just use 148mm Boost at that point with MTB hubs and appropriate dishing? This reeks of Specialized's SCS or other halfway measures that quickly died out.

frogtape777

by frogtape777

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:05 am
So they're using BB30-83 and displacing the entire drivetrain to the DS by 6mm but they're still using 142mm TA OLD? Why not just use 148mm Boost at that point with MTB hubs and appropriate dishing? This reeks of Specialized's SCS or other halfway measures that quickly died out.
Wouldn't boost and mtb hubs add a load of uneeded weight though?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

frogtape777 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:14 am

Nope. Like 30g worth of aluminum alloy for both I9 and White Industries hubs, slightly longer spokes, maybe a tiny bit more carbon in the frame for the wider stance, but the Topstone Carbon has already been widened...

frogtape777

by frogtape777

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:41 am
frogtape777 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:14 am

Nope. Like 30g worth of aluminum alloy for both I9 and White Industries hubs, slightly longer spokes, maybe a tiny bit more carbon in the frame for the wider stance, but the Topstone Carbon has already been widened...

Other downside would be fitting a roadwheel set which I know many do for 100% roaddays, would normal road hubs work with boost?

Carbon topstone and roadwheel set would be an incredibly capable multiuse bike, as the Alu one has no trouble keeping up with roadies.

mr2scott

by mr2scott

I really want boost to just stay with MTB's that have bigger than 2.4 tires.

I do not find there to be an advantage to boost in any respect other than making the frame wider to fit huge tires. I'm pretty sure a 110mm wide fork is flexier than a 100mm wide fork. At least it sure feels like that from lower end boost vs non boost forks I've ridden. When you get to the 34-36mm higher end chassis it sort of doesn't matter.

tomh79

by tomh79

triteacher wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:49 pm
I went for the C‘dale Save2 carbon seatpost. At 182g pretty light and it performs great.
Also looked into some light bars but stuck with the original ones in the end. There are of course lighter options available, but the pricepoint kept me from going that way...
What's the difference between the SAVE2 and SAVE seatpost?

also...do you (or anybody) know the official setback and weight of the stock Topstone 105 seatpost (Cannondale C3, 6061 Alloy, 27.2 x 350mm.)?
-I'm guessing 1.5cm setback?!
-weight (google...) 300g?!

Thanks!!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

frogtape777 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:51 am

Other downside would be fitting a roadwheel set which I know many do for 100% roaddays, would normal road hubs work with boost?

Carbon topstone and roadwheel set would be an incredibly capable multiuse bike, as the Alu one has no trouble keeping up with roadies.
Just realized this is the wrong thread for the Topstone Carbon discussion, but may as well reply to this.

Any wheel to be used with the Topstone Carbon needs an offset dish of 6mm anyway, so you can't use the rear wheels from your disc road bike on your Topstone or vice-versa. They should have just gone with Boost.

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi TobinHatesYou,
Yes, the road rim will be 6 mm off.
Nevertheless, it still works great.
Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

This is similar to the madness of SCS hub spacing all over again..

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

frogtape777

by frogtape777

Hmmmmmm this is an oddity, so you'd have to get a custom made 6mm offset wheel? Or are these readily available to buy off the shelf?

I just bought some PR Dicuts from DTswiss for Alu Topstone and work a treat. I'd like the same max compatability if I upgrade to a carbon stone.

frogtape777

by frogtape777

DamonRinard wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:40 am
Hi TobinHatesYou,
Cheers,
Damon
Ah so a normal road rim/wheelet will be 6mm off but still work fine? Any spacers required etc?

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

frogtape777 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:30 am
DamonRinard wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:40 am
Hi TobinHatesYou,
Cheers,
Damon
Ah so a normal road rim/wheelet will be 6mm off but still work fine? Any spacers required etc?
Hi frogtape777,

That's right, no spacers or any kind of adapter required, just pop it in and go.

And 6 mm is nothing in front/rear wheel alignment. Chris Boardman's famous Olympic Lotus was 50 mm offset and it didn't seem to slow him down. :-)

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sigurd

by Sigurd

frogtape777 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:59 pm
Sigurd wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:25 am
frogtape777 wrote:
Sigurd wrote:

Hey Sigurd,

The Ritchey has a steerer height of 42mm
The cannondale stock AFAIR is 38mm

So the Ritchey sat too high originally and didn't leave enough gap for the headset to nip up.

So removed x1 cannondale 5mm spacer, and added a x1 1mm spacer, which along with the 4mm higher steerer height gave an identical stack height and a perfect nip up gap for the topcap.

PS The OCD in me should really replace that 1mm with a spacer of the same outer diameter as the rest, but not got round to it :oops: :lol:
Thanks! I guess I'll just remove 2x5mm spacers and replace them with 2x3mm spacers for a neat look. Do you need to untighten the headset expander to slide the spacers off?