Odds that we see disc brake only bikes go back to having rim offerings?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattr

by mattr

LiquidCooled wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:00 am
This whole thread is tired old shit again. Again.
I know, i've had enough. I'm out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

welchy

by welchy

Anybody else surprised at lack of disc brakes at Roubaix, I know quicker wheel changes etc but the Roubaix is rim brake offering from new...

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Following tour of alps in eurosport, 8 out of the top 10 gc are on rimbrakes.

packetloss

by packetloss

ome rodriguez wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:02 pm
Following tour of alps in eurosport, 8 out of the top 10 gc are on rimbrakes.
8/10 GC contenders will be on climbing bikes instead of Aero bikes. It's pretty clear Aero is everything and Disc brakes are just a way for the bike industry to force equipment refreshes while throwing out marketing B.S. to justify it all.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

welchy wrote:Anybody else surprised at lack of disc brakes at Roubaix, I know quicker wheel changes etc but the Roubaix is rim brake offering from new...
Huh? Did you watch a different race?

The entire top 5 at Roubaix was on discs. At least 8 of the top 10 were on discs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

welchy

by welchy

I mean, I don't know, but I was there watching it and it appeared 90% of the bikes ridden were rim brake..

LeDuke

by LeDuke

welchy wrote:I mean, I don't know, but I was there watching it and it appeared 90% of the bikes ridden were rim brake..
Given that DQS, EF, Katusha, Trek, CCC, Bora-Hansgrohe, Sunweb, DD and others were all on discs, you might want to recalibrate your estimator.

welchy

by welchy

LeDuke wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:24 pm
welchy wrote:I mean, I don't know, but I was there watching it and it appeared 90% of the bikes ridden were rim brake..
Given that DQS, EF, Katusha, Trek, CCC, Bora-Hansgrohe, Sunweb, DD and others were all on discs, you might want to recalibrate your estimator.

Woah, okay Ranger - i'll make sure I do for fear of you slicing me open with a disc :mrgreen:

When I was I was watching it, what I mean is I was actually there witnessing the race live.

TheRich

by TheRich

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:15 am
Anyone else want to support this claim?
You mean the theory that all bike manufacturers are coordinating to eliminate rim brakes, and that this secret cabal is exerting enough control to prevent anyone from going against the grain and giving the people what they actually want?

Sounds a little far fetched.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TheRich wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:41 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:15 am
Anyone else want to support this claim?
You mean the theory that all bike manufacturers are coordinating to eliminate rim brakes, and that this secret cabal is exerting enough control to prevent anyone from going against the grain and giving the people what they actually want?

Sounds a little far fetched.
for sure that is far fetched... it's more like X and Y are selling disc.. Z better too or get left behind
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

corky

by corky

After press fit bb and ‘standards’ farce I don’t trust the industry to have our best interests at heart.

killerrabbit

by killerrabbit

The industry has been stagnant for a while. Particularly in the road market. The marketing is driving the "exodus" to disc equipped bikes. In some cases - like perhaps living on the side of a mountain, or committed commuters - it's logical. But for a high performance bike, where weight is important.. no.

I've tried and had disc road bikes. Went back to rim. If I go to mountains I'll use my alu rims. For gravel/cx I do prefer discs, though.

DJT21

by DJT21

welchy wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:40 pm
I mean, I don't know, but I was there watching it and it appeared 90% of the bikes ridden were rim brake..
They must've edited the live feed for TV, to make it appear as if the riders were using disc brakes. It's all part of the conspiracy.

fxx

by fxx

DJT21 wrote:
welchy wrote:
They must've edited the live feed for TV, to make it appear as if the riders were using disc brakes. It's all part of the conspiracy.
I believe what welchy meant was that 90 percent of all riders were on rim, but 80 percent of the top 10 were on disc.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

fxx wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:04 am
DJT21 wrote:
welchy wrote:
I believe what welchy meant was that 90 percent of all riders were on rim, but 80 percent of the top 10 were on disc.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I beleive what Duke meant to say is that is all those teams where on disc only.. welchy is blind :beerchug: cheers.. no hard feels :thumbup:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com