Cycling Glasses Recomendations - Aero Position

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Djakninn

by Djakninn

Could any one offer up some recommendations for Cycling glasses that don't impede vision and give decent coverage when on the drops/aero position?
I haven't started looking yet, but I know locally, that I can try Oakley and 100%, though what models would be best to try beforehand would be good.
Also, any other manufacturers and models would also be appreciated. Ideally, i'd be looking for frames that would allow me to change lenses as well.

TheRich

by TheRich

My eyes are pretty sensitive to (high speed) airflow and Racing Jackets have worked very well...and don't look as polarizing as wraparound glasses. Good FOV as well. The downside is that they're pricey, but it's a durable design.

There's probably a reason they've stayed in the Oakley lineup for so long.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sychen

by sychen

2nd that on the racing jackets... If you need prescription lenses like me.. And don't want inserts.. These are great glasses for sports in general.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Rimless like Oakley EV Zero or Flight Jackets are your best bet, but even then they don't provide enough top coverage so that you are looking straight through the lens when you really get into a deep aero position. You're going to end up half looking through the top of the lens and half looking over the top. If you truly want to get around that, then consider a helmet with an integrated visor (and deal with the jokes.)

robeambro

by robeambro

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:52 pm
Rimless like Oakley EV Zero or Flight Jackets are your best bet, but even then they don't provide enough top coverage so that you are looking straight through the lens when you really get into a deep aero position. You're going to end up half looking through the top of the lens and half looking over the top. If you truly want to get around that, then consider a helmet with an integrated visor (and deal with the jokes.)
This, and if your aero position is really aggressive, you don't look through your glasses at all, no matter which ones you've got. If you have the resilience to deal with the friendly mocking :roll: that will most likely ensue, there's helmets like the Giro one or the new Lazer Bullet which is quite normal looking and has a visor incorporated..

kgt

by kgt

100% S2. Very nice coverage, much better than Oakley radar ev path IME.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Flight Jackets and the Sutro both work wellImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Really wish the Sutros had rubber socks on the stems. Had a pair bounce off my face a while ago.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Just need a fatter head haha

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Djakninn

by Djakninn

What about quality between 100% and Oakley?
Are they pretty comparable?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Djakninn wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:15 pm
What about quality between 100% and Oakley?
Are they pretty comparable?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Lens quality is about the same. Some of the fancier finishes on 100% are just coatings that eventually start flaking off. Had this happen with the oil slick finish Sagan collection stuff. 100% sunglasses have a really strong plastic odor when brand new. It’s a bit off-putting.

Oakley is cheaping out on some models. See my earlier complaint about no rubber socks on the Sutro.

kgt

by kgt

My experience is not the same. In terms of quality I find 100% as nice as Oakley. No plastic odor at all. They are also made in Italy and not China.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

maybe it was just bad luck for me, but are your 100% glasses straight? I ordered a speedcraft, but i was tilted towards the right side when wearing it. Readjusting didn't help as it always returned into its tilted position. At first i thought my head was to asymetrical, but the radar ev and flight jackets i wear sit straight.
I then assumed, that i got a bad one and returned it for another one. Different color, same problem. When i put them on a table, you could see that the arms had different angles. Bending didn't help.
I love the coverage of those speedcrafts, but they look pretty stupid not sitting straight.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Julbo Aerospeed with photochromic lense: Reactiv cat. 0 to 3 or Zebralight 1 to 3.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

eins4eins wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:53 pm
maybe it was just bad luck for me, but are your 100% glasses straight? I ordered a speedcraft, but i was tilted towards the right side when wearing it. Readjusting didn't help as it always returned into its tilted position. At first i thought my head was to asymetrical, but the radar ev and flight jackets i wear sit straight.
I then assumed, that i got a bad one and returned it for another one. Different color, same problem. When i put them on a table, you could see that the arms had different angles. Bending didn't help.
I love the coverage of those speedcrafts, but they look pretty stupid not sitting straight.
This is really strange. How is this possible? Even 20 euros glasses are straight since the are all produced in machined molds.