First Post - HIA Velo (Allied) Echo

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

coreyaugustus

by coreyaugustus

Been a lurker for some time, but I finally pieced together my latest project and am taking the opporunity to introduce myself and the new toy.

I don't have everything quite as detailed as Frankie B's template, but I'll share what I've documented. The bike came from a stack of discarded Aevolo U23 team bikes on ebay. Everything else was either purchased new or procured from classifieds on Paceline. The goal was a sub-6.8k bike for less than $2400. Parts were individually weighed on a kitchen scale originally bought for homebrewing purposes and the assembled bike was weighed on a Park Tool hanging scale. Cable, headset, and bar tape weights and were estimated figures based on difference from initial aggregated parts weight minus final total assembled weight. Not exactly scientific nor super accurate, but close enough for my needs.

Frame: HIA Velo Echo, 52cm, 889g
Fork: Fibertek, 370g
Top cap: Enve plus bolt, 10g
Spacers: unbranded, 5g
Headset: Cane Creek 40, 117g
Seatpost collar: unbranded, 25g
Shifters: Campagnolo Record 2015, 350g
Front derailleur: Campagnolo Record 2015, 78g
Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Record 2015, 175g
Brakes: Campagnolo Record 2015 dual front/single rear, 291g
Crankset: Campagnolo Record 2015 170mm, 50/43t, 649g
Cables: Campagnolo ultrashift kit, 228g
Bottom bracket: Campagnolo ultra torque OS-Fit integrated BB Cups - 86.5 x 41, 40g
Inline barrel adjuster: Jagwire 4.5mm, 3g
FD clamp: Omni Racer 35mm, 7g
Cassette: Dura-Ace CS-9000 11-28t, 203g
Chain: KMC X11SL, 242g
Pedals: Look Keo 2 Max carbon, 250g
Handlebars: Zipp Contour SL 44cm, 200g
Bar tape: Cinelli gel cork, 58g
Stem: Wren Crazy Lightweight Al 110mm, 100g
Seatpost: Wren 650 Series, 194g
Saddle: Fizik Arione 00, 147g
Wheelset: Dura-Ace WH-9000 C24, 1420g
Skewers: Williams Ultra Light, 59g
Tires: Continental GP4000 II, 438g
Tubes: Continental Race Lite, 146g
Bottle Cage: TOSEEK carbon (with bolts), 114g

More pics here
Attachments
echo7.jpg
echo12.jpg
Last edited by coreyaugustus on Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Wow - this is awesome. A shop in my area works with Allied and one of the guys who rides with us got himself an Alfa last spring. They're really nice bikes.

Props to you for scoring one on the cheap, I wish I'd seen that.

coreyaugustus

by coreyaugustus

jbaillie wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:59 pm
Wow - this is awesome. A shop in my area works with Allied and one of the guys who rides with us got himself an Alfa last spring. They're really nice bikes.

Props to you for scoring one on the cheap, I wish I'd seen that.
I've been happy with it so far. It's my first carbon bike, actually. Normally I prefer steel just for style, but it's been fun getting used to something so light.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Just noticed the Shimano decal on the chainstay. Any chance it's over the clearcoat and can just be wiped off w/ nailpolish remover?
Because... ya know... Campy and all.

coreyaugustus

by coreyaugustus

jbaillie wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:33 pm
Just noticed the Shimano decal on the chainstay. Any chance it's over the clearcoat and can just be wiped off w/ nailpolish remover?
Because... ya know... Campy and all.
Nope. Clear is on top. But since it’s kind of a mutt with the Dura-Ace wheels, it doesn’t bother me that much. The paint is pretty roughed up in places anyway, being a former race machine, so it’s definitely a tool to me rather than a garage queen. Looks good from a distance is all.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

nice. dura ace wh c24 tu would imo look even a little better (and save a few gram!)

coreyaugustus

by coreyaugustus

reedplayer wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:00 pm
nice. dura ace wh c24 tu would imo look even a little better (and save a few gram!)
I'm thinking about making the transition over to at least one set of tubular wheels. Perhaps for perfect day rides at least. I just popped a tube coming back home from the gym the other day and it made me wonder about which is actually better.

I'll read up on the "making the switch to tubular" thread that's in the Road forum, but if you've got recommendations on which ones you prefer, I'm all ears. Sub-$700 used or $1100 new is my target price range.

Honestly--and this may be heresy around these parts--6.7kg is plenty light for me. I usually ride my steel Colnago which is definitely not WW approved, so when I jump onto the Echo, it feels like nothing's under me by comparison.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

the wh 9000 c-24 wheelset you have is really good, as well as the weight of 6,7 kg.
the wh 9000 c-24 tu would imo look better first way, because it has carbon braking surface instead of alunimium.
but concerning perfomance, fo shure it would make no noticeable difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com