Lightweight Disc bike mid-range?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

moyboy

by moyboy

Hi Folks, looking to options on a lightweight disc frameset that's mid range or up.

Any WW options that you've had success on recently?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

What do you consider "mid range" and 'Lightweight" ?
Might narrow the responses a bit
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

it's an oxymore

well canyon has some okayish not too heavy disc mid range

otherwhise custom build with a frameset bought used or in sold it's the best way

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

Yes, I have friends with Pinarellos and such, that consider my Canyon Ulimate disc (6.8kg) to be mid range

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

I think the Tarmac Disc Expert is a pretty solid bike.

Ultegra
Good carbon (tubeless) wheels, with wide internal width
Looks great (IMHO) in the grey camo paint
Great geometry
Room for wide tires
$4750 USD retail

There is also some low hanging fruit to drop the weight more. Handlebars and saddle replacement could easily shave 200g for little cash outlay. Also if you want to get a Sram Red or DA cassette, there is some more weight to save (drop down from the stock 11-30 to an 11-28 or lower to save even more). Or buy some Specialized carbon cranks.

siim

by siim

Cervelo R3 disc is few grams under 900g for 56cm painted frame. Uncut fork 383g. In comparison there are brands that can't match that even with their top of the range offering.

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

Briscoelab wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:57 pm
I think the Tarmac Disc Expert is a pretty solid bike.

Ultegra
Good carbon (tubeless) wheels, with wide internal width
Looks great (IMHO) in the grey camo paint
Great geometry
Room for wide tires
$4750 USD retail

There is also some low hanging fruit to drop the weight more. Handlebars and saddle replacement could easily shave 200g for little cash outlay. Also if you want to get a Sram Red or DA cassette, there is some more weight to save (drop down from the stock 11-30 to an 11-28 or lower to save even more). Or buy some Specialized carbon cranks.
17 lbs :shock:
https://ozarkcyclingadventures.com/gene ... sc-expert/

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

siim wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:25 pm
Cervelo R3 disc is few grams under 900g for 56cm painted frame. Uncut fork 383g. In comparison there are brands that can't match that even with their top of the range offering.
Ultimate SLX Size M (*56) 820g, 325G

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Yep, none of the SL6 Tarmacs can be mistaken for light, not even the rim-brake "Ultralight" frames that ended up being >800g.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Look at a felt fr 1 or 2.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

A problem is manufacturers claimed weight. They say 6.8kg. Maybe that's without paint in XS size, no PM, no pedals, no computer, no computer mount, no bottle cages. A 6.8kg claimed weight could easily turn into 7.5kg or far more in real life on the road in size M.

Personally I like to think the bikes weight is as ridden, same as GCN's pro bike checks.

So by this analysis anything under 7kg is light. Thing is you're never really going to get a disk bike under 7kg without some weenie parts that aren't going to be durable enough for confident enduro type riding or some very clever component choices and lots of money. You want light for cheaper go tubs and rims.

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

Lewn777 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:28 am
A problem is manufacturers claimed weight. They say 6.8kg. Maybe that's without paint in XS size, no PM, no pedals, no computer, no computer mount, no bottle cages. A 6.8kg claimed weight could easily turn into 7.5kg or far more in real life on the road in size M.

Personally I like to think the bikes weight is as ridden, same as GCN's pro bike checks.

So by this analysis anything under 7kg is light. Thing is you're never really going to get a disk bike under 7kg without some weenie parts that aren't going to be durable enough for confident enduro type riding or some very clever component choices and lots of money. You want light for cheaper go tubs and rims.
Not true
My Size S Ulitmate Disk is 6.8kg, Canyon weights have been spot on for the 2 I have
2 Bottle cages, computer mount incl
No weight weenie parts either

I'm sure there are other "LW" Disc bikes out there
Bikes are progressing

Lewn777

by Lewn777

RedbullFiXX wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:19 pm
Lewn777 wrote:

Not true
My Size S Ulitmate Disk is 6.8kg, Canyon weights have been spot on for the 2 I have

Bikes are progressing
Come on add pedals it's 7.1kg, and if you were a normal size near 7.5kg.

Barking

by Barking

My S-Works Tarmac disc in a 56 with SRAM Etap is 7.5kg combat weight, which includes pedals, cages, Garmin mount and rear light.

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

Lewn777 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:32 pm
RedbullFiXX wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:19 pm
Lewn777 wrote:

Not true

Bikes are progressing
Come on add pedals it's 7.1kg, and if you were a normal size near 7.5kg.
Just under 6.8 in fact, size sm is similar to a 54, one of the most populars sizes sold
Ready to ride, not making this up

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com