S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bigmac

by Bigmac

Hexsense wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:32 am
Bigmac wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:15 pm
The Aerofly 2 bars look great but unless you have a stem that has an out front computer mount, they may not look great. I thought of using a new Venge stem but was advised against it! It really is a shame but it's really only suited to the Venge.
Why not?

I'm using Aerofly 2 on Allez Sprint Disc, and i'll soon get the Venge stem. With the cap: https://www.amaincycling.com/specialize ... 11/p864852

It is a very heavy stem (200g).
However, it is not heavy for nothing. It is very stiff. They said it is 5% stiffer than Zipp SL-Sprint (while being around 10% heavier). Its drop clamp design (asymetric top and bottom with bar mount low on the stem) allow cable to run pass stem without having to sharp bend underneath.
Unless you are using short stem (<110mm) or not sprint, the extra stiffness can justify the weight compare to normal stem.
It is also at least $100 cheaper than Zipp SL-Sprint and maybe more aero.
I don't know if you've seen a Venge stem fitted to other than a Venge ? To be honest I didn't think it was a great look, the Venge stem is obvioulsy made to accept the specicic steerer spacers which don't readilly fit a standard steerer/frame, plus, if you are using a computer, the only mount which works with the Venge stem is the Venge mount as the stem is that wide there is no room to fit a standard clamp type mount. I believe the Venge mount comes as an accessory kit at around £50! Just saying - if you haven't seen it, it might be a wise move before you make what is a significant investment. It's a shame Specialized didn't produce a stem which could be used on other that the Venge but then the weight penalty over say the S-Works SL might have put some people off.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

I have an almost opposite question: has anyone tried/thought about usign stem/bar solution from anything other than spesh on a Venge? E.g., Vision metron bars, or just a Vision stem - which would save like 50g? Would that ruin cable interation? I had the impession that you could route cables internally through those bars as well....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Grobar

by Grobar

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:13 am
I have an almost opposite question: has anyone tried/thought about usign stem/bar solution from anything other than spesh on a Venge? E.g., Vision metron bars, or just a Vision stem - which would save like 50g? Would that ruin cable interation? I had the impession that you could route cables internally through those bars as well....
Yes Rony Kuba mounted an Enve cockpit on his Venge. You can check it on YouTube or Instagram. It looks pretty good to me and cables are almost invisible.

blehargh

by blehargh

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:13 am
There are two headset spacers - one for the Venge stem and one for standard stems. So you can use standard stems on the venge. You just have to recable the hydraulic lines to install one or the other.

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

Any idea when Aerofly 2 will be available?

UPDATE: Was just on the phone with Specialized USA customer service. Am told it's late October. Ugggh :(
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Jugi

by Jugi

Somewhere somebody has seriously underestimated the popularity of that bar.

robeambro

by robeambro

Jugi wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:12 pm
Well, it’s understandable. As a company, having excess stock is never desirable, especially when the demand isn’t extremely sensitive to price drops (such would be the case with Aerofly’s, if MSRP would drop by 50$, they wouldn’t sell gazillions more).

The Aerofly is being used by not only people who ride the Venge, but also Tarmac, Allez, and even some other brands. I don’t think anybody could have predicted such a wide adoption (on top of the success the Venge is having, with many sizes and colours being out of stock way before 2020 models being released).

I think Specy may have been burned by the Vias, where low sales may have forced them to write down plenty of stock or to pay penalties to their vendors for not meeting MOQ’s.

ichobi

by ichobi

Anyone knows when Spe usually introduce new model year color? The SL6 has been out for almost 2 years and their base color is still the same as when they were released, except special editions.

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

robeambro wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:35 pm
Jugi wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:12 pm
The Aerofly is being used by not only people who ride the Venge, but also Tarmac, Allez, and even some other brands. I don’t think anybody could have predicted such a wide adoption (on top of the success the Venge is having, with many sizes and colours being out of stock way before 2020 models being released).
Yup, I was planning to get it for my TCR but guess will go with ZIPP SL70 aero.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

ichobi wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:47 pm
Anyone knows when Spe usually introduce new model year color? The SL6 has been out for almost 2 years and their base color is still the same as when they were released, except special editions.
The SL6 is the Tarmac, not the Venge. There are many diferent colorways for the SL6 Tarmac.. I count 8, not including the Sagan colorways... plus there are the AXS Etap and DA complete bike colorways.

As for the Venge, there's the black, the battelship grey, the Etap AXS and the Sagan colorways... not as many as the Tarmac, but they have released new stuff along the way. As for 2020 colorways...I imagine we'll see new ones in August or so... that's usually when they have the dealer event and the new colorways come out shortly after, with new bikes usually being availble in early september.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

One thing to watch out for on Tarmac colors is that the US web site is not always accurate. Specialized never had the red-yellow SWorks SL6 posted on their site that I wanted to buy last Fall. Fortunately I found an alternative (the woman’s model) that I’m glad I chose in hindsight.

ichobi

by ichobi

Yes there are a lot to choose from for the Tarmac but those were all color from the original release in 2017. Some available later than the other. I guess because specialized released a lot of special edition they didn't update the paint for base 2019 collection (and probably the stock still last). Particularly the frameset. The completed bike has their own special color which is not available as a frameset like you said (some Sagan, eTap AXS etc..) The Venge will probably see something similar - a few base color, A lot more special edition, but less annual update (which is good for the dealer I think).

Will see if August brings some new color for the Tarmac.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

whatleytom

by whatleytom

Is anyone using any other aero bars on their Venge? I ended up getting 38cm Aerofly II which I'm finding too narrow, can't for the life of me find any 40cm bars before a delivery from specialized very late this year.

Would any other particular bars suit? I like the look of the Enve ones, but the flare at the drops looks far too much for me.

ichobi

by ichobi

Check out some of the Quickstep photos on instagram. Bob Jungles has always used Pro Vibe aero on his Venge. Looks clean and near.

tommyb

by tommyb

whatleytom wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:18 am
Is anyone using any other aero bars on their Venge? I ended up getting 38cm Aerofly II which I'm finding too narrow, can't for the life of me find any 40cm bars before a delivery from specialized very late this year.

Would any other particular bars suit? I like the look of the Enve ones, but the flare at the drops looks far too much for me.

Bontrager XXX VR-C 40cm shallow round bars for mine

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com