New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

springs wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:10 am
One of my 5000TL tires was very porous too as confirmed by the under water test. Weird because the other held air much better. Conti has a quality problem if they claim the butyl lining is airtight, which I think they do.

The Orange Seal in my GP5K was completely dried out in a way I've never seen before. There was a very large amorphous blob rolling around in the tire. There was no liquid, orange or clear in the tire at all. Usually Orange Seal lasts half a year if I inject it in the winter time. Even when it starts to dry out, there's at least some liquid still sloshing around in there...discolored orange-brown vs orange-pink when new. Also when Orange Seal starts forming boogers, they're usually intricate looking, like a starfish or coral or something. This was just a big smooth boulder, leading me to believe it dried out very, very quickly rather than slowly building up over time. It's been rainy, cold and humid all year in the Bay Area...it definitely shouldn't have dried out.

I just replaced my Yksion Pro USTs too, which have had Orange Seal in them for 9 months... Still some liquid left in there...browning and smelly, but not completely dried out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mashiehood

by mashiehood

Now this is very odd - the rear tyre with sealent holds air but when riding the rear tyre goes soft every hour or so. On my second ride yesterday it did the same. BUT when stationary the tyre hold air just fine for days!

No issue with the rim as the Pro-One's i have replaced held air just fine when riding. Any thoughts?

PS - i am seriously considering ditching tubeless, its a royal PITA!

zefs

by zefs

Probably have a leak somewhere, check the valve/spokes (soapy water will help) and rim tape? Are you sure there is no puncture?

mashiehood

by mashiehood

zefs wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:00 pm
Probably have a leak somewhere, check the valve/spokes (soapy water will help) and rim tape? Are you sure there is no puncture?
nothing shows on the water test and the rim is sealed as no spoke holes. Really odd...

dim

by dim

mashiehood wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:27 pm
zefs wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:00 pm
nothing shows on the water test and the rim is sealed as no spoke holes. Really odd...
which sealant are you using, and how much sealant do you use?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Sock3t

by Sock3t

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:47 am
springs wrote:
One of my 5000TL tires was very porous too as confirmed by the under water test. Weird because the other held air much better. Conti has a quality problem if they claim the butyl lining is airtight, which I think they do.

The Orange Seal in my GP5K was completely dried out in a way I've never seen before. There was a very large amorphous blob rolling around in the tire. There was no liquid, orange or clear in the tire at all. Usually Orange Seal lasts half a year if I inject it in the winter time. Even when it starts to dry out, there's at least some liquid still sloshing around in there...discolored orange-brown vs orange-pink when new. Also when Orange Seal starts forming boogers, they're usually intricate looking, like a starfish or coral or something. This was just a big smooth boulder, leading me to believe it dried out very, very quickly rather than slowly building up over time. It's been rainy, cold and humid all year in the Bay Area...it definitely shouldn't have dried out.

I just replaced my Yksion Pro USTs too, which have had Orange Seal in them for 9 months... Still some liquid left in there...browning and smelly, but not completely dried out.
WTF?

My front tyre has the same. It was not holding a lot of air from day to day.

Popped the bead yesterday...and a ball of sealant was just chilling there.

Set the bead, added sealant, and all is well.

dim

by dim

Sock3t wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:27 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:47 am
springs wrote:

WTF?

My front tyre has the same. It was not holding a lot of air from day to day.

Popped the bead yesterday...and a ball of sealant was just chilling there.

Set the bead, added sealant, and all is well.
there's 3 different variant's of Orange seal .... this link advises on how often to top up:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1700/ ... 1823713349

I use the Regular version and it needs to be topped up every 30-45 days
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

How often you need to top up any variant of Orange Seal depends entirely on temperature and humidity. If you store your bike/wheels in direct sunlight, it’ll dry up in a couple weeks. If you store your bike indoors and you live in a humid or colder climate, Orange Seal Regular can last at least 6 months.

velobob

by velobob

I'm loving my GP5000TL's so far (25mm). I got the shop to install them ($10 a tire - saved me a lot of grief) and I have had no issues so far (it's been 2 months and I've done lots of long 4-5 hr rides and raced 3 crits on them. IMO they roll faster than my 4000s, they corner better, and since I run them at 80psi they are more comfy. I'll come back and post if something heinous happens.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

I use Stans No tubes.

kevinw

by kevinw

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:11 pm
I forgot to mention that a long black thread along the circumference of the tire right above the bead frayed off my tire at some point.
I'm really interested to see how common this is because mine have it too.

mashiehood

by mashiehood

arghhhhhhh- thats it im done. They are coming off tonight and im back to tubes. Hold air fine when stationary, when moving lose all pressure in an hour. I cant be dealing with this nonsense tubeless ****.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Just learn how to set them up...

Running GP5K TLs for 2,000km now without any issues and they are FAST! Just put some 25s on my S5D to compare against the new Corsa TLRs.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

kevinw

by kevinw

mashiehood wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 12:58 pm
arghhhhhhh- thats it im done. They are coming off tonight and im back to tubes. Hold air fine when stationary, when moving lose all pressure in an hour. I cant be dealing with this nonsense tubeless ****.
Very odd. Sorry if you mentioned before but what rims are you using? It would be good to get this sorted for you.

From what you said I'd guess it's that the bead isn't fully seated into the rim burping slightly as you roll?

Also, what sealant are you using and what pressure are you starting at?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spud

by spud

mashiehood wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 12:58 pm
Something is very clearly wrong with your set-up. Did you use soapy water to set the bead? Did you confirm the bead is fully seated entire cirumference? Is the nut on your valve stem tight? Is it possible you have a crack in the rim that only opens up when riding?