Light bicycle wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

deathbystereo

by deathbystereo

Hi Guys, I am looking to pick up a pair of LB rims.... has anyone had issues removing tires from the sidewalls? I only ask because I had a pair of Reynolds Attack wheels and they were the worst, no one could remove tires away from the sidewalls.... and we are not talking about tubeless tires, this was just some 4000s... I would never attempt to put some tubeless tires on them despite what their marketing say. :(

I had some Hunts and they were so easy to get tires on and off.... Unfortunately they got damaged in a bike race so I am looking to replace the rims for less. But The Hunts were great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

deathbystereo

by deathbystereo

Robbyville wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:03 am
I actually just got a set of their 45 mm depth wheels from the North America distributor. Received the wheels within 6 days of order. I’m a big fan of Industry Nine hubs and the rims are tubeless compatible which is a must for me. Packaging was perfect and wheels are nice and true. To be fair I’ve only had one ride on them though but so far I’m pretty happy! Good warranty too or so they say.

3A7FD4D5-721A-4004-9FB2-666CEDBA7DCA.jpeg
How is the tire removal? Sweeeeet bike mate!

Zero7

by Zero7

I have the 46mm deep 28mm wide LB wheelset. I used Novatec hubs with Sapim CX ray spokes. Weighed in at 1435 grams.
Have around 600 miles on them so far. For the price it's hard to beat.
One thing to note is they are really wide. I needed to grind half the supplied brake pads down in order for them to fit on my 2018 Kestrel Talon X.
GP4000 25mm tires measures 28.5 on these rims
Kestrel.JPG

Beaver

by Beaver

Zero7 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:47 pm
One thing to note is they are really wide. I needed to grind half the supplied brake pads down in order for them to fit on my 2018 Kestrel Talon X.
The older generation Shimano brakes won't open wide enough. With R7000/R8000/R9100 brakes there is enough clearance now. For 30mm rims you will need Campy or TRP R970 SL brakes though. ;)

Hexsense

by Hexsense

deathbystereo wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:11 am
Hi Guys, I am looking to pick up a pair of LB rims.... has anyone had issues removing tires from the sidewalls? I only ask because I had a pair of Reynolds Attack wheels and they were the worst, no one could remove tires away from the sidewalls.... and we are not talking about tubeless tires, this was just some 4000s... I would never attempt to put some tubeless tires on them despite what their marketing say. :(

I had some Hunts and they were so easy to get tires on and off.... Unfortunately they got damaged in a bike race so I am looking to replace the rims for less. But The Hunts were great.
Easy, but novice will struggle without a required trick.

The thing is, LB have real deep center channel, and pretty tight/tall side bead lock.
If you only deflate and try to yank the tire out, i'll be really hard.

But if you add another step using your finger to push tire from side bead on both side back into the center channel for the whole round rim, basically unseat the tire from the rim first.
Then i can even remove the tire without tire lever :beerchug:

skyboy

by skyboy

Zero7 wrote:
I have the 46mm deep 28mm wide LB wheelset. I used Novatec hubs with Sapim CX ray spokes. Weighed in at 1435 grams.

Kestrel.JPG
Your brake pads are on the wrong way around!

Zero7

by Zero7

skyboy wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:47 am
Zero7 wrote:

Kestrel.JPG
Your brake pads are on the wrong way around!
Nope

euan

by euan

Did they go in from the front or the back?

Zero7

by Zero7

euan wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:08 pm
Brake pads should only go in one way. From the back.
Last edited by Zero7 on Fri May 24, 2019 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

skyboy

by skyboy

Zero7 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:59 pm
euan wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:08 pm
Serious?
Brake pads can only go in one way
This is the position your brake pads are in, notice the position of the screw that holds the pad

And this is what it should look like

You have the left hand side brake shoes on the right and the right on the left.
Doing this seriously reduces stopping power and consistency of stopping.

Same problem with the rear brakes.

Zero7

by Zero7

Skyboy,
Thanks for the info. I’ll switch them around.

Never mind tried switching them and it won’t work. If I swap sides I have to slide the pads in from the front. I’m not riding a bike where the brake pads slide in from the front.

Discodan

by Discodan

I’m going to second Zero7 on that one, he’s got the pads the right way around. The alternative suggest leaves the pads at massive risk of being ripped out the front of the holder and the guide ‘wings’ are useless as they’re pointing upwards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Etienne

by Etienne

Discodan wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:48 am
I’m going to second Zero7 on that one, he’s got the pads the right way around.
That's right, the front brake's shoe holders of Shimano 105 direct mount calipers are specific, and different from the traditional ones ... the retaining screw is in front of the caliper, hence the confusion :idea:

Zero7

by Zero7

Etienne wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:01 am
Discodan wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:48 am
I’m going to second Zero7 on that one, he’s got the pads the right way around.
That's right, the front brake's shoe holders of Shimano 105 direct mount calipers are specific, and different from the traditional ones ... the retaining screw is in front of the caliper, hence the confusion :idea:
The bike came with Tektro calipers and I swapped them out for Shimano 105 🤙

Robbyville

by Robbyville

deathbystereo wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:13 am
Robbyville wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:03 am
I actually just got a set of their 45 mm depth wheels from the North America distributor. Received the wheels within 6 days of order. I’m a big fan of Industry Nine hubs and the rims are tubeless compatible which is a must for me. Packaging was perfect and wheels are nice and true. To be fair I’ve only had one ride on them though but so far I’m pretty happy! Good warranty too or so they say.

3A7FD4D5-721A-4004-9FB2-666CEDBA7DCA.jpeg
How is the tire removal? Sweeeeet bike mate!
Apologies for the insanely delayed response. Thanks for the kind words!

Tire installation and removal have been no problem overall. Exception has been the contin5000’s in tubeless. They were a little nasty to get on but once method is figured no big deal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com