Rim tape for clinchers?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
Valy

by Valy

MikeD wrote:
Valy wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Calnago wrote:Nothing’s wrong with Velox tape except it’s relatively thick compared to say something like Stans Notubes tape. With all the “tubeless compatible” rims these days, the fit can be extremely tight so you need ever bit of help you can get. I’m not sure if Campy still offers both Clincher and Two Way Fit versions of their alloy rims, but with the regular Clincher version I could mount a tire by hand. If I was looking for a Clincher rim now, I would want to be able to remove and replace a tire easily on the road.
With rim brakes, I'd be concerned with plastic tape melting under heavy braking if you ride steep, technical terrain (powder coat tape is probably OK, as its made to take the heat). I've melted plastic rim strips before.
Did they actually melt or just fail?
Melted at a spoke hole and extruded into the rim. Tube failed at that location. Happened on my road and mountain bike. Specialized red plastic rim strips. This was a long time ago, but since then I've used only Velox on my rim braked bikes except for my tubeless rim braked gravel bike where I'm using Stan's tape.

People have failed carbon rims on Levi's Gran Fondo in Sonoma County where I had the failure on a road in that area, so it's logical that one can melt rim strips / tape under the right conditions. Latex tubes are also prone to failure from heat.
Damn. Crazy. Was this with aluminium rims, forgot to ask?

I'm based around NE UK so heat is not a problem to contend with, completely blanked there are warm places. Lack of heat tends to be! Image

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

RocketRacing wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:20 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote: ↑
Wed May 29, 2019 5:35 am
2 wraps of green poly tape / green powder coat masking tape is like 9 grams per wheel.
Do you mean green painters tape?

No, I meant what I typed.

by Weenie

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

I use Stans yellow tape in the appropriate width for alloy and carbon rims. It lasts for a long time.
RESIDENT GRUMPY OLD MAN.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Juanmoretime wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:38 pm
I use Stans yellow tape in the appropriate width for alloy and carbon rims. It lasts for a long time.
I actually ordered this to try.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Tesa 4289 is very similar to Stan's tape and much cheaper the same time. I mean both cost the same, but instead of 9m in case of Stan's tape, you get 66m of Tesa. So you can go mad with wheel wrapping

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

1415chris wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:17 am
Tesa 4289 is very similar to Stan's tape and much cheaper the same time. I mean both cost the same, but instead of 9m in case of Stan's tape, you get 66m of Tesa. So you can go mad with wheel wrapping Image
Stan’s *is* 4289.

I dislike it. Too thick, not elastic enough, adhesive is strong until wet from exposure to sealant.

Green powder coat masking tape is thinner, lighter, more elastic and the adhesive is both strong AND doesn’t leave residue. I believe Mavic has started to use this as their tubeless tape.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Is elasticicity good for rim tape? Won't it just get sucked into the spoke holes?

1415chris

by 1415chris

I dont know how more elasticity would make rim tape better...? I don't use Tesa with sealent so cannot comment. But for donkey's years I have been using Stan's tape in mtb tubless application with zero allegedly edhesive issues.

And just for the record Stan's tape isn't exactly the same as Tesa 4289. Stan's is a bit more stretchy than Tesa, have both.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

1415chris wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:24 pm
I dont know how more elasticity would make rim tape better...? I don't use Tesa with sealent so cannot comment. But for donkey's years I have been using Stan's tape in mtb tubless application with zero allegedly edhesive issues.

And just for the record Stan's tape isn't exactly the same as Tesa 4289. Stan's is a bit more stretchy than Tesa, have both.

Some stretch means the tape conforms easier into the well on a tubeless rim and will be less likely to form bubbles in between two layers of tape.

Are you sure you bought Tesa 4289? The is also 4298, which is thicker and less elastic as a result.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I got stans and the stuff for powdercoating. The powdercoat is batter $/length.

Electrical tape will fail. I was running 70psi, and my rims were not even more than warm and i had a spoke hole blowthrough.

Don’t be like me. Don’t use electrical tape.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Juanmoretime wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:38 pm
I guess this is a total noob question: what is the appropriate width of tape? How wide do you NEED to go?

My rims were originally set up for tubes/clinchers with one piece rim strips (forget brand but were wide enough to cover the spoke holes). I removed that (heavy, and shifted location as no adhesive).

I have since used proper stand rim tape, but only enough to cover the spoke holes, and a bit more for safety. I guess that is all i knew. So maybe 12mm wide.

kode54

by kode54

Most of the tape I've used is the width of the inside rim bed...like 25mm. the tire bead tends to hold the edges down as a tight seal...at least that's what it seems like to me.
- Factor 02 Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 Ene carbon hubs
- Argonaut Spacebike 2.0 + DA9170 + Enve SES 5.6 DT Swiss 240 CL hubs

Calnago

by Calnago

Purpose of rim tape/strip is
- For clinchers with tubes: to cover the spoke holes, if present, so that your tube doesn’t get cut by the edges of the spoke holes.
- For Tubeless Clinchers: to create an airtight seal.

Given how tight some tire/rim combos can be it can be beneficial to have thinner, rather than thicker, rim tape to make mounting potentially easier than it may be with a thick cloth rim tape. The tape should be strong enough that it doesn’t stretch so much that it could potentially be forced into the spoke holes itself. You can overlap a bit if your tape is on the narrow side to ensure you cover the entire spoke hole and then some on both sides. Latex tubes, if used with clinchers, and I’m not recommending you do that (but people do), can creep into the tiniest of crevices so you want to ensure that the tape covers those spoke holes enough that the tube can’t creep underneath the edge of the tape and the spoke hole.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Thanks. Given veloplugs work well, i think the answer us “wide enough to cover the spoke holes”

by Weenie