Odds that we see disc brake only bikes go back to having rim offerings?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
MoPho
Posts: 549
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: NorCal/SoCal

by MoPho

ducman wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:55 am
MoPho wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:56 am
To long to repost/quote.....And you're a fool if you think your getting dropped on a hill because of your bike or what brakes you have.
Then you're the one for whom disc brakes are perfect!
Because I ain't no fool, fool

Image


.

by Weenie


rollinslow
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:25 am

by rollinslow

Wookski wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:39 am
devonbiker wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:27 pm
If I had a budget of £4000 upwards, I could potentially look at disc models that are just as light as much cheaper rim equaivalents because of the lighter frames, carbon wheels and full Dura-Ace groupsets you get on expensive bikes, so the 0.5kg weight penalty of having discs is offset by the other components of the bike.
Price is not necessarily a consideration. In fact, I’m guessing that I’m not alone and there will be laggards like me willing to burn more $ on rim than disc.

In the near future if you’re only contemplating big brand models then your options will be limited and rim won’t be in the picture.

I have to agree with this. Latest build was a custom Ti so no option but tried and true rim brakes when talking that kind of $$$. The result, a Ti bike that is 7kg.

ducman
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:49 pm

by ducman

MoPho wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:14 am
ducman wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:55 am
MoPho wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:56 am
To long to repost/quote.....And you're a fool if you think your getting dropped on a hill because of your bike or what brakes you have.
Then you're the one for whom disc brakes are perfect!
Because I ain't no fool, fool

Image


.
If that's a picture of you, for sure, without a doubt, i'd use disc brakes.

User avatar
Dan Gerous
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:28 pm

by Dan Gerous

ducman wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:44 pm
MoPho wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:14 am
ducman wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:55 am
MoPho wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:56 am



Then you're the one for whom disc brakes are perfect!
Because I ain't no fool, fool

Image


.
If that's a picture of you, for sure, without a doubt, i'd use disc brakes.
:mrgreen:

MoPho
Posts: 549
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: NorCal/SoCal

by MoPho

ducman wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:44 pm

If that's a picture of you, for sure, without a doubt, i'd use disc brakes.


Oooooh ya sure got me there! :thumbup:

ducman
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:49 pm

by ducman

Image

No harm intended ☺

User avatar
Beaver
Posts: 765
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:06 pm
Location: Lower Saxony - Germany

by Beaver

MoPho wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:48 am
Stop trying to bolster your argument by using pro riders as "proof" folks! Pros are descending on closed roads where they often have done a reconnaissance, they don't have to worry about oncoming traffic and can cut across multiple lanes and straighten a line, they don't need to brake as much. They have logistic issues to contend with and pros are just as suseptible to fear of change and being stubborn as anyone. Pros also have to earn their paychecks by performing well in races, marginal gains are actually important beyond just ego. It's nonsense to suggest that pros using rim brakes is somehow proof for consumers not to get disc brakes.
No, pros are no benchmark for what to buy - but if they have the choice, and they had last year, they took rim brakes in the mountain stages. If the performance benefits were as huge as marketing proclaims, this wouldn't have been the case. That's all I am saying.
MoPho wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:48 am
And if you are riding flats, you are not affected by the "useless weight" (which BTW is less weight than an empty coffee mug) except when riding away from a stoplight, but you might be affected more by your weaker brakes when a car pulls out in front of you :wink:
I should be around 150.000km now, had three accidents, three times because of drunk people, not because of rim brakes. Actually there has never even been a dangerous situation because of the brakes... All you can do is make yourself visible, always take your lights with you. That's saver - not disc brakes.

MoPho
Posts: 549
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: NorCal/SoCal

by MoPho

Beaver wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:30 pm

No, pros are no benchmark for what to buy - but if they have the choice, and they had last year, they took rim brakes in the mountain stages. If the performance benefits were as huge as marketing proclaims, this wouldn't have been the case. That's all I am saying.
Again, they ride under different conditions than recreational riders, what they choose says nothing about the performance of disc brakes. When you don't need to brake much for the corners because the roads are closed, you don't need any of the benefits of better brakes. Watch the video of retired pro Phil Gaimon that was posted earlier
I should be around 150.000km now, had three accidents, three times because of drunk people, not because of rim brakes. Actually there has never even been a dangerous situation because of the brakes... All you can do is make yourself visible, always take your lights with you. That's saver - not disc brakes.
That's like saying you've never been a car accident so you don't need ABS brakes.



.

Wookski
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:51 am

by Wookski

MoPho wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:13 am
Beaver wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:30 pm

No, pros are no benchmark for what to buy - but if they have the choice, and they had last year, they took rim brakes in the mountain stages.
Watch the video of retired pro Phil Gaimon that was posted earlier
I should be around 150.000km now, had three accidents, three times because of drunk people, not because of rim brakes.
This is getting ridiculous- I feel like we are moments away from someone responding with “well that’s not what your mother told me last night.”

Firstly, I love rim brakes but they are inferior in performance- riding in torrential rain on my beautiful 780g AX Lightness tubs I was almost hit by a car when I couldn’t stop at a roundabout. Just completely underestimated the distance required to stop from 40km/h. I’m certain discs would have been a better option. But discs on road bikes are for fatties so I will persist with rim.

GC riders don’t run discs because of logistics/ wheel change issues, not performance.

You don’t need Gaimon to sell the benefits of disc, especially with his reputation for being a terrible descender.

MoPho
Posts: 549
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: NorCal/SoCal

by MoPho

Wookski wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:30 am


This is getting ridiculous- I feel like we are moments away from someone responding with “well that’s not what your mother told me last night.”

Firstly, I love rim brakes but they are inferior in performance- riding in torrential rain on my beautiful 780g AX Lightness tubs I was almost hit by a car when I couldn’t stop at a roundabout. Just completely underestimated the distance required to stop from 40km/h. I’m certain discs would have been a better option. But discs on road bikes are for fatties so I will persist with rim.

GC riders don’t run discs because of logistics/ wheel change issues, not performance.

You don’t need Gaimon to sell the benefits of disc, especially with his reputation for being a terrible descender.
I rode on rim brakes for 25 years, I am not a fattie and I am a very good descender, I enjoy the benefits of disc regardless of weather conditions. I rode a rim brake bike a few months back and pushed it pretty hard down a technical descent, the brakes were very good up until when they weren't.

Being a terrible descender amongst the pro peloton is different from being a terrible descender, I'd bet most people here still couldn't keep up with him. His points are valid regardless

Wookski
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:51 am

by Wookski

MoPho wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:56 am

I rode on rim brakes for 25 years, I am not a fattie and I am a very good descender, I enjoy the benefits of disc regardless of weather conditions. I rode a rim brake bike a few months back and pushed it pretty hard down a technical descent, the brakes were very good up until when they weren't.

Being a terrible descender amongst the pro peloton is different from being a terrible descender, I'd bet most people here still couldn't keep up with him. His points are valid regardless
Why won’t the facepalm emoji work on this forum?

MoPho
Posts: 549
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: NorCal/SoCal

by MoPho

Wookski wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:13 am


Why won’t the facepalm emoji work on this forum?
:roll: Instead of insults, prove me wrong then

Wookski
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:51 am

by Wookski

MoPho wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:22 am
Wookski wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:13 am


Why won’t the facepalm emoji work on this forum?
:roll: Instead of insults, prove me wrong then
No insults I actually agreed with you, hence the facepalm comment

MoPho
Posts: 549
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: NorCal/SoCal

by MoPho

Wookski wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:23 am


No insults I actually agreed with you, hence the facepalm comment
I guess I am not following you then, you claim disc brake bikes are for "fatties" and challenged my point about Phil, so how was I supposed to read it?

Wookski
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:51 am

by Wookski

MoPho wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:26 am
Wookski wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:23 am


No insults I actually agreed with you, hence the facepalm comment
I guess I am not following you then, you claim disc brake bikes are for "fatties" and challenged my point about Phil, so how was I supposed to read it?
The first point was a sarcastic comment made directly after recounting a scenario where disc brakes would have been helpful. The second doesn’t require explaining as it is universally accepted that PG is a jackass.

This thread is so silly, hopefully it gets locked sooner rather than later.

by Weenie


Locked
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post