tubular set up when using tub tape?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ukracer

by ukracer

Hi ,

Could i please get some advice for puncture set up when using tubulars with tape.

Just started using tubs after getting some cheap

Decided to use tape but not sure on best options in case of puncture to get me home.

Pit stop sealant / spare tub pre glued(if that would work) / Roll of tape and spare tub

Any advice would be great

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gurk700

by gurk700

I can't advise this as it's not the safest thing but I mount with tape and incase I ever get a flat I carry spare skinny little tufo that fits in my tiny saddlebag.
Install the Tufo on and ride very carefully back home. No glue or tape. Be very careful descending.

I did Pit Stop before that with no spare tubular tire. It worked 4 out of 5 times but honestly that 1 time it didn't work sucked. Thankfully it was a fairly small ride and happened at the end close to home.

Mirco

by Mirco

You may use sealant like NoTubes within your tire (30ml) like I did in my Conti Comp. tubular and carry 60ml within your saddle bag. Otherwise Smartphone and money, to get help and pay for it.

Wookski

by Wookski

Tune one shot works well- I recently managed to seal a 5mm cut that remained sealed for the 20km trip home. Use a pocket pump, never co2.

I don’t puncture enough to bother pre-filling the tyre, just carry in my jersey pocket for emergencies.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Atleast Tufo tape is leaving very sticky glue layer when you pull tire off. It's enought for spare tub if you ride carefully and don't corner hard. At home you can try remove carefully that glue layer in one piece and save lot of work with solvent.

For longer rides I prefer sealant + light Tufo tub just in case. Just remember not to use co2 with sealant, atleast start with handpump if you have both. Higher pressure can just shoot sealant out.
Last edited by Kumppa on Wed May 01, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ukracer

by ukracer

thanks for the replies guys

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I cary a preglued tub always and no sealant. Sealant means you tub canot be repaired. Sealant does not fix punctures always. Just replace the tyre and fix the punctured tub at home and it becomes your spare.

Not sure how tub glue sticks to tape as I think tape is the devils works (really I am not religious but the devil is the only reason why I can think tape exists) and have ony ever used glue. Of all the glues vittoria mastik one is by far the best. Clement tubasti is a good second and conti glue leaves a weaker bond unless your are very careful with application.

KCookie

by KCookie

I use tape to and carry Orange sealant and a Tufo tyre. As long as the tape stays on the rim just mount the spare tyre and keep riding. If not then as stated above ride home gingerly.

nickf

by nickf

I always use Carogna tape. I carry a small bottle of bontrager tire sealant. It usually goes bad before I have to use it. It did get me home a couple times.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I've had very good luck with orange seal - and that's all I carry with me now for a few years.

I also glue my tires now but spent over a year riding taped tubulars. I'd be impressed to hear any firsthand experiences from forum members to substantiate the "tape isn't safe" argument

cveks

by cveks

I ride Tubulars Tufo S3 and have spare Vittoria Rally in my saddle bag together with tape. I glue my tubs to my carbon rims and in case of puncture , which I did not yet had, because I put little amount of Tufo sealants into tubs, you need to start ungluing from from side opposite of your presta rim and pull out from rim . After that remove some glue from rim put tape and new tube and inflate it than ride carefully back to home.

cveks

by cveks

Imaking20 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:17 pm
I've had very good luck with orange seal - and that's all I carry with me now for a few years.

I also glue my tires now but spent over a year riding taped tubulars. I'd be impressed to hear any firsthand experiences from forum members to substantiate the "tape isn't safe" argument
same here

I rode bike with tape/tubs for more than year now I recently glued Vittoria Corsa tubs to my new carbon rims.

Rex

by Rex

Ditto.... nearly a year on tape and had no problems, but glue'd tubs definitely 'feel' better in every aspect.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com