2019 PRO thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ave

by ave

Yesterday Cavagna, today Tejay. Strange, California is.

halcyongolf

by halcyongolf

Tejay....missed that turn....announcers said he was on Lachlan Morton's bike, and I'm going to guess that Lachlan runs the right brake as his front brake lever which is the reverse of what Tejay would be used to. Unlucky.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:30 pm
ichobi wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:12 pm
Nice clip. Looks fast! What speed were you going at?

I probably maxed out just under 50mph on Quimby. It's exceedingly rare for me to get higher than that on California mountain roads. They're either steep/twisty or shallow/straight. On the proper Mt. Hamilton descent I bet no one ever breaks 50mph...even 45mph would be an achievement. It looks like the top descenders yesterday hit 41-43mph on the first descent.
made me look.. only mid 30's for me and that was at the end... my hands where frozen because of the snow last time I did it Mt Ham... so up near the top only only 30mph
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:16 am

made me look.. only mid 30's for me and that was at the end... my hands where frozen because of the snow last time I did it Mt Ham... so up near the top only only 30mph

Looks like I'm usually maxing in the very low 40s on Mt. Ham at various points, though yes you can go consistently faster at the bottom if you sprint out of corners. It's too technical and too shallow to allow for much faster. Even the pros only hit ~42mph and they had the extra lane. Of course they hit high 40s on Quimby, which is expected.

I will say again, it's not a fun descent. The past two winters have badly torn up some portions of the road near the top. Luckily there were volunteers marking the potholes, dips, bumps with spray paint earlier in the day. Almost all the corners on the first descent have very little banking/camber and most of them have a sharply decreasing radius going down. Cavagna looked particularly bad going down, but he was muscling his way down the descent...accelerating harder on the straighter portions and braking very late compared to Hoehn. I'd love to compare the segment times, but Cavagna hasn't made his ride public on Strava yet.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

halcyongolf wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:12 am
Tejay....missed that turn....announcers said he was on Lachlan Morton's bike, and I'm going to guess that Lachlan runs the right brake as his front brake lever which is the reverse of what Tejay would be used to. Unlucky.
Yep, quickly got on Lachlan's bike with the brakes set the opposite way, he confirmed it in an interview, he only figured it out in that corner when he locked the front wheel and panicked.

Lucky for him, it looks like the race jury thought that the 3km rule doesn't apply in the US, it's a 3 miles rule!

LeDuke

by LeDuke

EF’s chase was pretty weird. Really don’t get what they were doing. TvG looked like he gave up right when the crash happened.

Phinney never took a pull, then was far too nice to the Ineos dude that stopped him in his tracks. Could have easily thrown a gentle shoulder into him and moved him out of the way. Instead, he let himself get gapped off the tail end.

Supremely lucky the commissaries don’t read the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

LeDuke wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:05 am
EF’s chase was pretty weird. Really don’t get what they were doing. TvG looked like he gave up right when the crash happened.

Phinney never took a pull, then was far too nice to the Ineos dude that stopped him in his tracks. Could have easily thrown a gentle shoulder into him and moved him out of the way. Instead, he let himself get gapped off the tail end.

Supremely lucky the commissaries don’t read the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can not understand this ruling, home town boy is loving it! :-(
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

madik

by madik

My eyes burns! Cable pulled mechanical disc brakes :noidea:
Functionality > Performance > Weight

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I've got no issue with Spyres other than the OEM pads. They were quite good with compressionless housing and SwissStop pads. Certainly makes it easier to get rid of rotor rub after a wheel change with the pad adjusters or even a barrel adjuster.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

wow, just wow at ToC. not only do race organizers fail to provide decent time gaps (it's the same every year), now they've decided to manualy override results in favor of their homie.

I fail to see any point in watching this race anymore..
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

madik wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:15 am
My eyes burns! Cable pulled mechanical disc brakes :noidea:
A little surprising to see for sure... but this rider rides for the Aevelo Continental team. I'd imagine they have a pretty tight budget at that level.... so a top of the line DA-Hydro set up is nice, but they can robably make those dollars go a lot further by using Ultegra Di2 with cable disc brakes, allowing them to get to more races, stacking up more wins so they can advance and get better oppurtunities. They really showed themselves well at Tour of Colorado the past few seasons and I think there are two or 3 of them on this hybrid USA Cycling team.

ave

by ave

tymon_tm wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:33 am
wow, just wow at ToC. not only do race organizers fail to provide decent time gaps (it's the same every year), now they've decided to manualy override results in favor of their homie.

I fail to see any point in watching this race anymore..
If I'd be Leferere I'd pull out my team, if they keep this stupid decision. Not joking! And everybody else too!!
How on Earth could they allow it!!!! He was slipstreaming cars, okay I'd look away from that. But this??? ****** them!!

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:47 am
A little surprising to see for sure... but this rider rides for the Aevelo Continental team. I'd imagine they have a pretty tight budget at that level.... so a top of the line DA-Hydro set up is nice, but they can robably make those dollars go a lot further by using Ultegra Di2 with cable disc brakes, allowing them to get to more races, stacking up more wins so they can advance and get better oppurtunities. They really showed themselves well at Tour of Colorado the past few seasons and I think there are two or 3 of them on this hybrid USA Cycling team.
I could be wrong (and often am) but they look like mechanical levers to me - perhaps the rider prefers mechanical but doesn't want the larger hoods found on the mechanical hydraulic versions. Haven't seen what the rest of the team are on though.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

raisinberry777 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:01 pm
I could be wrong (and often am) but they look like mechanical levers to me - perhaps the rider prefers mechanical but doesn't want the larger hoods found on the mechanical hydraulic versions. Haven't seen what the rest of the team are on though.
Yes... I think you're right. The levers do look mechanical.. I hadn't noticed that. I was looking for the tell-tale loop of housing out the back and didn't see it, so I assumed Di2, but the latest mechanical groupsets do need less exposed loop to work correctly because of the way they pull. The teams is a mashup... I think there are 3 guys from Aevelo, so they're all on the Cannondales that they use. I think McCabe is on a Van Dessel because that's what the Floyd's of Leadville team uses... not sure of the other guys on the USA team. I saw one that appeared to be on a black Allez Sprint, not sure what team he normally rides for.

kytyree

by kytyree

I wasn't happy to see TJ and EF have a bad day yesterday, but it was what it was. I certainly never imagined that I'd wake up this morning and find out he'd been gifted the same time. That's a poor decision, and an embarassing one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com