Le club Time

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

m4k1

by m4k1

the disc aktiv looks horrible and the red adh is kinda unbalanced. big aero-ish fork and headtube and the very skinny seatpost don´t go well together in my opinion

kgt

by kgt

You are just used to the looks of your vxrs ; )

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

m4k1

by m4k1

probably. a bike from an era when (most) frames had nice proportions

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Or maybe he just prefers, for good reasons of his own, the looks of his VXRS. If you have to “get used to” the looks of something, and yes, that can happen for sure, but when it takes convincing... well... hmmmm. When I got my C59, sloping top tubes had been part of the C50 lineup for a number of years already. I wondered if maybe I was just set in my preferences and whether I should go “sloping” or not. Perhaps I just needed to “get used to it” I thought. So I had two frames sent to me, the 61 Traditional and a 56 Sloping, both in the matte 3k finish. Was going to mock them up and decide. Threw some wheels on them, stared at them for a few days, and didn’t even need to build them both up completely. The sloping frame went back and I have zero regrets to this day.
Regarding the Aktiv fork however, I think that is just a butt ugly heavy 550g boat anchor. And the disc version is even uglier.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kgt

by kgt

I also prefer non sloping top tubes but I don't agree with the comments on aesthetics. In comparison to other contemporary frames Time frames look almost classic (and classy).

phoom11

by phoom11

And she’s done....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m4k1

by m4k1

i can´t agree with that

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

So much nicer without the dropped seatstays. There is nothing “classic” about dropped seatstays, and they often make fitting rim brakes and the associated cable run less than ideal.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

JCrider

by JCrider

Another fit question guys. I've decided to buy ADH01 disc for my next framset. I own 2009 RXR size XS ETT=53.5 and also 2012 NXR in Small ETT=54cm. Its a 1/2 cm difference but both bikes have different geometry.

Looks like Time changed the seatpost setback from what I am used to. I see from posts and pics online that 2018 ADH01 had a vertical bar to move saddle a bit forward and back. 2019 (at least the disc model) seems to gone back to fixed post saddle attachment with a slight setback.

The XS RXR fits me perfect with my SI SLR flow carbonio saddle rails centered middle of the post. I can ride small NXR but I feel more strecthed out on the hoods. Both bikes have same model 100mm Time stem and same saddle.

I am reading here on some posts that should go up a size but I don't want to make an expensive mistake with resale price of these being not great. I like these bikes and they don't beat me up on multi day 100+ mile rides. Most important thing is if my fit is slightly off then I can't ride due to old achilles and IT band injuries coming back(funny how few mms makes a difference).

I will post my current saddle setup and saddle height height later. For those who had an RXR or NXR and own one of the new Time frames; did you end up going up a size for ADH or even a Scylon which seems to have same geometry?
Attachments
IMG_2854.JPG
IMG_2853.JPG
IMG_2852.JPG

JCrider

by JCrider

Here are the actual bikes.(Been lurking for many years but will be more aktiv now :D )
Attachments
IMG_8968.JPG
IMG_2586.JPG

kgt

by kgt

I have not ridden either NXR or RXR but looking at the geometries and judging from your pictures I would suggest you go for size XS. The geometry of an XS Alpe d' Huez will be better IMHO. You will only have to use a longer than 100mm stem.

RXR

NXR

AdH

JCrider

by JCrider

Thanks kgt. I think you are right. Looks like Time is measuring the effective top tube from front of the seat tube now vs. center of the seat tube in the past. Although NXR geometry looks same in terms of numbers TT would be slightly longer on the newer frames. Found this pic online which shows that the 2019 disc AdH saddle adapter is now slightly setback.

Skewers are now 12mm from the pic. Curious what is the max tire size that can be used on this frame.
Attachments
AdHpost19.jpg
AdH19disc.jpg
Last edited by JCrider on Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You really can’t be comparing their current “effective top tube” length to anything. Or their seat tube angle. Or their seatpost setback. Because their published seattube angle relates to nothing real, the actual seat tube angle is much slacker than what’s published, it just creates a confusing mess for people that know geometry and really are looking closely at that stuff to ensure everything is where it’s expected to be once all built up. If the extra small fit you in the older version, you probably will be fine with an extra small in the current version. However, due to the design of the seat clamp, there is significantly less fore/aft saddle adjustment available than had it been a more standard type of clamp.
So, assuming you get your fit right, taking what you said about liking the “all day comfort” of say, an RXR, you will be in for quite a shock with something like a Skylon, as I’ve had some time on a RXR Ulteam (noodle) and a lot of time on the newer Skylon. I found the RXR Ulteam very soft and noodle like and would not want to be in the mountains with it, so unlike you I would much prefer the Skylons stiffness. However, the Skylon is a noticeably harsh ride. I know you’re looking at the Adh but they share the same geometry. Hopefully the Adh is not as harsh, but hopefully it’s not a noodle either. In your favor in that regard, if it does lean toward the lighter and more noodly side of things, the fact that your on a smaller frame will help.
Last edited by Calnago on Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCrider

by JCrider

Calnago wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:33 pm
... If the extra small fit you in the older version, you probably will be fine with an extra small in the current version. However, due to the design of the seat clamp, there is significantly less fore/aft saddle adjustment available than had it been a more standard type of clamp.
So, assuming you get your fit right, taking what you said about liking the “all day comfort” of say, an RXR, you will be in for quite a shock with something like a Skylon, as I’ve had some time on a RXR Ulteam (noodle) and a lot of time on the newer Skylon. I found the RXR Ulteam very soft and noodle like and would not want to be in the mountains with it, so unlike you I would much prefer the Skylons stiffness. However, the Skylon is a noticeably harsh ride. I know you’re looking at the Adh but they share the same geometry. Hopefully the Adh is not as harsh, but hopefully it’s not a noodle either. In your favor in that regard, if it does lean toward the lighter and more noodly side of things, the fact that your on a smaller frame will help.
Roads here around NYC area are crap and getting worse each year so I need a "noodle" to ride around without getting beat up. Weigh 165lbs with gear (75kg), I don't do crits and not related to Marcel Kittel for sprinting. I have the RXR since 2009 and don't think I experienced the noodle feeling that you are talking about. Had no name cheap carbon and AL frames in the past that experienced the noodle feel and total noodle at high speed. I took RXR to the Alps for a week and did prety good few years back. Maybe it is the XS size of mine or maybe you had a lemon but without riding too many bikes I am OK with it. Tested a Cervelo S3 way back and felt like being on a rodeo, the bull trying to dump me off it's back so that turned me off from super stiff carbon. Only time I feel flex is when standing up and climbing but that is not for a long time. Not much of an energy loss during seated high cadence climbing.

Agree with you on the 550g boat anchor Aktiv fork. For some reason they are pusing it hard. If it was few gr. heavier would not mind trying but that is never the case. I could have picked up a Scylon Aktiv disc for $3200 but frame with fork, headset was 1750g without the seatpost!.

Just ordered AdH with regular disc fork in XS. Thank you and kgt for confirming what I was already targeting in terms of size of XS.

This is the standard brake version but it should look like this:
Attachments
BlackAndWhite2.jpg

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I sure hope they’ve lengthened the chainstays on the disc version beyond the 404mm for all sizes that they had. It’s hard enough to dial in the shifting as it is with the non disc version, and with no compensation for the wider rear dropout spacing of discs there would most certainly be a compromise to shifting setup. Longer stays would also lessen the harshness of the ride as well, which is a trait you seem to be leaning towards. And the longer chainstays would also allow for a bit larger tires, which would go a long way towards smoothing out those crap roads you ride in NYC.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com