Replacement pulley/jockey wheel recommendations

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

They are quite expensive and I feel that cheaper pairs will work perfectly fine too. I don't buy into the hype of ceramic bearings too. Besides, these seems to be resistant to rotation before breaking in, and I doubt they will do very much better after that, so I don't get it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

They are quite expensive and I feel that cheaper pairs will work perfectly fine too. I don't buy into the hype of ceramic bearings too. Besides, these are positively resistant to rotation before breaking in, and I doubt they will do very much better after that, so I don't get it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:34 am
nickf wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:08 am
Alloy ones have worked well for me. I don't really notice any extra noise to be honest. KCNC is what I typically go with. All that oversized stuff is just bling.

The first thing I noticed when I put on Kogel alloy pulleys was the noise. Your bike must be making all kinds of noises if you "don't really notice any extra noise."
The noise of the OG1090 cassette drowns out all other noises.

TonyM

by TonyM

I have some expensive CeramicSpeed and they are very smooth. They don’t however make you faster. Placebo effect only maybe.

I have also some from Kogel and they are not that smooth.
The cheap Taxc ceramic are also quite smooth however.

byronfat

by byronfat

I have taken everything off but the water pump is still stuck on pretty good? Is there something else I have to take off after the crank pulley?i have 5 bolts that came out of the water pump, is there more?

TonyM

by TonyM

byronfat wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:56 pm
I have taken everything off but the water pump is still stuck on pretty good? Is there something else I have to take off after the crank pulley?i have 5 bolts that came out of the water pump, is there more?
Could you elaborate on that?? :shock: :lol:

jspaceman

by jspaceman

One of the issues I heard was that the CeramicSpeeds are rather 'high maintenance'. You have to clean the bearings and relube them after every 2000km or so. Is that true? I mean, I clean and relube my bike and all; but living in a two bedroom apartment I don't have a workbench for a lot of fine detail stuff like that.

TonyM

by TonyM

jspaceman wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:42 am
One of the issues I heard was that the CeramicSpeeds are rather 'high maintenance'. You have to clean the bearings and relube them after every 2000km or so. Is that true? I mean, I clean and relube my bike and all; but living in a two bedroom apartment I don't have a workbench for a lot of fine detail stuff like that.

Oops I didn't relube these in the last 10,000 km (no wet rides!) and they are still running very smooth...
Relubing means just puttimg some lube on these I suppose w/o taking them apart....

reknop

by reknop

TonyM wrote:I have some expensive CeramicSpeed and they are very smooth. They don’t however make you faster. Placebo effect only maybe.

I have also some from Kogel and they are not that smooth.
The cheap Taxc ceramic are also quite smooth however.
I personally use CEMA bearing jockey wheels with full ceramic bearing.

I know that C-Bear (supplier of Lotto Soudal) also has these good quality full ceramic jockey wheels. Image

And indeed those jockey wheels don't make you faster.

https://www.remo-knops.com/7623/cema-be ... ey-wheels/

Sent from my Nokia 8 Sirocco using Tapatalk

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

galr1

by galr1

I'm very happy with the tacx ceramic/teflon, using these on both red Etap and campagnolo chorus along with waxed chains. Based on the friction facts papers you may save a little drag and the cost is defintely right for these.

Svetty

by Svetty

In the UK, Hope make good jockey wheels with fairly high quality bearings at reasonable price......

ms6073

by ms6073

There was a time that I was all about aftermarket pulley/jockey wheels, and was pretty happy with TISO's ceramic offerings, that is until the wife rolled over a bit of bad asphalt right as she was shifting from small to large chainring and the bump coupled with the lack of lateral play in TISO's alloy pulley design resulted in a broken derailleur hanger and destroyed RD-9070 deraileur!
byronfat wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:56 pm
Is there something else I have to take off after the crank pulley?i have 5 bolts that came out of the water pump, is there more?
I suggest you check the the shade tree auto mechanic thread. :beerchug:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

I use SRAM Eagle XX1 replacements on mine, they're 12/14th, narrow wide and the bottom one is ceramic. Use older XX1 if you cant fit a 14t. They're available very cheap and are OEM quality.

jspaceman

by jspaceman

So what about Titanium jockey wheels? Nashbar has some SLF Motion ones on sale https://www.nashbar.com/slf-motion-hype ... gm/p769378 with Titanium wheels and full ceramic bearings.

Do full ceramics wear faster than hybrid ceramic?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stueys

by Stueys

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:34 am

The first thing I noticed when I put on Kogel alloy pulleys was the noise. Your bike must be making all kinds of noises if you "don't really notice any extra noise."
Having done exactly this yesterday I would completely agree, not sure yet whether they are staying on. Probably just replacing with the stock Shimano ones is the best option.