New Continental 5000S Tires - Tubeless Compatible

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

The only place the air could be leaking from my rims would be the valve stem/hole and bead. There are no nipple holes.

Again, I have no experience with sealer or tubeless, but I'm turned off with how messy it gets when the sealer does not do it's job. There was one member that was on my team that had tubeless and when he developed a leak, the sealer did not work. It was a real mess on the side of the road while he was installing a tube. There was also sealer all over his bike as it was trying to work.

Assuming I have no leaks in my set up, the only leak I would get is a puncture and I would rather carry a tube. Thanks or sharing your information. Soon I will go on a ride and see how far I get.
Last edited by Butcher on Sun May 19, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Second GP5K TL killed by a pothole in a NorCal road race. Not even sure I’m going to mount the last one I’ve got.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:52 pm
Second GP5K TL killed by a pothole in a NorCal road race. Not even sure I’m going to mount the last one I’ve got.
If the roads you ride on are that bad you should be on 28mm not 25mm. The GP5K 25mm measures closer to the GP4K 23mm. I'm running the tubed GP5K 28mm and have no issues with giant potholes, etc.

jlok

by jlok

TobinHatesYou wrote:
any picture of the damage? what's the mileage?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:12 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
If the roads you ride on are that bad you should be on 28mm not 25mm. The GP5K 25mm measures closer to the GP4K 23mm. I'm running the tubed GP5K 28mm and have no issues with giant potholes, etc.

I definitely agree that I should just ignore the 105% rule with my 5.6s at this point. I’ll probably just try 28mm Corsas on the 5.6s and 30mm Corsa Controls on my 202s next.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Did you run too low of a pressure on the 25? Maybe the low pressure and the narrow width doomed the tire.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

TobinHatesYou wrote:
I slammed a pothole so hard last Wednesday my bars moved. Scared the shit out of me.

Pulled over, fixed up my bars. Pulled the front wheel and checked it for cracks and the tyre as well.

Everything was fine - on 28's with FSE rims.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Just watched this video. In reading the comments it seems people have a better experience in mounting these on non-Enve rims. So is it the tire or the rim to blame?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BPuYF9f7uA

zefs

by zefs

From having tested different tubeless tires the GP5K has the stiffest casing (I mean it doesn't stretch) and thickest beads which makes it very hard to mount on some wheels.
Maybe it's not an issue since tubeless tires are supposed to stay put until replaced or removed to patch a puncture at home.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I forgot to mention that a long black thread along the circumference of the tire right above the bead frayed off my tire at some point.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:57 pm
Just watched this video. In reading the comments it seems people have a better experience in mounting these on non-Enve rims. So is it the tire or the rim to blame?

Wow, that guy isn't too bright. I'd hamper a thought that he's either on the spectrum or not all his dogs are barking. Enve has said these tyres are NOT compatitble with their wheels.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Sock3t wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:58 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:57 pm

Wow, that guy isn't too bright. I'd hamper a thought that he's either on the spectrum or not all his dogs are barking. Enve has said these tyres are NOT compatitble with their wheels.

it's actually Conti saying dont use... Ronald has them on 4.5AR which are hookless rims
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

willmac

by willmac

https://www.enve.com/en/products/ses-4-5-ar/

Both say it. Only Conti do it on their product though

mashiehood

by mashiehood

Hi,
Managed to mount the 5000TL onto Light Bicycle 56mm rims by hand - admittedly after much 'channeling' into the centre of the rim. I also have the no spoke holes version so no rim tape.

Inflated with a track pump with no issues. I had wanted to run them without sealent and the front held air with no issues but rather bizzarely, the rear had very porous side walls (did the water bucket test) so had to use sealent to get the rear to hold air. Also, the rear was 25grams lighter than the front. if anyone had similar experience do share....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

springs

by springs

One of my 5000TL tires was very porous too as confirmed by the under water test. Weird because the other held air much better. Conti has a quality problem if they claim the butyl lining is airtight, which I think they do.