Any news on potential 2020 TCR SL update?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chiltonp

by chiltonp

Getting close to pulling the trigger on a new frameset, possibly a Tarmac but dont want to jump the gun. I know a TCR SL has been rumored to come out for the 2020 season, anyone seen anyhting about it? What about an updated Aeroad?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

I was at a local Giant dealer in early March discussing this exact subject he's not convinced it will be happening. I asked why they wouldn't do it on what is their flagship model considering they've done big refreshes on the Defy and Propel (stems, fully internal routing, etc) and his reply was "because it's the perfect race bike. There's a reason the pros still ride it as is and it sells out every year".

Not sure what that's worth though...
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

amngwlvs wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:01 pm
I was at a local Giant dealer in early March discussing this exact subject he's not convinced it will be happening. I asked why they wouldn't do it on what is their flagship model considering they've done big refreshes on the Defy and Propel (stems, fully internal routing, etc) and his reply was "because it's the perfect race bike. There's a reason the pros still ride it as is and it sells out every year".

That’s funny cause I was told the same thing by a major Giant dealer here in Los Angeles. The TCR SL is a great bike but needs DM brakes and better aerodynamics to keep it fresh.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

ajmanby

by ajmanby

Noctiluxx wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:17 pm
amngwlvs wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:01 pm

That’s funny cause I was told the same thing by a major Giant dealer here in Los Angeles. The TCR SL is a great bike but needs DM brakes and better aerodynamics to keep it fresh.
I was close to buying a TCR but I thought the same, so I bought a Tarmac SL6 as ticks both the DM brakes and better aerodynamics boxes

wahla21

by wahla21

When did Giant launch the current TCR in the year? Around TDF?
Maybe the new one comes in early July?
Focus Izalco Max

BagelMaster

by BagelMaster

I’d expect to see a lot of updates around June/July. Willier and Cannondale are definitely updating around then. I would definitely consider an updated TCR as well!

chiltonp

by chiltonp

Yea, I would only expect to see a move to DM brakes, more aero tubeshapes, and maybe an option for integrated cockpit. Overall I l still love the current generation, just sort of got the itch.

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

chiltonp wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:16 pm
Yea, I would only expect to see a move to DM brakes, more aero tubeshapes, and maybe an option for integrated cockpit. Overall I l still love the current generation, just sort of got the itch.
I'm very interested to see if/when Giant will release the cockpit they're using on Greg Van Asvermaet's new TCR. That's a integrated cockpit I can get behind!

2013 Trek 520

Henryexige

by Henryexige

amngwlvs wrote:
chiltonp wrote:
I'm very interested to see if/when Giant will release the cockpit they're using on Greg Van Asvermaet's new TCR. That's a integrated cockpit I can get behind!

It is available to purchase at giant taiwan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

Henryexige wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:52 pm
Damn, that looks clean! Any idea when it will be available in North America?
2013 Trek 520

Henryexige

by Henryexige

amngwlvs wrote:
Henryexige wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:52 pm
Damn, that looks clean! Any idea when it will be available in North America?

Not sure yet. I tried to get my LBS to order it from Taiwan

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

Henryexige wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:03 pm
Very interesting, thanks so much for that. I'll have to ask mine to see if they can do the same. Thanks again!
2013 Trek 520

Henryexige

by Henryexige

amngwlvs wrote:
Henryexige wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:03 pm
Very interesting, thanks so much for that. I'll have to ask mine to see if they can do the same. Thanks again!
Welcome. This aerobar is perfect for the TCR advanced SL for sure. Can’t wait to put it on my TCR

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

amngwlvs wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:58 pm
chiltonp wrote:

Thats an awesome looking integrated bar.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bedampft

by bedampft

Yes there will be a new TCR for 2020. And beginning this summer it will be raced in certain events. The first bikes will be shipped end of the year, beginning of next year.
There will be more paint jobs in the likes of the current rimbrake SL frameset. I'm not allowed to talk about specific frame features in general, but it will be more aero.