S-Works Roubaix 2019 (2020) ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Karvalo

by Karvalo

kytyree wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:07 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:14 pm
The 56 has a stack of 585.
Looking on their site I see a different stack depending on which version you look at. Spec show the Sagan 56 at 585, the Pro 56 at 605, the DA Di2 version also at 605.
Fair enough. That is crazy high, especially when you consider it ships with a hover bar and you can't slam the stem because you got a coupls of cm of spring beneath it.

Makes it more bizarre that the marketing is all about going back to the racing roots and making it more like a softer Tarmac.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The S-Works comes in both the “pro” fit and the “regular” fit in the middle sizes. It seems that Specialized’s web team needs to do a better job of conveying this. I wouldn’t be surprised if the “regular” version of the 56cm is indeed 585mm and the 605mm is a mistake. The “pro” version should be much more aggressive than 585mm.

Specialized have also stated that the new Roubaix is more aggressive than the previous one, which had a stack of 611mm in 56cm.

e: It looks like the 605mm is correct. The web copy is missing sizes and the table is messed up.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wrenegade

by wrenegade

The pro geometry bikes look pretty sick. I'd love to have a 53. In S-works guise it's at least $2k (CAD) cheaper than a H1 fit Domane, but its still $14k. That price is insane to me but thats unfortunately par for the course these days. Maybe I'll try and grab one used in a couple years if the futureshock hasn't fallen apart.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Yes there is a "pro" version but it only comes in 3 sizes and will they actually be available and at what price?

I don't have a problem if a manufacturer believes that there is a market for a size 56 with a stack of 605mm. Totally OK. What bothers me is the insuation that they are "going back to racing routes", or "more aggressive gemetry" and then serve up a 19 pound bus to the masses. I just don't dig the incenserity of Specialized. It's been a bit of a theme for them.

Next year they will announce that this approach is all wrong and they will bring back the Cobble Gobble (f-me that is a stupid thing), no future shock because they claim a bike can be compliant without mechanical suspension and proudly trumpet the resulting massive weight reduction of 10 grams, and women's specific designs with pretty pink graphics.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

ichobi wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:47 pm
Didn't specialized abandon the whole men vs women geometry since the launch of Tarmac SL6? They use the same frame and canceled the Amira.
Correct. :up:
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

spdntrxi wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:09 pm
my buddy is going be so pissed... he got a roubaix like 6 months ago and a diverge 2 weeks ok.

He asks for my advice when I ran into him at the LBS (6months ago)... I told him just get a Diverge now... ride it through the winter and see if a new Roubaix comes out in spring. Tarmac and venge are too racy for him.
ouch, maybe they can retrofit the futureshock 2

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

my LBS pretty much had everything except S-Works and AXS groupset bikes.. these bikes are very clean looking in the flesh.. Tarmac with futureshock basically. The higher end models have futureshock dial to lock it out, which is a nice touch. If I was in the market for endurance bike I'd definately look here.

The bikes have a Rapha-ish appearance.... fork has arm band of right (instead of left) and you have 2 stripes on the rear of the frame like Rapha 2 stripes (or RCC 4)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

thePrince

by thePrince

Sock3t wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:29 pm
The Force etap bike is $2600 more than the UDI2 bike.

Let that sink in.
Did you even bother to compare specs or just assume the only difference was the group? Wheels, bars, saddle are all upgraded.

Ultegra 8070 is 2 years old and Force Etap is not even 2 weeks old. So yes there will be a premium there.

And Di2 has a wired cable, which is more prone to failure. Do I want to wire the entire shifting system, with failure points at each junciton and subject to higher failure during a crash...or a wireless sytem that removes all of that complexity? Ask Sagan recently. And many of the other pros who have experienced this with Di2 and just switch to a different bike from the team. I don't have that.

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

ChiZ01 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:09 am
spdntrxi wrote:
my buddy is going be so pissed... he got a roubaix like 6 months ago and a diverge 2 weeks ok.

He asks for my advice when I ran into him at the LBS (6months ago)... I told him just get a Diverge now... ride it through the winter and see if a new Roubaix comes out in spring. Tarmac and venge are too racy for him.
Not possible.

And I am not seeing the link to any Rapha type designs :noidea:

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

MarkTwain wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:49 am
ChiZ01 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:09 am
spdntrxi wrote:

Not possible.

it's not on the highest end... but imagine a little.. look at the white bike on spesh website.. see the 2 lines on seattube.. the band on the fork ? that band is only on one side.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

thePrince wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:33 am

Did you even bother to compare specs or just assume the only difference was the group? Wheels, bars, saddle are all upgraded.

Also the Comp level bike only has FutureShock 1.5 whereas the Pro level bike has the 2.0 damper.

MarkTwain wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:49 am

I guess he means the Expert and Comp level bikes with basic striping. It's a stretch to call that Rapha-esque.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

$2900 MSRP for 105 hydro is decent considering other manufacturers charging more for frameset only

1llum4

by 1llum4

There is 4 frame for the new roubaix: the regular S-Works framein 11r with future shock 2.0, the team S-works frame with lower stack in 11r with futureshock 2.0, the Pro/expert frame in 10r with future shock 2.0 and the Comp/Sport frame in 10r with futureshock 1.5.

The futureshock version are not interchangeable between frames. Not possible to put a futureshock 2.0 or 1.5 in older SL6 roubaix or diverge frame and not possible to put futureshock 2.0 in Comp/Sport roubaix ''SL7'' 2020 frame.

The futureshock 2.0 comes with a closed oil circuit to control compression/rebound speed. Specialized recommend to service it every 500hrs but IMO unless it's not working, I wouldn't touch the oil circuit. Unlike a MTB fork or dropper post, the futureshock 2.0 is completly sealed from the elements so much less chance of getting dirt in the oil.

The futureshock 1.5 ditch the closed oil circuit for a simpler top-out and bottom out rubber bumper like most air fork and coil shock have. They are simple, don't wear out and should never need servicing.

I never heard about a single futureshock 1.0 breaking. The recall was on the steerer collar that hold the fork and the futureshock 1.0 together. This collar could rust under heavy salt contamination (someone zwifting 5+ days a week every week or living in a very salty environnement) and break leading to no more preload on the fork bearing and nothing holding the fork in the bike. That is the part that is being recalled and switched free of charge for a new version that won't rust and crack under heavy salt contamination. There has been only 1 case reported in the USA (in this case the person was zwifting 5+ days/week) of the old collar breaking and none in Canada to my knowledge.

All version of the futureshock uses the same system for headset bearing preload with a 2mm hex bolt setting the preload and 2.5mm hex bolt used to lock in place the 2mm hex bolt. If the 2.5mm hex bolt is not properly tightened, this can lead to the 2mm hex bolt loosening up and introducing play in the headset.

It seems like Canada is only getting the S-Works Dura-Ace, S-Works Red AXS and Pro Force AXS version for now and probably the rest of the range in the autumn.

Also forgot one thing. as with the Tarmac SL6 launch, when Spec say the new Tarmac and Roubaix are faster than old venge, they are talking about the first generation Venge before the Vias. The Vias is not too far behind the 3rd gen Venge and should still be faster in terms of aero drag compared to the SL6 Tarmac and SL7 Roubaix

oldmac

by oldmac

thePrince wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:33 am
Sock3t wrote:

Let that sink in.

Ultegra 8070 is 2 years old and Force Etap is not even 2 weeks old. So yes there will be a premium there.

And Di2 has a wired cable, which is more prone to failure. Do I want to wire the entire shifting system, with failure points at each junciton and subject to higher failure during a crash...or a wireless sytem that removes all of that complexity? Ask Sagan recently. And many of the other pros who have experienced this with Di2 and just switch to a different bike from the team. I don't have that.
Not just the groupset and wheels,the most important difference is the Future Shock2.0,the new Future Shock2.0 is the soul of this new Roubaix,the Roubaix Comp UT Di2 has only Future Shock1.5……Without the Future Shock2.0,I have no interest on this bike.
By the way, the size 44 and 49 looks too slope.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

thePrince wrote:
Sock3t wrote:

Let that sink in.

Wires are no more prone to failure than etap but keep on with that bandwagon lol

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com