Cervelo R5 - disc vs rim

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jlok

by jlok

cshong88 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:47 pm
Well, about to bite the bullet on rim vs disc version of the R5. Having had a chance to extensively ride both, I'm still on the fence and looking for suggestions/advice. Sorry to bring up again as I know the whole rim vs disc debate has been discussed extensively. To rehash my situation, I'm a cat 1 racer and do pay attention to what the pros ride. Have always been firmly in the rim brake camp but with more and more disc bikes showing up in the pro/elite peloton, I've been contemplating switch to disc to stay with current trends. A lot of pros still on rim bikes this year but I wonder what 2020 season will bring - disc brakes for GC contenders? Sunweb switch to all disc including cervelo R5 disc? If this happened, I think I'd switch to disc pretty readily.

Rim bike considerations:
No obvious need for discs based on where I live (don't ride in rain too often, no big descents).
Gut instinct says ride quality of rim bike is smoother, more agile, more enjoyable to ride than disc bike.

Rim brake obviously. End of.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fxx

by fxx

The only real concern is this debate is technical obsolescence, will bike and wheel manufacturers still support rim brakes in 5 years time.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

fxx wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:25 am
The only real concern is this debate is technical obsolescence, will bike and wheel manufacturers still support rim brakes in 5 years time.

Both current rim and disc frames may become obsolete (not actually obsolete but shorthand obsolete) if some new 13 speed hub standard emerges.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Shrike wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:21 am
fxx wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:25 am

Both current rim and disc frames may become obsolete (not actually obsolete but shorthand obsolete) if some new 13 speed hub standard emerges.

I think that would make the cheap wheelset on a stock build obsolete, not the frame. I doubt Shimano would pull a SRAM to try and replicate the new eTAP non-AXS where everything is disposable and non-compatible. They've been supporting rim brakes for 100 years, no need to worry they aren't going anywhere even if they stop stocking them on off the shelf bikes from Specialized. FWIW, I would be more concerned that a better disc technology evolves and affects compatibility.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

ducman

by ducman

Team Sunweb/Dumolin goes to the Giro on rim R5's. So far my contribution.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

The reality is the disk brake will be more obsolete in 3-5 years time than the rim brake bike. The reason some manufactuers want disks is to make further changes to bicycles like boost axles, wider Q-factors and more gears and obviously do away with the front derailleur when there is 14 wide spaced gears on the back with some new hub standard. There are aero gains to be made on the seat stay.

When the disk brake has won out current disk brakes will very quickly (if you buy a disk brake bike) be out of standards and look old. It's no surprise who is pushing this: Specialized, Trek and the Taiwanese big manufacturers. Why? The reason is they have more manufacturing control and more R&D power than the smaller players and can bring their designs to market first and push them out of the market because the smaller player's stuff will look out of date. The smaller players will have to play market trend catch-up constantly. Possibly they will have to stop manufacturing in the far east and concentrate on classic rim brake bikes and manufacture their own disk brake bikes to be able to keep up with trends, making them a tiny niche boutique option, where the big players take most of the market.

This way they win both ways:
1. They sell more bikes to customers.
2. They take an even larger part of the market.

The only thing slowing them down is fear of customer backlash.

The rim brake bike will look 'classic' for years and I'm sure someone will supply parts if there is a market. Sure, in two years a rim bike could look dated, but after 3-5 years the current 2019 disk model will look seriously worse and be much less desirable and might actually have a lower resale value.

Lots of people are buying disk brake bikes because they are 'the future of cycling', whilst that may or may not be true, that doesn't mean the disk brake bike you'll buy to today won't look entirely out of date and have extinct standards in a few years time.

IMHO, my 2 cents, don't take it personally because you disagree and have money invested in a disk brake bike, I can be and have been wrong. :thumbup:

kervelo

by kervelo

I find it pretty funny how much time and effort some people are putting to inventing reasons why they would never buy a bike with rim/disc brakes. :lol:

I have both, they are both great and I would not give either of them away. Nobody could live with just one bike anyway.

NYCPrynne

by NYCPrynne

kervelo wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:53 am
I find it pretty funny how much time and effort some people are putting to inventing reasons why they would never buy a bike with rim/disc brakes. :lol:

I have both, they are both great and I would not give either of them away. Nobody could live with just one bike anyway.
Totally agree.

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

kervelo wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:53 am

QFT :thumbup:
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I find it pretty funny how some people make up reasons to want a disk brake bike when it's totally uneccessary and are so utterly stubborn ignorant deaf and in denial to the huge amount of downsides. Not even shying awayfrom using ad-hominem attacks for their argument.

I have both and rim are better for what I need a bike to do. Keeping more than one bike properly maintained is expensive and largely pointless.

fxx

by fxx

kervelo wrote:I find it pretty funny how much time and effort some people are putting to inventing reasons why they would never buy a bike with rim/disc brakes. Image

I have both too...my beef is that we may have this choice taken away.

MoPho

by MoPho

Lewn777 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:48 am
I find it pretty funny how some people make up reasons to want a disk brake bike when it's totally uneccessary and are so utterly stubborn ignorant deaf and in denial to the huge amount of downsides. Not even shying awayfrom using ad-hominem attacks for their argument.

I have both and rim are better for what I need a bike to do. Keeping more than one bike properly maintained is expensive and largely pointless.
Pot to kettle

Lewn777

by Lewn777

MoPho wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:18 am
Lewn777 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:48 am

Pot to kettle

Yeah right. Someone expresses an opinion different to yours and you go in with full guns blazing every time with hatred an intolerance. People express opinions against rim brakes and there's no army jumping in to 'educate' we just leave it until we're attacked personally for having the 'wrong' opnion. There's a huge difference shame you can't see it, but then objectivity isn't a strong suit of the Team America Tech Army.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Lewn777, are you really so blind to your own mannerisms? I curiously opened this necro thread and the first thing I see is your mouth frothing.

1) Boost spacing doesn't require new disc brake hardware. It requires a Boost frame and hub.
2) Same thing with Q/stance-width.
3a) It is very unlikely that we see a mainstream 14spd groupset adopt new freehub spacing. Chainline angles are already pretty bad with 11spd, disc or rim. IMO it's actually worse with 130mm OLD than 135mm OLD for the cogs I use most.
3b) A 14spd group will be 1x and it will have a huge cassette. It's likely the largest two cogs will be hang past the inner edge of the freehub body as mountain cassettes already do. We're talking something like a 10-45t cassette with 10-11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-24-28-33-39-45 or something like that.
4) So what if a new bike comes out? New bikes always come out. That doesn't make a current disc-brake bike obsolete, and it can't make it more obsolete than a rim-brake bike.
5) I hate to break it to you, but most people can't even draw a bike accurately from memory. Rim-brakes only look "classic" to a small, dwindling consumer subset.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sun May 12, 2019 6:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

MoPho

by MoPho

Lewn777 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:13 am

Yeah right. Someone expresses an opinion different to yours and you go in with full guns blazing every time with hatred an intolerance. People express opinions against rim brakes and there's no army jumping in to 'educate' we just leave it until we're attacked personally for having the 'wrong' opnion. There's a huge difference shame you can't see it, but then objectivity isn't a strong suit of the Team America Tech Army.

You seem to have me confused with yourself :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com