THM Clavicula SE crank

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

there are no known discounts on these special cranks. they are worth the price.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

I've gotten discounts three times.
Last edited by tabl10s on Fri May 10, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgasmd

by dgasmd

tabl10s wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:37 pm
I gotten discounts three times.
Where???? Feel free to send me a PM.

Also, is the SRM powermeter the only one that fits these cranks? If not, then which others?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

the srm is for the m3

dgasmd

by dgasmd

mike wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:01 pm
the srm is for the m3
OK then. So which other PM fir the other THM cranks for road bikes?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

that is all there is

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

you may want to just go with srm's power meter, the origin. it looks like a clavicula combined with a look crankset pedal system spindle

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

I have done 2 000km now since I installed my cranks properly. No issues so far until now

I check them between every other ride if they have come loose by using my hands pulling the cranks side to side.

And today they had, everything torqued properly but I can feel just the slightest smallest play that I am 100% confident wasn't there a couple of days ago.

I did ride hard yesterday with a few sprints (81kg, 178cm) and probably puts out 800w approx with a small peak towards 1000w.

Is it common for the cranks to come loose, >ie a small play to appear.?

Want to hear about your experiences who have had them much longer.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I've had mine come loose and NDS fall off a number of times. Mine where/are maybe 5 years old. THM let me replace them at discount awhile back and they have just been sitting NIB. First that retaining screw would loosen, then play developed and I can actually see a little carbon wear on the spindle. I've been thinking of having maybe some sort of thin metel sleeve fab'd so it's not a carbon to carbon interface anymore. I still have the old cranks, so obvioulsy on that set first.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

spdntrxi wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:03 pm
I've had mine come loose and NDS fall off a number of times. Mine where/are maybe 5 years old. THM let me replace them at discount awhile back and they have just been sitting NIB. First that retaining screw would loosen, then play developed and I can actually see a little carbon wear on the spindle. I've been thinking of having maybe some sort of thin metel sleeve fab'd so it's not a carbon to carbon interface anymore. I still have the old cranks, so obvioulsy on that set first.
You mean the retaining bolt fell off or the entire crank arm? :shock: :shock:

I don't understand how the retaining screw can come loose, it must mean it can unscrew itself

What was the discount and what response have you received to the actual problem? If there are flaws in tje product it should be met with proper response from THM, just sent them an mail asking what I asked here.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

talking about the silver piece that goes over the spindle... yes it can back out, that's why over the years they added those little screws in that cap and also the screw direction changed as well on that silver piece. The silver piece cap whatever it's called..I've actually broken the threads 3-4 times. All torqued to spec

replaced under crash replacement.. can remember the exact percentage but it was like 40 or 50, which I though was fair since the cranks where 5+ years old. If yours are new, I'd expect to pay nothing.

I'd got tired of fussing and just using old Sram RED 11sp cranks with Extralite chainrings. I'm not losing much in the weight dept with this setup and its been set and forget.

Edit : Official name = adjusting screw

was your adjusting screw lose ? did those retaining screws back out? or do you just notice play ?
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

spdntrxi wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:57 pm
talking about the silver piece that goes over the spindle... yes it can back out, that's why over the years they added those little screws in that cap and also the screw direction changed as well on that silver piece. The silver piece cap whatever it's called..I've actually broken the threads 3-4 times. All torqued to spec

replaced under crash replacement.. can remember the exact percentage but it was like 40 or 50, which I though was fair since the cranks where 5+ years old. If yours are new, I'd expect to pay nothing.

I'd got tired of fussing and just using old Sram RED 11sp cranks with Extralite chainrings. I'm not losing much in the weight dept with this setup and its been set and forget.

Edit : Official name = adjusting screw

was your adjusting screw lose ? did those retaining screws back out? or do you just notice play ?
OH wow, didn't know there are small screws like this.
Mine does not have that....
https://r2-bike.com/THM-CARBONES-Adjust ... ght-Thread

I will check tomorrow but I don't think it's loosely loose. Just noticing that minor small play that wasn't there before.

I rather fix, retighten the screws than the play to become worse

See what you mean! I came from/still have a red axs Quarq crankset but with THM I would save like +100 grams, did the math last year on the forum somewhere. Sram cranks are set and forget, never any fuss whatsoever

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

yes there are 3 small retaining screws.. that was a running update. Definitely get rid of the play.. that is what will wear down the carbon over time.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:17 am
yes there are 3 small retaining screws.. that was a running update. Definitely get rid of the play.. that is what will wear down the carbon over time.
Very quick response from THM!
First mail saying I should follow instructions...
Which I have done.. So I asked about the different adjustment screws in case I have received an old crankset from the shelf.

Received this response, I do have the C4 mark and my adjustment screws threads in reverse.

So that means the one you refer to with the small screws must be the old version, no?

I have now unscrewed and retighten both bolts, removed the play and hope this never happen again. Insert extremely doubtful face here!
Attachments
Screenshot_2023-06-15-20-38-45-378_com.google.android.gm.jpg
IMG_20230615_195829.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

like I said mine is old.. I have not even looked at the new one other then in a bag :) Since I want to get a new frame anyways.

I'll have to look now, hope they gave me a C4 and not something from old stock
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault