Need advice on aero bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Restyle

by Restyle

Im a mountainbiker looking to get a roadbike.
I love to ride hard and fast, not as much super long, I live in a flat area so an aero bike seems to be the right fit for me.

I have about 3700€ to spare on this, being an MTB rider disk brakes are a no brainer for me, I tested both and felt more confy with the disks and Belgium has a lot of stops and traffic.

As im currently riding a canyon and I am super pleased with it, a Canyon Aeroad seems like a no brainer, but with a likely model refresh coming up soon (oktober? Dont wanne wait this long) and me not really liking the current color scemes, what other good brands or options are there? Is it possible to ask Canyon for a special colored bike? Im sure they have the frames in way more colors for specific projects..

This is my current pick, also looked at Giant but meh. For this money you dont even have deep wheels with the boutique brands..
https://www.canyon.com/en-be/road-bikes ... roesse=2XL

romanmoser

by romanmoser

If you can wait the new model is due after 4 5 years this summer

So maybe you can crab a real deal even more at this time
Or look at the ones in the outlet part of the site

No they don't have specific colors for projets
They are a direct consummer brand so they keep the options simple
You have black , silver , and blue with fade , th'at's it maybe red on some models

Don't know what your physical abilities are , your weight , your size , etc
I am also riding in Belgium near Namur
that kind of deep wheels especially in clinchers , are easy on flat and rolling rides but when you have real climb steep climbs you may or may not like they way they behave and the energy they requires

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Restyle

by Restyle

Im 1.88m and 79kg, 320ftp. I live in Limburg, we have some rolling hills but thats it. Since I have 2 young kiddos 1 month old and 2years old I will mostly ride around the church so to speak :)

Any other brands with good price/quality bikes? I would really like to get on the road this summer, striking a nice deal or a new model is very tempting but before they ship the summer will be over :(

What can we exprect from a new aeroad? I think disk only, hidden breaks maybe, integratzd cables and a slightly more agressive frame mayb but not any big changes I think. Its already very good.

Stueys

by Stueys

Aeroad still tests well, Canyon did a good job originally. And it's already fairly light so improvements are likely to be relatively marginal. I'd expect a fully integrated cockpit with fully hidden cabling, any other improvements are likely to be fairly marginal.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Rose Versand

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Stueys wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:16 pm
improvements are likely to be relatively marginal. I'd expect a fully integrated cockpit with fully hidden cabling, any other improvements are likely to be fairly marginal.
on top of that what should be update to keep up/ be future proof are:
- even more tire clearance, current one is adequate but who knows what is trendy in next 4 years.
- revised geometry:
-- like all new bikes that optimized for 25-28c, more bb drop. The original was quite low to the ground when they released. But now tires are taller and many other manufacturers lower their bottom bracket to compensate for that. Canyon should too.
-- probably two forks for small and large sizes, this help smaller sizes to handle better.
-- make flip flop fork offset setting at drop out available on disc brake version? , it's a good concept on rim brake one but maybe hard to do on the disc. If this is done, maybe one fork for all sizes may also work good (with optimal setting different between small and large sizes).

- somehow make VCLS seatpost mechanism available as an optional upgrade aero-comfort seatpost for Aeroad.
- widen lower part of downtube to better shield bottles from the wind and stiffen the bike up.

DJT21

by DJT21

The problem with all these aero bikes, especially for a new rider, is that the contact points aren't straight forward to adjust. A bike with a conventional seatpost size (27.2mm) and bar/stem size would make it far easier for you to tweak your fit to perfection. Cannondales are usually pretty good value, and the Supersix/CAAD12 use conventional components, plus I believe they're due to be replaced this year, so you may find a bargain on one of the current models.

dim

by dim

with a budget of 3700 euros:

if you want brand new, get the Canyon Aeroad .... they are fast (I've never ridden one, but have ridden with people who own them)

however, 3700 euros is good budget, and I personally would look at the 2nd hand market .... I'd look very closely at a Trek Madone 9 with good wheels and Di2 ... not sure if its faster than a Canyon Aeroad, but I just like the way it looks

I also like the Look 795 ... 3700 euros would get you a good used one with high specs

just my 2 cents, but saying that, I always buy 2nd hand, and always have a bike in mind.... I , save up for several months, and when the time comes to buy one, I end up getting something totally different as a last minute decision :)
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

robeambro

by robeambro

Restyle wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:41 pm
Im a mountainbiker looking to get a roadbike.
I love to ride hard and fast, not as much super long, I live in a flat area so an aero bike seems to be the right fit for me.

I have about 3700€ to spare on this, being an MTB rider disk brakes are a no brainer for me, I tested both and felt more confy with the disks and Belgium has a lot of stops and traffic.

As im currently riding a canyon and I am super pleased with it, a Canyon Aeroad seems like a no brainer, but with a likely model refresh coming up soon (oktober? Dont wanne wait this long) and me not really liking the current color scemes, what other good brands or options are there? Is it possible to ask Canyon for a special colored bike? Im sure they have the frames in way more colors for specific projects..

This is my current pick, also looked at Giant but meh. For this money you dont even have deep wheels with the boutique brands..
https://www.canyon.com/en-be/road-bikes ... roesse=2XL

The budget isn’t quite high enough to buy most brands, especially if you want deep wheels.

To go against common suggestions, what about buying a non top tier semi-aero bike (think Canyon Ultimate SL, Specialized Tarmac Pro, etc. I can list more if you’re interested)

You could get one of those with 105 or Ultegra, get some aero handlebar on, and buy a set of deep wheels (50-60mm) from China (Farsports come to mind, but there’s plenty others).

Pro: you would get far more choice in terms of bikes you can buy, and you would have a more versatile bike.

Cons: you would give up some 10-15w at high speed (think 40-45kmh) versus a full aero setup. Far less at cruise speed ~30kmh.
You decide whether that’s important to you. If it is, that’s no problem at all, but That’s all there is.

If aesthetically you prefer aero bikes, then go for the Aeroad. Otherwise, there’s an awful lot of choice within your budget for semi aero frames, so long as you compromise somewhere (maybe less fancy carbon, or lower level groupset..)

Restyle

by Restyle

I have tried di2 and its nice and crisp, but is it that much better then mechanical?

2nd hand is a good idea, but I find it hard to find the right one :) have only looked at the 2500 price range and was disapointed, man now im going to spend hours of browsing again :P thx

Buying cheaper bike and putting china stuff on is not something I prefer.

bilwit

by bilwit

At that price point it's definitely going to be mechanical -- which isn't a bad thing IMO. On a budget I always suggest buying the best frame that suits your fancy and getting it. You can always work towards upgrading it bit by bit in the future (that's part of the fun!). Used/parted out eTap and DA9070 go for pennies these days if you look hard enough.

Not sure about the availability over there but maybe take a look at the Orca Aero, it's priced pretty competitively (especially down to 105 groupset) and the new customized paint thing looks really good (like Trek's Project One). You can even do the custom color scheme on frameset only.

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/road/orca-aero/cat

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

4k gets you a nice Aeroad - don't look any further, if you don't want to burn any more money. it's just a great bike, I've ridden it for few years, it's fast, it's nimble, it's kinda nice uphill too. any other aero rig will be A LOT more expensive - and that's coming from a guy, who just traded his Aeroad for a Madone :oops:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.