Yup... another etap front derailleur thread. Sanity check.

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
NickJHP
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:22 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

by NickJHP

Leviathan wrote:
NickJHP wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:06 pm

Image
Sorry, dont really care about the shifting but you get Kudos for having "Gravity´s rainbow" in your bookcase. More, if you finished it..
I read the whole book at university about 45 years ago. Went back to it a few years ago after coming across a few references to it in "The Great War and Modern Memory", but only made it through a small part of the book before giving up.

User avatar
Leviathan
Posts: 1210
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Mallorca, Spain
Contact:

by Leviathan

8)

by Weenie


Methodical
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:40 pm

by Methodical

wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:16 pm
No problems cross shifting using all gears (11-28) with both chainrings (50/36).
No chainrub in any combination, no chaindrop.
The 3 wedges, use the one that fits, that's why you have 3 of them.
Torque, as mentioned above and it doesn't come off.
My chainstays are 403mm.
Set up is as suggested by Sram.
Ditto for me, except my chainstay is 410mm and I have 11-32 and 50/34. I set mine up as specified by Sram and I have no overshifts or dropped chains (inside or outside) :thumbup: I've been riding Etap since August '18. FYI: Etap is installed on a 2012 Trek Madone 4.6 and I am using all Sram components.

I installed Etap on my new frameset (Emonda SLR) but have not finished the build. Hopefully, it works just a smoothly as the unit on my Madone.
Last edited by Methodical on Sun May 12, 2019 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Trek Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg
'12 Trek Madone (Black) - 6.96kg
Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

RocketRacing
Posts: 833
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 2:43 am

by RocketRacing

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:28 am
RocketRacing wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:26 am

So where to go next then? I have not adjusted rd limit screws. I am also at 5mm fd to big ring teeth clearance as the fd is bittomed on the braze on adaptor. The onky way to get lower is to shave netal off the braze on derailier.

Any tips would be appreciated?

5mm is "fine." Your problem is almost certainly an incorrect yaw angle, which also leads to bad limit adjustments based on that incorrect yaw angle.
Cool. I feel as if the fd would always change it’s yaw on me slightly (yaw out to the drive side), just as i torqued it to spec. I did it and added the wedge earlier, even tried forcing the damn thing to stay put as i torqued it.

Any tips?

I also have yet to do the rd, so who knows what is going on there. I will probably go over the rd (i need to learn as i go), then try to readjust the fd, then recheck the rd.

Methodical
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:40 pm

by Methodical

RocketRacing wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 1:53 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:28 am
RocketRacing wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:26 am

So where to go next then? I have not adjusted rd limit screws. I am also at 5mm fd to big ring teeth clearance as the fd is bittomed on the braze on adaptor. The onky way to get lower is to shave netal off the braze on derailier.

Any tips would be appreciated?

5mm is "fine." Your problem is almost certainly an incorrect yaw angle, which also leads to bad limit adjustments based on that incorrect yaw angle.
Cool. I feel as if the fd would always change it’s yaw on me slightly (yaw out to the drive side), just as i torqued it to spec. I did it and added the wedge earlier, even tried forcing the damn thing to stay put as i torqued it.

Any tips?

I also have yet to do the rd, so who knows what is going on there. I will probably go over the rd (i need to learn as i go), then try to readjust the fd, then recheck the rd.
I always setup the RD before dealing with the front. I need to make sure all is good and lined up in the back before even thinking about touching the FD. If not, in my opinion, it'll be like a dog chasing it's tail.

Just One Man's Opinion...
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Trek Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg
'12 Trek Madone (Black) - 6.96kg
Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

RocketRacing
Posts: 833
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 2:43 am

by RocketRacing

Very logical.

Johhny Bravo
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:06 am
Location: Minas Gerais, Brazil

by Johhny Bravo

RocketRacing wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:30 am
Here is the etap parts kit. Looks like there are 3 wedges. I have never heard of the other type of wedge.

F97D68D5-0665-49F4-A19F-C49AD77A4B53.jpeg
download/file.php?id=74823&mode=view

Could someone please show me how to use those supplied wedges?
I just got my first etap kit and have no idea where and which wedge I should use (I mean one of those 3 tiny ones that come with the kit).
Ride safe!
Eduardo
2011 Look 695 SR

User avatar
wheelsONfire
Posts: 2894
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 am
Location: NorthEU

by wheelsONfire

Johhny Bravo wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:52 pm
RocketRacing wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:30 am
Here is the etap parts kit. Looks like there are 3 wedges. I have never heard of the other type of wedge.

F97D68D5-0665-49F4-A19F-C49AD77A4B53.jpeg
download/file.php?id=74823&mode=view

Could someone please show me how to use those supplied wedges?
I just got my first etap kit and have no idea where and which wedge I should use (I mean one of those 3 tiny ones that come with the kit).
Check the backside of your FD and you'll find a small hole with threads.
One of the wedges fits between the rear of the FD and your frame. So you set the FD and then you check which one of the wedges works best.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)


Ex bike; Vial EVO D

Methodical
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:40 pm

by Methodical

Johhny Bravo wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:52 pm
RocketRacing wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:30 am
Here is the etap parts kit. Looks like there are 3 wedges. I have never heard of the other type of wedge.

F97D68D5-0665-49F4-A19F-C49AD77A4B53.jpeg
download/file.php?id=74823&mode=view

Could someone please show me how to use those supplied wedges?
I just got my first etap kit and have no idea where and which wedge I should use (I mean one of those 3 tiny ones that come with the kit).
Sram's eTap installation video (check at 7:52)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotatio ... #t=6m31.5s
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Trek Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg
'12 Trek Madone (Black) - 6.96kg
Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 4033
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

Here are the clearances I ended up with to make eTap front shifting work 99.9% of the time. The video shows the clearance of the cage exterior and lower limit screw is <1mm during the overshift while the RD is in the large cogs. Yes, the overshift does seem to vary depending on gear combo. The second photo simply shows the chain to cage clearance in the 11t cog.

https://giant.gfycat.com/UntriedSpheric ... miner.webm

Image

User avatar
pdlpsher1
Posts: 2420
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:09 pm
Location: CO

by pdlpsher1

That's quite a big movement on the overshift. Didn't know this until now as I don't own eTap. Is there any overshift on the rear eTap RD? On Di2 there's no FD overshift at all, and the only overshift on the RD is going from the 12 to 11 cog.

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 4033
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:25 am
That's quite a big movement on the overshift. Didn't know this until now as I don't own eTap. Is there any overshift on the rear eTap RD? On Di2 there's no FD overshift at all, and the only overshift on the RD is going from the 12 to 11 cog.

The overshift on eTap has never changed, it's always been this way. The RD has no overshift function as it's a precision movement rather than a blunt instrument.

I'm pretty sure my Emonda is way more temperamental with the front derailleur than the Madone.

User avatar
pdlpsher1
Posts: 2420
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:09 pm
Location: CO

by pdlpsher1

I need to correct my earlier statement on the lack of Di2 FD overshift. There's indeed overshift in both directions. The amount of the overshift depends on the position of the RD.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post