Trek sizing...a bit big?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattr

by mattr

What do you think?

Treks recommended sizing for me is a 56cm frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Lewn777 wrote:
Stupidity removed.

I rented an Emonda in February, but honestly it didn't feel much bigger than anything else in 54, it had about 3-4cm of stack and 100m stem though. I would slam an Emonda with about 120cm -17 stem in 54, but then again I like smaller frames. (183cm)
One any only warning. You want to be a hypocrite trash threads with petty comments like this after your last 48h of conduct then I will happily remove you from the forum.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Boshk wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:18 pm
At the moment, 2 spacers, so 20mm. If I transfer that over to Emonda, how much difference would it make though unless the headtube and seatpost angles are radically different. (I have to admit though, I didn't compare the angles)
Then, if you want to get the same fit the 52 Emonda would be better. You could run it with no spacers and a 90 or 100mm stem (depending on handlebar comparison) and be at the same height you are now. On the 54 you'd be higher at the front, even a -17 might not get you quite as low.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Boshk wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:02 pm
Emonda bike
Me=172cm, 5'7"

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bike ... =red_white

I know its only a 'ball park' figure but according to that, I should be size 54.
Looking at the geometry, a 54 Emonda has:
Reach 381, Stack 555, Seat tube 506, Top Tube 543

My current bike is C60 size 48S, got bike fitted, 90mm stem, other minor adjustments, and its comfortable now.
Reach 384 Stack 528, Seat Tube 480, Top Tube 530

Comparing those number, its huge!
The reach of 3mm isn't much but Stack difference 27mm, and 13mm difference in Top Tube....

thoughts?

I can't test ride one until I visit SFO again, found a Trek store and they said they have emonda demos

I wouldn’t go by the height chart on Trek’s site. They are just guidelines for people who will end up sitting very upright with short stems and lots of spacers. You should really only be looking at reach and stack as far as upper body positioning is concerned. A 54cm H1 Emonda SLR would bring the stack lower than a 48s C60, but increase the reach to the point where you may consider a 1cm, shorter stem. A 52cm H2 Emonda SLR is also an option since you’re already running 2cm in spacers on the Colnago.

Also Trek bikes sometimes come with very long reach bars. My XXX bars were 93mm and most bars are in the 80-85mm range.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

zefs wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:05 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:52 pm

Stupidity removed.

I rented an Emonda in February, but honestly it didn't feel much bigger than anything else in 54, it had about 3-4cm of stack and 100m stem though. I would slam an Emonda with about 120cm -17 stem in 54, but then again I like smaller frames. (183cm)
If the joke is aimed at me because of mentioning it's a mistake to go down 2 sizes I wasn't referring to you personally but to someone who is starting out or as far as fit guidelines go for current bike sizes.
It wasn't aimed at you, I'm sorry for any confusion.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Lewn777 wrote:

183cm on a 54cm H2 Emonda and just a 120mm stem is quite extreme, and so don’t think it’s a useful data point in this discussion because of that.

I’m 178cm and already forced to go with a 130mm stem on a 54cm H1 Emonda (with 390mm frame reach.) I’m sure you’ve seen a photo of me on the bike, I look like a circus bear riding it. Assuming you have a saddle height around 76cm, with a slammed -17deg stem you’d have something like 17cm of saddle-to-bar drop. The only active pro I can think of with that much drop is Adam Hansen.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:33 pm
Lewn777 wrote:

183cm on a 54cm H2 Emonda and just a 120mm stem is quite extreme, and so don’t think it’s a useful data point in this discussion because of that.

I’m 178cm and already forced to go with a 130mm stem on a 54cm H1 Emonda (with 390mm frame reach.) I’m sure you’ve seen a photo of me on the bike, I look like a circus bear riding it. Assuming you have a saddle height around 76cm, with a slammed -17deg stem you’d have something like 17cm of saddle-to-bar drop. The only active pro I can think of with that much drop is Adam Hansen.
True, I wouldn't recommend it for others, just an observation from an outlier. I have short legs for my body size, so it's not as extreme as it seems.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If you have short legs (and long torso,) then I feel a 54cm H2 Emonda with just a 120mm stem wouldn’t provide enough reach. Could you post a photo of your setup?

Methodical

by Methodical

Boshk, I'm the same height and I have short arms. In 2012 the LBS owner debated between putting me on a 52 or 54cm bike ('12 Madone). He said I was in between the 2, but we settled on the 54cm with a 90mm stem. It was definitely set up for comfort riding as it had 30mm spacers with the stem flipped up. Last summer, for some unknown reason, I was not longer comfortable with the setup (trap pain), so I drop down to an 80mm stem and adjusted seat height, which felt 100x better; I was able to ride in the drops comfortably now. I began working on removing the spacers a little at a time by 3mm to where I eventually removed 10mm and flipped the stem (-7*). I did the fit all on my own, the old fashion way, and the correct fit was confirmed when the LBS fitted me for the new frameset, plus I felt great on the bike.

Fast forward. This time, I went with the 52cm (Emonda SLR H2 frameset) for my new build along with a 90mm stem, but a shorter reach bar and the fit is perfect, again according to the fit machine thingy. I did not want to feel too stretched. I figured that I could always make the bike longer if needed with a longer stem. Now, I'm starting out with only 20mm spacers and a flipped down stem and a will work to get it down a little at a time. I've completed 2 rides on the new build and felt good and could ride in the drops with no problem. No pain after the ride - great sign about the fit.

The LBS always said I was a good candidate for a custom built frame because where my sizing sits. I guess I'm a 'tweener.

OP, have you gone to a LBS to get fitted to make the conversion between your existing bike and the new bike? I wouldn't play the guessing game on the bike fit; take your bike to Trek dealer and let them do what they do best. Besides, Trek is not going to ship directly to you anyway like Canyon would, so you may as well use the Trek dealer's services to get it right. The fit is included with a bike purchase at my LBS, so I will always take advantage of that service.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

'20 Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg (6.04kg;no pedals)
'12 Madone (Black) - 6.96kg (6.73kg;no pedals)
Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

Lewn777

by Lewn777

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:48 pm
If you have short legs (and long torso,) then I feel a 54cm H2 Emonda with just a 120mm stem wouldn’t provide enough reach. Could you post a photo of your setup?
It was rental bike, I've got pictures of the bike, but not me on it. It had a 100mm stem which was definately too short reach, but I'm gussing a slammed 120mm -17 stem would probably work in terms of reach from previous experience with other similar bikes. Obviously there's always the possibility that I'd of needed a 130mm stem. I've never had the chance to play with the setup on this frameset.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Methodical wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:31 pm
Boshk, I'm the same height and I have short arms. In 2012 the LBS owner debated between putting me on a 52 or 54cm bike ('12 Madone). He said I was in between the 2, but we settled on the 54cm with a 90mm stem. It was definitely set up for comfort riding as it had 30mm spacers with the stem flipped up. Last summer, for some unknown reason, I was not longer comfortable with the setup (trap pain), so I drop down to an 80mm stem and adjusted seat height, which felt 100x better; I was able to ride in the drops comfortably now. I began working on removing the spacers a little at a time by 3mm to where I eventually removed 10mm and flipped the stem (-7*). I did the fit all on my own, the old fashion way, and the correct fit was confirmed when the LBS fitted me for the new frameset, plus I felt great on the bike.

Fast forward. This time, I went with the 52cm (Emonda SLR H2 frameset) for my new build along with a 90mm stem, but a shorter reach bar and the fit is perfect, again according to the fit machine thingy. I did not want to feel too stretched. I figured that I could always make the bike longer if needed with a longer stem. Now, I'm starting out with only 20mm spacers and a flipped down stem and a will work to get it down a little at a time. I've completed 2 rides on the new build and felt good and could ride in the drops with no problem. No pain after the ride - great sign about the fit.

The LBS always said I was a good candidate for a custom built frame because where my sizing sits. I guess I'm a 'tweener.

OP, have you gone to a LBS to get fitted to make the conversion between your existing bike and the new bike? I wouldn't play the guessing game on the bike fit; take your bike to Trek dealer and let them do what they do best. Besides, Trek is not going to ship directly to you anyway like Canyon would, so you may as well use the Trek dealer's services to get it right. The fit is included with a bike purchase at my LBS, so I will always take advantage of that service.
Your experience is great advertising for always choosing a smaller frame if you are between frames.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I just want to see a photo of your own set-up since it should have the same insane amount of drop you’ve hinted at.

Methodical

by Methodical

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:18 pm
I just want to see a photo of your own set-up since it should have the same insane amount of drop you’ve hinted at.
Who me?
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Methodical

by Methodical

Lewn777 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:08 pm
Methodical wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:31 pm

Your experience is great advertising for always choosing a smaller frame if you are between frames.
Yeah, I was dead set on going with the smaller frame size this time and the LBS agreed once we did the sizing for the new frame based on my current bike fit.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Methodical wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:59 am

Who me?

Nope, Lewn777.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com