Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hannawald

by hannawald

Well, I just bought eps 12 speed upgrade kit second hand (new but from a guy I know). So I needed to buy a chainset. I wanted powermeter. It was simply too much for me to buy a new 12sp crank and Stages PM. Especially when I didn't need Campa going from Etap, I just wanted it for my Bianchi.
I have found a PM here for 340 euro, but it was 170mm crank length. I have never had a crank this short. But decided to try. I have problems with knees so I will see. So I didn't want to buy 12sp 170mm crankset when not sure it will fit me..so bought 11 speed for 350 GBP, because I thought there was no problem with compatibility based on what i had read here and thought it was just about aesthetics..now not sure..

hannawald

by hannawald

graeme_f_k: thanks for your feedback..well, i just trusted guys here..we will see, how it goes with Campa 11 speed crankset, i have already bought them. If not, i will have to resell them and buy 12 speed. Or may be 12 speed record chainrings will fit 11 speed cranks?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

octav

by octav

You should just try, I was running 9speed chainrings with 11speed chain with no issue. So just do some miles on it and see how it goes.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Thanks GFK.

Direct question: 12 speed rings on 11 speed 4 arm chainset?

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

ghisallo2003 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:44 pm
Thanks GFK.

Direct question: 12 speed rings on 11 speed 4 arm chainset?
Not recommended because it depends on the set-up - disc / non disc & variant on 11s crankset.
With P2M crank, for instance, it works OK but it's noisy ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

graeme_f_k

by graeme_f_k

hannawald wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:32 pm
graeme_f_k: thanks for your feedback..well, i just trusted guys here..we will see, how it goes with Campa 11 speed crankset, i have already bought them. If not, i will have to resell them and buy 12 speed. Or may be 12 speed record chainrings will fit 11 speed cranks?
Pls see my answer to Ghisallo2003 ...
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

graeme_f_k

by graeme_f_k

octav wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:59 am
You should just try, I was running 9speed chainrings with 11speed chain with no issue. So just do some miles on it and see how it goes.
It depends what you call an issue ... if the chain had dropped between the rings - liable to happen on some frame geo and some combinations of ring size and cassette ... would you call that an issue - how about if it happened when you were out of the saddle climbing?

So much depends on precision for correct function these days that "well x, y or z worked for me" is pretty meaningless unless you have the exact same set up, same frame, same frame size, everything.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it can't work - but as I have said before, a lot also depends on what you mean by "work" ... what a lot of guys consider to be a bike working properly, I wouldn't let out of the workshop and I'd fire any mechanic that worked for me, if they did ...

LionelB

by LionelB

Yeah, not taking any "risks" here :D

Works really nicely and compared to V3 I think the RD is a tad quicker, the front is significantly faster. The reach to the upshift paddle seems to be a tad shorter. I like the ergonomics of the levers. Love the crankset look as well and finally I really like the 11-32.

mag

by mag

@graeme_f_k I'm slowly planning the following:

- put P2M crankset on the bike with the 12s SR groupset
- move the current 12s SR crankset from that bike to a new bike to be built with the 11s Potenza Disc Brake groupset

(I'd rather reuse the existing crankset than purchase another one)

The Potenza DB crankset has the same chainline as the 12s SR one so that should be ok, don't you think?

Ideally I'd put the 12s chainrings on the P2M cranks and put 11s ones on the 12s SR ones, but the big one might not fit so I may have to stick with the 12s chainrings everywhere.

morrisond

by morrisond

Sell the P2M and buy a Stages for your SR12 crank and keep that on the SR12 bike - you will be a lot happier

RyanH

by RyanH

morrisond wrote:Sell the P2M and buy a Stages for your SR12 crank and keep that on the SR12 bike - you will be a lot happier
Sure, if he doesn't care about the quality of his data...

colagreek

by colagreek

RyanH wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:40 pm
morrisond wrote:Sell the P2M and buy a Stages for your SR12 crank and keep that on the SR12 bike - you will be a lot happier
Ok I have to ask, (4iiii and Stages Gen 3 user myself) What is your issue with the stages setup? Genuine question as I was about to send off my new SR 12s Crankset for a Stages Factory Install.

I know there were issues with Gen 1-2 Stages.

morrisond

by morrisond

RyanH wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:40 pm
Dcrainmaker seems to think it's fine. I get it if you are a Tour rider - but for the rest of us - I would take the better shifting anyday.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I was going to go P2Max on my builds, but that SR 12 crank is too sexy to not install.. I went with SRM Exakts... everyone I spoke with is very happy with em.. sure they take an extra step to install em, but they are never coming off the bike so I could care less.

RyanH

by RyanH

morrisond wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:29 pm
Dcrainmaker seems to think it's fine. I get it if you are a Tour rider - but for the rest of us - I would take the better shifting anyday.
Don't take everything DCrainmaker says for gospel (I've purchased 3 products so far based on his recommendations that serious flaws were omitted from the reviews). I had one that had been back to Stages 3x and was producing 20K watt spikes still. I had another that read a full 10% high. I can begin listing off at least a half a dozen friends that have had significant issues with theirs too.

You can get a Quarq, P2M or Favero Assioma for not much more than a Stages...so why would you choose the PM option that has such a sordid history?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com