Odds that we see disc brake only bikes go back to having rim offerings?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

It’s the opposite in tour of alps where 90% of the top 10 are on rimbrakes.
Horses for courses.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Yeah, just watched stage 2 of the Tour of the Alps. That was insane watching the rim brake rider slay the biggest descent in rain and snow with the chaser on discs unable to make up any time. And get dropped. Then obviously Sky and Astana are on rim who went 1 and 2 on the stage.

Clearly what mattered here was skill and fitness.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ome rodriguez wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:56 am
And disc brakes unnecessary...
how would you get the great footage then :noidea: cant be all helocopter
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

MoPho

by MoPho

But how many were on Titanium or Steel bikes?

MoPho

by MoPho

ome rodriguez wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:04 am
Just carbon bikes and good reliable rimbrakes. 😉

Well clearly Titanium and Steel is junk that no one needs because pros don't use it :thumbup:

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Didn’t say that.
Btw, mine is an s-works tarmac sl6 rimbrakes.

MoPho

by MoPho

ome rodriguez wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:11 am
Didn’t say that.
But that's what you (and others) are trying to imply when it comes to which brakes pros use. You can't have it both ways, if pros don't use it, it's not needed.
Pros don't ride metal bikes so perhaps you should jump into all the Ti and Steel threads and tell those folks how the pros don't use that stuff so it's no good. Clincher tires, ditch them! Real pros ride Tubs! Etc..

And btw, some pros are forced to ride specialized bikes, you will never know if they actually like the bike
Last edited by MoPho on Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Because you (and others) are also implying to ditch rim brakes..
Better to have choices, right?!

MoPho

by MoPho

ome rodriguez wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:54 am
Because you (and others) are also implying to ditch rim brakes..
Better to have choices, right?!
No, I have NEVER said or implyed that. I and others have merely countered and/or debunked all the bullshit being posted by the anti-disc crowd, I don't care what you buy.

How many threads have you seen started telling people to ditch rim brakes vs those started whining about disc brakes trying to convince others not to buy them?

And BTW, pro racing IS the big bad marketing boogie man, it exists to convince you to buy stuff just the same as all the other marketing.
Pros also ride in different conditions than we do, what they need or don't need is pretty irrelevent

AW84

by AW84

Everyone quoting sales figures and marketshare statistics as gospel are conveniently sidestepping the fact that choice has been almost entirely stripped away from the consumer. Of course disc brake bikes are outselling rim -- the manufacturers have made it so. There are, in my mind, three types of new road bike consumers:

1) The new riders, who will be swayed not only by salesmen, but by what they see the manufacturers predominantly promoting. They don't have any attachment in either direction and are almost certain to buy the latest technology. Nevermind the fact that their LBS intentionally has no rim bikes on the floor, meaning the buyer a) has no choice and b) is automatically convinced disc must be far superior. This isn't just marketing, but manipulation.

2) The well-off, materalistic, in-vogue types who will buy the latest tech no matter what it is. No need to further explain.

3) Those who find their current rim brake bike perfectly suitable, but want to purchase a new bike. Given the swift transition in the market, they have either made their mind up they want disc brakes, or have reluctantly gone that route because they a) can't buy any of the models they want in rim brake anymore or b) are concerned that rim brake parts may not be available down the road. Personally, I purchased a Tarmac SL6 last spring, before the disc brake option was available. If I were doing it over again, despite my vehement disdain for disc brake bikes, I would be tempted to go the disc route simply because I fear groupset parts and wheels may dry up and render it a piece of art on the wall in a few years. This is a perfect example of how the industry is both strong-arming and, again, manipulating people (who don't even want it) into buying this new standard, for their financial benefit.

Rim brakes sales are being dwarfed because if you can even buy the bike you want in rim brake at all anymore, why would you? The industry has made it clear it isn't going to support you in the future, again, for it's own selfish purposes.

Disc brakes have been highly refined on mountain bikes for how long now? And how many times, before the proliferation of discs on road bikes, did you hear your buddies say, "golly, I sure wish I could get those brakes on my road bike"?

ducman

by ducman

Before you get out for a road ride, how many times you thought: Gosh, i hope i can brake hard/consistant.
How many times you think about not getting dropped uphill?

😁

MoPho

by MoPho

ducman wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:09 am
Before you get out for a road ride, how many times you thought: Gosh, i hope i can brake hard/consistant.
How many times you think about not getting dropped uphill?

😁

I think about it all the time considering I like to do a lot of fast technical descending and have a 4k ft mountain with 356 corners in my backyard. I think about it even more when I get stuck behind a slow car and have to ride my brakes all the way down with less fatique and not worry that I am going to delaminate my rims or blow a tire. I think about it while on another local 40mph descent that has three stop sign intersections in the middle of it. I have thought about disc brakes when I witnessed my buddy crash after his front tire blew off his alloy rim as we had to make an emergency stop from 50mph a number of years ago. I think about it when I realize that I get a lot of joy from the added feel and confidence of better brakes during aggressive descending

And you're a fool if you think your getting dropped on a hill because of your bike or what brakes you have.

AW84 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:09 am

Disc brakes have been highly refined on mountain bikes for how long now? And how many times, before the proliferation of discs on road bikes, did you hear your buddies say, "golly, I sure wish I could get those brakes on my road bike"?

25 times, maybe more... :noidea:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Won a race last week by 30 seconds after attacking at the start of the final descent. Did not get dropped on climb.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com