How no-warning carbon wheel failure wiped out top pro cycling coach

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

otoman

by otoman

Agree. Completely.

Makes me think long and hard about my AliExpress rims.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

This event makes you think long and hard about Your AliExpress rims and not the fact that they’re AliExpress rims to begin with?

otoman

by otoman

Longer and Harder.

At least that's what your wife said. :P

You walked right into that one :lol: :beerchug:
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

flying

by flying

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:20 pm
This event makes you think long and hard about Your AliExpress rims and not the fact that they’re AliExpress rims to begin with?
My own experience over the years with carbon also tell me name brand does not mean fool proof

Having had 2 broken Cervelo's R2.5 frames & one cracked FSA K Force carbon seat post
None of my carbon breakages was due to any crash/hard knock etc...just a failure

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

How big was the pothole?.....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

tarmackev

by tarmackev

robeambro wrote:I don't know, seems odd that he'd remember that the wheel failed catastrophically with no warning. Sounds like a very selective piece of information to recall from an otherwise blacked out event. Don't mean he's lying, but he may not remember what actually happened, and his mind created a "false memory" of the accident to explain what happened. Wouldn't be unusual, there's plenty of such things happening to people who suffer mental or physical traumas.

(Or maybe the wheel did fail catastrophically with no warning. I don't know. Just offering an alternative point of view.)

My thoughts as well, unless you’re looking at the wheel at the time it’s hard to know what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glepore

by glepore

Nefarious86 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:16 am
How big was the pothole?.....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Yeah, or the stick that got caught between the stays and the wheel. Yes, stuff fails, but that damage is not a sudden failure of the layup.
I spent a lot of time representing injured cyclists. A pretty large number of them that are in solo unwitnessed crashes have no idea of what happened. Usually, there was a foreign object or road defect involved. Easy to miss at 60kph.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

glepore wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:40 pm

Yeah, or the stick that got caught between the stays and the wheel. Yes, stuff fails, but that damage is not a sudden failure of the layup.

I wouldn’t necessarily say that...system weight, acceleration and radial spoke tension could cause a defective rim to fail. I had a spontaneous failure in my Venn Rev 35 TCD that probably happened in less strenuous conditions. That rim has been known to fail at the spoke bed though.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

glepore wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:40 pm
I spent a lot of time representing injured cyclists. A pretty large number of them that are in solo unwitnessed crashes have no idea of what happened. Usually, there was a foreign object or road defect involved. Easy to miss at 60kph.
Here is a stick (more like a tree branch tbh) in the spokes at 40 kph, also on a Roval rim:

Interesting to note that the other spokes are still intact in the other picture. I'd really like to see some more pictures of the other failure.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

That will buff out. Also #orangesealed

kgt

by kgt

I cannot see why people think that Roval wheels are of high quality. Just a generic, mass made in China (?) product.
Campagnolo or Corima or LW, these are high quality wheels.

sychen

by sychen

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the first roval one seen to have an "unexplained" failure?
One where we know nothing about the history of the wheel.. How it's used.. Where it's been.. How it's treated..

Yes it's used by a pro coach... But can they attest noo knocks ever occurred in transit? Dropped... Hit by flying stones... Etc

Not saying it's not a defect.. But with no evidence.. Seems alot of hand wringing to jump onto the "this product /brand sucks and xxx is better" bandwagon.

Any manufacturer will have duds and faulty products.. That's why there are warranties... It's how you standby your product when it fails that reflects truly on the manufacturer.

Would love to hear actual facts from the investigation into this issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wookski

by Wookski

kgt wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:32 am
I cannot see why people think that Roval wheels are of high quality. Just a generic, mass made in China (?) product.
Campagnolo or Corima or LW, these are high quality wheels.
Agree, leave the wheel manufacturing to the experts.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:00 pm
The wheel failed. Why try to blame the rider's memory?
Because the article specifically states he doesn't remember the crash?

It depends if he was riding with someone else, really. If he was and they saw it, fine. If he was on his own there's no basis for saying it was a no warning failure, because he doesn't know what happened.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Karvalo wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:53 am
AJS914 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:00 pm
The wheel failed. Why try to blame the rider's memory?
Because the article specifically states he doesn't remember the crash?

It depends if he was riding with someone else, really. If he was and they saw it, fine. If he was on his own there's no basis for saying it was a no warning failure, because he doesn't know what happened.

That being said, I see no evidence of an impact failure on the edge of the rim (what's visible in the frame at least.) The pulled spoke is also straight so it's unlikely a foreign object got jammed in the spokes.