Garmin Varia RTL510

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thaking

by thaking

Does anyone know how can I set up Garmin Varia RTL510 , that it only flash when radar detects cars otherwise is OFF ? Is this possible - I am using garmin 1000.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beancouter

by Beancouter

I don’t believe that is an option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

That's correct. It's not possible.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Request that feature on the Garmin forums. Try to convince them it’s a good thing for group rides where you don’t want other cyclists distracted by an always-on flashing light.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

There's already a post on the Garmin forum that was dated six months ago. So it appears that Garmin knows about the request but chose not to implement it. I agree that this is a nice feature in a group ride. Here's the post: https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitnes ... a-new-mode

Someone from another post said he turns off the light completely but leave the radar on when riding in a group. I don't know how this is done. Perhaps one has to control the lights via the light network.

dim

by dim

I have the older radar unit (the rectangular one), and I can set it on my Garmin Edge 1000 so that the light stays off but it still detects cars (saves on battery life) .... this is done on the garmin edge 1000
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Basically there are no options.

Most of the settings are hardware embedded. For example, you can't change the "switch to flash when cars approach" setting which is just dangerous.

kytyree

by kytyree

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:40 am
Someone from another post said he turns off the light completely but leave the radar on when riding in a group. I don't know how this is done. Perhaps one has to control the lights via the light network.
I believe you are correct, I'll try and remember to double check after work. But, IIRC, when the light is connected to a compatible Garmin computer you can turn just the light off from the computer, or set the light to a different mode.

thaking

by thaking

jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:02 pm
Basically there are no options.

Most of the settings are hardware embedded. For example, you can't change the "switch to flash when cars approach" setting which is just dangerous.
Why should be that dangerous, for who ? It's more safe than nothing !

It's smart light wich you cna control via ant+ whatever you want during ride (flas, solid, on/offf even with di2 etc...) -> it's software at the end not hardware :smartass:

jfranci3

by jfranci3

No, when on Solid it’ll switch to flash just as a car is right behind you. It’s *f##k* dangerous because the change can startle the driver, causing them to give a steering input. This control is closer to the hardware end of things as you cannot simply flash your 510 into a Germany-Spec 511

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Varia radar works from 150 meters out. If a light turning on at that distance startles a motorist, that person should have their license revoked forever. Do braking cars in the distance “startle” motorists too?

thaking

by thaking

jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:23 pm
No, when on Solid it’ll switch to flash just as a car is right behind you. It’s *f##k* dangerous because the change can startle the driver, causing them to give a steering input. This control is closer to the hardware end of things as you cannot simply flash your 510 into a Germany-Spec 511
Still don't understand... It's same functionalltiy as current (flash mode), with exception that when there is no car -> no light.... car can detect flash light from 100-200m, or if there is a hill between, it can happen that he will detect light last mili-seconds before he will notice also a bike.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:05 pm
The Varia radar works from 150 meters out. If a light turning on at that distance startles a motorist, that person should have their license revoked forever. Do braking cars in the distance “startle” motorists too?
It switches modes at about 25ft-50ft out IIRC. If it didn’t it further back, it’d just be annoying.

The brake light on a car is designed to catch your attention with a near instant ON. It is also ahead of you, where you’re looking and expecting it. You sense a cars brake light with your central vision, your peripheral vision is designed to grab your attention when there is unplanned movement. The last thing you want is to give a drowsy drive something that grabs their attention and turns their eye just as they pass you; you naturally steer where you’re looking.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

So what’s the problem with it turning on at 500ft out and switching modes again at 50ft out? I’m probably going to be killed by a “drowsy driver” either way. Let’s stop making excuses for the driver who was spooked by a taillight that turned on 500ft away.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

So today I rode with a group and at the start I asked them if my flashing lights bothered them. They said 'no'. Are they saying this because they like me or are they really telling the truth? The thing is I have never ridden behind a rider with Varia. One of my riding buddies has a Cycliq but his unit's light is so pathetically weak it doesn't bother me at all.