Trek Émonda 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ortziomenaka

by ortziomenaka

My emonda with new frame.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Trek Top Fuel 9.8SL 10.04kg
Trek Emonda SL5 6.940kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

rmcbike wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:53 pm
doccycle wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:21 pm
I tried to find information or pictures regarding the DI2 internal battery.

Does anyone have pictures or explanations for this?
Is it easy to place the battery or to remove it?

Thank you in advance!
I've been thinking about this for a while since i plan on building mine with Di2 (unless Sram Etap 12s makes me change my mind :roll: ) You can't put the battery in the seatpost and from photos i've seen it does not appear to be located in the downtube either :? Maybe someone can comment on this
It goes in the seatmast. Here's a quick instruction from a prior-generation Madone that uses the same seat mast arrangment as your Emonda.

http://www.theeverydaycyclist.co.uk/201 ... 2-upgrade/

rmcbike

by rmcbike

So, my frameset has finally arrived :D I haven't unwrapped it from the bubble protectors yet as i will wait until i have all the parts available to start building. Will post pictures and weight once i start the build

As expected, no seatmast came with the frame but in the end the shop owner offered a 50% discount since he had told me that it came with one from factory. The good thing is that to my surprise, the thru axles were included and from dt swiss :thumbup: Glad to see that as there are so many standards out there... The rear one has 166mm printed on the axle and i remember reading here that the rear axle was a 174mm :noidea:

I'll post more once i start the build... lets see how close to 6kg i can get considering it's a disc brake bike :roll:

banik69

by banik69

Hello there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickf

by nickf

rmcbike wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:59 pm
So, my frameset has finally arrived :D I haven't unwrapped it from the bubble protectors yet as i will wait until i have all the parts available to start building. Will post pictures and weight once i start the build

As expected, no seatmast came with the frame but in the end the shop owner offered a 50% discount since he had told me that it came with one from factory. The good thing is that to my surprise, the thru axles were included and from dt swiss :thumbup: Glad to see that as there are so many standards out there... The rear one has 166mm printed on the axle and i remember reading here that the rear axle was a 174mm :noidea:

I'll post more once i start the build... lets see how close to 6kg i can get considering it's a disc brake bike :roll:
The length of the axel is measures from the width of the entire drop out. Where it enters to where it threads in.

Methodical

by Methodical

Question. What's the reasoning for having the top tube slope upward vs flat (parallel to the ground)?

Thanks...
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

'20 Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg (6.04kg;no pedals)
'12 Madone (Black) - 6.96kg (6.73kg;no pedals)
Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Methodical wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:17 am
Question. What's the reasoning for having the top tube slope upward vs flat (parallel to the ground)?

Thanks...

“Compact” geometries with sloping top tubes have several advantages. Frames can be made lighter, they give more standover clearance, more seatpost flex = more compliance, etc.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

rmcbike wrote: As expected, no seatmast came with the frame but in the end the shop owner offered a 50% discount since he had told me that it came with one from factory.
So what’s the idea or reasoning for not including a clearly necessary and proprietary part to the build??

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

dgasmd wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:42 am
rmcbike wrote: As expected, no seatmast came with the frame but in the end the shop owner offered a 50% discount since he had told me that it came with one from factory.
So what’s the idea or reasoning for not including a clearly necessary and proprietary part to the build??

It’s not proprietary to the Emonda and it comes in two length and two setback combinations. The same seatmast is used for the Domane and Boone. Even after adding the price of the seatmast cap, the Emonda SLR frameset is significantly less expensive than a Teammachine SLR01 or Tarmac SL6 frameset, so I don’t see the issue.

A truly proprietary seatpost like the Madone’s is included with the frameset.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

rmcbike wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:59 pm

Who claimed the rear was 174mm? The only 174mm rear I can think of might be a previous version of the Boone. Every current Trek disc road bike uses roughly 121mm front and 166-167mm rear.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:53 am
dgasmd wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:42 am

It’s not proprietary to the Emonda and it comes in two length and two setback combinations. The same seatmast is used for the Domane and Boone. Even after adding the price of the seatmast cap, the Emonda SLR frameset is significantly less expensive than a Teammachine SLR01 or Tarmac SL6 frameset, so I don’t see the issue.

A truly proprietary seatpost like the Madone’s is included with the frameset.
Nope, it is not. I know cause I bought the 2019 Madone SLR frameset that did not come with the proprietary seatpost.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Noctiluxx wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:00 am

Nope, it is not. I know cause I bought the 2019 Madone SLR frameset that did not come with the proprietary seatpost.
*shrug* Looks like you’re right.

However I wasn’t charged extra for the seatpost when I ordered my P1 Madone. I was charged $120 extra for the Emonda seatmast cap, also through P1.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:06 am
Noctiluxx wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:00 am

*shrug*

I wasn’t charged extra for the seatpost when I ordered my P1 Madone. I was charged $120 extra for the Emonda seatmast cap, also through P1.
They made up for it with the fancy overpriced paint job which they screw up half the time :mrgreen:
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

In my defense, the previous Madone frameset came with the seatpost (and brake calipers.)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Methodical wrote:Question. What's the reasoning for having the top tube slope upward vs flat (parallel to the ground)?

Thanks...
The sloping (compact) frames were introduced to decrease costs of production by being able to make fewer frame sizes that would accommodate more people. Giant introduced them to the peloton. At first they made like 3 sizes... S, M, L and would supply different seatposts, bars and stems to make frames fit “everyone”. At least that was what they hoped would happen. The marketing spiel was all about weight savings, stiffer, etc., but the reality was any extra stiffness that resulted from a smaller rear triangle and sloping top tube was lost in the long skinny seatposts that had to go along with it. More importantly, the handling suffered greatly because even though a “fit” of the the three contact points could be achieved, there were still only basically 3 geometries for everyone. That was kind of an early fail so they really had to bring back more size options like S, M, L, XL, and then XS, XXL etc. but never fully returned to the 1cm size increments we enjoyed prior to that, with a few notable exceptions. We now generally have at best 2cm incremental sizing, which is less than the 1cm increments we used to have, but still manage to fit most everyone and achieve acceptable handling for everyone as well.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com