2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Karvalo

by Karvalo

rainerhq wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:38 pm
Yesterday at Dauphine, when Alaphilippe won.
Who has the worst riding style ever - Alaphilippe. He was at least two times on the grass, because of these sudden direction changes he makes.
Watching him descend is legit terrifying, the stages he won at the Tour last year I was hiding behind the sofa. He clearly has no fear!

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Calnago wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:21 pm
I think I remember it being within 9 months, however in practice I really think this is one of those rules that is pretty easy to “get around”. Look at Specialized with the rim brake bikes they did for Boonen etc. They had no incentive or desire to promote rim brake bikes to the public, so while maybe you technically could have gotten one (I’m not aware of anyone who did) I think they were pretty hidden from the public at large. Being “available” and being visibly promoted or even produced in more than a handful quantity are quite different things.
I don't think the UCI enforces it seriously now, maybe since the last UCI elections which saw some changes in staff and directions at the technical committee. Perhaps they make enough money with those UCI approval stickers (which have a new look for 2020) and they're busy wasting their time testing for motors at every races. Boonen and Sagan's rim brake Roubaix is an exemple, Sagan used one of these until last year, they were never available to the public. EF have been using Cannondale Super Slices with rim brakes in time trials for about a year yet you can only buy it with disc brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, funny how that works, isn’t it. No more pressure on UCI to reduce the 6.8kg weight limit either. Hmmm... makes you wonder (not really) who is really in charge of making and/or enforcing the rules.... the UCI or the Manufacturers. Both for sure, but the manufacturers definitely wield a lot of weight as far as UCI decisions go. To think otherwise is just being naive.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The manufacturers would be all over the weight rule disappearing. It gives them a reason to explore even lighter designs than they are currently aiming for. Besides, if the brands were in charge, there wouldn’t be nonsense aesthetic rules about double triangles, tube profiles and seatstay height.

mattr

by mattr

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:25 pm
The manufacturers would be all over the weight rule disappearing. It gives them a reason
to tell everyone their current bikes are shit and out of date and HAVE to be replaced RIGHT now......... :wink:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Yep, precisely.

mattr

by mattr

Dan Gerous wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:51 pm
Sagan used one of these until last year, they were never available to the public. EF have been using Cannondale Super Slices with rim brakes in time trials for about a year yet you can only buy it with disc brakes.
If you know the right people, and are also one of the right people you can probably get one.

It's a bit like the UKSI bikes, 30K for a frame and fork and something like a 2 year wait. Except for these, you need to know a man on the inside as well.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

rainerhq wrote:
Who has the worst riding style ever - Alaphilippe. He was at least two times on the grass, because of these sudden direction changes he makes. :evil: :evil: :evil:
he is the worst person to be anywhere around you on a break... he is constantly all over the place. Maybe it's his tactic if you follow you have to concentrate on not crossing his wheel and if you lead he will out sprint you.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:38 pm
rainerhq wrote:
Who has the worst riding style ever - Alaphilippe. He was at least two times on the grass, because of these sudden direction changes he makes. :evil: :evil: :evil:
he is the worst person to be anywhere around you on a break... he is constantly all over the place. Maybe it's his tactic if you follow you have to concentrate on not crossing his wheel and if you lead he will out sprint you.
I think I'd still prefer to be near him than Ilnur Zakarin, that guy can crash on his own on a flat straight road with no wind! But yeah, I was also wondering if it was just to stress the others and to avoid them riding too close on his wheel. The guy can descend fast and well when he concentrates on it, he was a good cyclocrosser too...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

mattr wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:25 pm
The manufacturers would be all over the weight rule disappearing. It gives them a reason
to tell everyone their current bikes are shit and out of date and HAVE to be replaced RIGHT now......... :wink:
If the weight rule was gone, or even reduced significantly, so would be disc brakes in the peloton, unless they want to sacrifice rider safety by allowing even more material to be taken from the frames themselves, to make up for the added weight of discs. Lest I remind you of the interview with Trek’s technical director when he himself implied that lowering the weight limit at this point would create an unfair advantage to those that wanted to introduce even lighter rim brake bikes. Trek themselves could easily just send out their rim brake Emonda right now as is to get to around 6.4kg or so. The weight limit as it is provides an “equal playing field” if you will for discs to be in the peloton. With some frames well under 1000g as it is, would you really want it be on one with over 50% of the frame material removed to be able to compete on weight with an otherwise equivalent rim braked bike. No thanks. But at the current weight limit, no problem for discs. Not even talking about adding the weight or “aero” into the equation. Hence, all of a sudden there is no more pressure from manufacturers to reduce the weight limit. So no, they would definitely NOT be all over a reduction in the weight limit at this point. At least not the manufacturers heavily promoting discs and aero.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

spdntrxi wrote:
rainerhq wrote:
Hmmm... I actually thought Alaphiliipe was an awesome descender. Certainly remember flying down some pretty fast technical descents at last year’s Tour out in front with guys chasing who I could not catch up let alone pass. Looked very smooth to me. We all take bad lines now and then... what’s a little grass in the wheels to a pro these days. Image. No risk, no win.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

They can already get the Emonda SLR Disc around 6.4kg (mine was...with tubeless clinchers,) just as they can get the rim brake version under 6kg. You would still see disc bikes on flat stages. And you would see more deliberate weight savings in other components like stems/bars/cages/computer mounts/etc.

Trek would probably also decide not to switch to T47, and other manufacturers like Specialized would stop bonding in alloy races or full sleeves in their press-fit shells.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

I didn´t mean his descending skills, but like spdntrxi said, he is the worst person to be anywhere around you on a break... he is constantly all over the place
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

rainerhq wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:20 pm
I didn´t mean his descending skills, but like spdntrxi said, he is the worst person to be anywhere around you on a break... he is constantly all over the place

If he’s in front, then he gets to choose the line. Want to avoid that? Then get around him and hold your position.

madik

by madik

Wout Poels looks extraordinary strong, like G last year. Seams like he could be a real contender in the Tour after all.
Functionality > Performance > Weight

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com