New Trek w/ T47 BB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Just a reminder, BB90 is the ONLY standard which can not accommodate the new DUB axle or BB30. I can not see trek continuing to use an outdated standard. Now that they have moved to T47, it makes sense for them to use T47 throughout their lineup.

Everyone here is speculating about what they might do but I do not think anyone here would be happy with BB90 on the next gen emonda. Trek must recognize this fact and it is highly unlikely that they will continue using BB90.

@conlago Also, watch any of Luescher Teknik's videos and it is pretty evident that almost every manufacturer uses the BB to bond the triangles together. You can use Yahoo to search for those videos as you seem aghast at the idea of using google.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:23 am

@conlago Also, watch any of Luescher Teknik's videos and it is pretty evident that almost every manufacturer uses the BB to bond the triangles together. You can use Yahoo to search for those videos as you seem aghast at the idea of using google.

Another notable example is the GCN ad/video where Lasty visits Trek HQ and puts together the pieces of an Emonda, starting with the BB junction of course.

https://youtu.be/YH4M_iFU2k0?t=190

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

icantaffordcycling wrote: @conlago Also, watch any of Luescher Teknik's videos and it is pretty evident that almost every manufacturer uses the BB to bond the triangles together. You can use Yahoo to search for those videos as you seem aghast at the idea of using google.
And what’s that got to do with T47???

I’m not at all aghast at using google. Everyone uses it. Perhaps you haven’t read enough of THY’s posts to realize what I’m referring to. I try to ignore them but it’s just difficult reading the regurgitation at times.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I have never used Google in this way. Your shtick is so old and mind-numbingly stupid. Remember that time you accused me of not owning any of the power meters I've had experience with and I sent you a video clip of all of them, on the same bike, in a private message? You never responded to that PM.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I never opened your pm. Went straight to delete. Sorry. I get Pm’s all the time and I’m happy to help anyone, well almost anyone. Yours is the only pm I’ve ever just deleted without reading.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Calnago wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:34 am

And what’s that got to do with T47???

It has to do with being able to quickly redesign the BB junction, create the mold and hopefully not delay production too much. The delays are likely less to do with the redesign and creation of the mold, but sending the whole frame/bike through Trek's array of tests a second time, redoing some marketing copy, etc.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

It was a joke. Calm down. Google away, my man.
From what I understood, THY claimed that the Emonda could be delayed because they decided to change out the bottom bracket from BB90 to T47. Then you said that at some point the design process has to end then THY claimed that it would not be a huge change. Then you decided to resort to an ad hominem comment without addressing why the bottom bracket could still not be changed or citing your credibility for why you think the design process has to be finished by now. I am not picking sides just saying what I understood.
From what I understand, THY is simply saying that the BB can be changed even now because the main design process has already been finished (tube shapes, geometry, etc).
At the end of the day, neither one of you work at Trek or know for certain what they are doing there (from what I know) so your speculations are just speculations.

I have already stated that I think it would be foolish for Trek to release a BB90 frame this year but hey, I don't work there either.
Why can't we have one single interesting thread on this forum that doesn't contain jabs at each other. There is so much good information here but it gets lost in conversations like these. Regardless, I am stuck between THY's and Calnago's ad hominem attacks that go from before I was born and no longer have anything else to add to this topic.
So... peace out.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

So, what was the date that Trek previously said they would be releasing a new Domane? And how late is it at this point?

AnkitS

by AnkitS

[deleted] don't wanna get involved.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:50 am
Regardless, I am stuck between THY's and Calnago's ad hominem attacks that go from before I was born and no longer have anything else to add to this topic.
So... peace out.

I try to keep it civil with Calnago, I really do, but he jumped me for the umpteenth time for no reason.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

So... the dates again, and how late are they? Google it if you like. I’d just like to know what Trek officially released to the public as to the release date of a new Domane.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Calnago wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:57 am
So... the dates again, and how late are they?

Even If I knew the dates, I wouldn't tell you. I fail to see how it's even relevant to the topic.

silvalis

by silvalis

Calnago wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:29 am
The T47 spec is mostly referring to the bore size and the thread pitch, you could vary the shell width by a good margin and still be able to have cups that would fit virtually all cranks available. As for tolerances, even if we agree that Trek’s tolerances aren’t perfect, that would have no bearing on their ability to produce a good T47 BB. After all, the T47 insert, however they implement it would have to be either an alloy sleeve or two alloy cups, like Colnago’s T45. And therein lies the advantage, the tolerances that they can manufacture to are so much tighter and easier to achieve with alloy than carbon, hence the reason for going this route in the first place. Perhaps they might, if they do, and I hope they do, implement this in their entire range of bikes. We’ll see. If they do, that would send a very strong signal to the other big manufacturers that perhaps it’s time for them to do the same. The T47 spec is really nothing more than making a bigger diameter threaded BB shell like we were used to in the days before all the pressfit stuff. It works. And works well. It’s easy to maintain and install bottom brackets. No need for retaining compounds and various presses. Yes, it would be welcome.
I think you've missed the point. It's a non-standard standard that can't be used in any other T47 bike. All they've done is fufilled paragon's comments on 7 (now 8 ) different T47 widths. Also it's really irritating that T47 doesn't have any nomenclature to do with it's bb width other than the "standard" and "wide" (which isn't 85.5).
Chasse patate

madik

by madik

Would be a bit strange to go with T47 for a new Emonda as the aluminium insert increases the frame's weight by a well meassurable ammount. Not sure how much but the interface between carbon and alu will certainly weight more than a simple bored hole for a pressfit. It might be around 50g maybe? And heavier climbing frameset than a previous gen wouldn't be a good highlight of a new Emonda. Would make more sense to go with T47 on lower grade carbon models and aluminium ones and for the top carbon frameset just use PF86 or 386Evo (which not gonna happen for sure) with a proper tolerances..
Functionality > Performance > Weight

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

madik wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:06 am
Would be a bit strange to go with T47 for a new Emonda as the aluminium insert increases the frame's weight by a well meassurable ammount. Not sure how much but the interface between carbon and alu will certainly weight more than a simple bored hole for a pressfit. It might be around 50g maybe? And heavier climbing frameset than a previous gen wouldn't be a good highlight of a new Emonda. Would make more sense to go with T47 on lower grade carbon models and aluminium ones and for the top carbon frameset just use PF86 or 386Evo (which not gonna happen for sure) with a proper tolerances..
Compared to bb90, it increases frame weight slightly (insert + bb cups + any reducers, etc), but you would probably see an overall drop in weight as you could then move from, eg, a steel GXP spindle to an alloy spindle.
Last edited by silvalis on Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chasse patate