New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

carbonazza wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:31 am
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:04 am
...I don’t think anyone has a blown sidewall on a 28...
My picture of the plug is with a 28mm.
I’ve hit many potholes without pinching, but this one was a very hard hit.

This is on my temporarily converted gravel to a road bike, running them on 30mm outer width, 56mm deep rims of lightbicycle. Ending at ~30mm wide at 5.5bar.
Thanks for the clarification. 5.5bars should be a good pressure to eliminate pinch flats on a 28. I run a 28 at 6.2bar (90psi) on my tandem, with an actual width of 30mm on 21C rims. I can't ever imagine pinch flatting as the tire is rock hard at 6.2bar. Maybe you just had extremely bad luck and didn't hit the pothole evenly and all of the forces went to one side of the rim.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sock3t

by Sock3t

2,000 miles on my 28's. I have a set of 25's on the shelf ready to go.

How many miles have others gotten out of their TL's?

dim

by dim

Sock3t wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:50 am
2,000 miles on my 28's. I have a set of 25's on the shelf ready to go.

How many miles have others gotten out of their TL's?
2,485.3km so far on mine (25's) and still looking very good ..... zero punctures so far
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Sock3t

by Sock3t

My rear tyre is toast. The front is in great shape, but both wear idicators on the rear are worn through and it's properly squared off.

Going to mount my 25's today.

dim

by dim

Sock3t wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:52 pm
My rear tyre is toast. The front is in great shape, but both wear idicators on the rear are worn through and it's properly squared off.

you got 2000 miles on the 5000 TL (3218 km) ... that is very good! .... how many punctures did you get (that you know of)?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Sock3t

by Sock3t

dim wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:12 pm
Sock3t wrote:

you got 2000 miles on the 5000 TL (3218 km) ... that is very good! .... how many punctures did you get (that you know of)?
I had to put a bacon strip once in the rear and that was last week. So it's definitely thin.

Mounting the 25's...Well. I left both tyres in the 35c sun outside for two hours then soaped them up and mounted them. The front was a pain but after some more soap finally went on. The rear slipped right on with tyre spoons.

The rear immediately set the bead with my hand pump, the front took a co2 and some more soap. Put 2ml of stans in both and letting them sit over night.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Why are people still using Stan’s?

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Because it works and it's free. What's better, and why?

AnkitS

by AnkitS

TobinHatesYou uses 30/40 mL of Orange Seal and believes that is the best because of his personal experience with muc-off and stan's (last two pages of this thread.) The general consensus on this thread and others on this forum is that Stan's doesn't seal and dries up quickly. From personal experience, stan's also clogged valve holes. I think that because it is a thicker solution it only really works for larger holes and is the reason I switched back to tubes.

jlok

by jlok

I concur. Stan's is less likely to seal.

Got puncture on Pro One and Fusion 5 TLR Perf. Both were with Stan's and both didn't seal completely. End up crawling to safe house at 25psi... Changed to Orange Seal with my Rubino TLR but haven't experienced any puncture yet.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:23 am
TobinHatesYou uses 30/40 mL of Orange Seal and believes that is the best because of his personal experience with muc-off and stan's (last two pages of this thread.) The general consensus on this thread and others on this forum is that Stan's doesn't seal and dries up quickly. From personal experience, stan's also clogged valve holes. I think that because it is a thicker solution it only really works for larger holes and is the reason I switched back to tubes.

More specifically Orange Seal is the first sealant I ever tried because I took a second to research what was the best sealant. That led me to the big MTBR sealant thread and I think a SlowTwitch round-up comparison where it was clear that Orange Seal and Bontrager were way better than anything else.

Still, that doesn’t mean I won’t experiment. To date I’ve tried Orange Seal, Bontrager, Slime STR, Boyd Tickled Pink and Muc-Off No Punctures. Boyd is probably third best on the list while the newish Slime STR and Muc-Off No Punctures have the same properties. They are both thick, gluey/sticky and “dry” into a thick paste. Neither is particularly good at plugging holes and both require hard scrubbing to clean off rims, your frame, etc.

Junior Varsity
in the industry

by Junior Varsity

Comments regarding the width- Tire cross section will certainly vary based on the actual rim inner width vs. the tire's design inner rim width. There is a formula for the tire section width change based upon the +/- in rim inner width used.

As reference, the Goodyear Eagle All-Season 25 and 28mm are based on a inner rim width of 19mm while the 30 and 32mm are designed around a 21mm inner width. Those numbers are straight from the ISO 7557-1.

I cannot speak for Conti, but I would assume they're following the most current guidelines.
Doing bike things.

carbonazza

by carbonazza

jlok wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:37 am
Stan’s “Race” is something else than the old Stan’s and seals well. But I’m now curious to try the Orange.

andreas

by andreas

dim wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:12 pm
Sock3t wrote:

Is that really good? I use my GP4000SII for a full season (~8000 km for me up here north in the winter wonderland).

Got a pair of 5000 TL that are going onto my rims soon, but if they crap out after ~3000 km I need to wait until closer to my two big races in the end of June :-/ (540 km & 430 km within 6 days of each other!)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

andreas wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:40 pm

Is that really good? I use my GP4000SII for a full season (~8000 km for me up here north in the winter wonderland).

Got a pair of 5000 TL that are going onto my rims soon, but if they crap out after ~3000 km I need to wait until closer to my two big races in the end of June :-/ (540 km & 430 km within 6 days of each other!)

I can't imagine getting 8000km out of a rear tire unless it's a Schwalbe Marathon or similar...something armored that weighs at least 600g

carbonazza wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:03 pm
jlok wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:37 am
Stan’s “Race” is something else than the old Stan’s and seals well. But I’m now curious to try the Orange.

Stan's Race is just Stan's with less water and larger particles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com