S-Works Roubaix 2019 (2020) ?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
AW84

by AW84

I'm going to sound like an old man who spends his day yelling at kids to get off his lawn for a second here, but....

I love everything I own that's made by Specialized, but their marketing department is the worst. Every new bike is "more aerodynamic" and more this-or-that than everything before it, even though it plain-as-day defies everything they claimed was so aero or uber-stiff or whatever previously. The Venge Vias had the deepest, pointiest tubes, the brake calipers were hidden, the cables hidden, and a goofy aero stem. The Tarmac and this bike have none of that, and also have disc brakes calipers and rotors hanging out in the wind, and yet they claim it's more aerodynamic.

Just shoot us straight: say "this bike isn't going to make you any faster, but it looks really cool and your fellas at the group ride are going to dig it. Buy it."

A fool and their money are easily parted.

by Weenie

fizzaz

by fizzaz

AW84 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:26 pm

Just shoot us straight: say "this bike isn't going to make you any faster, but it looks really cool and your fellas at the group ride are going to dig it. Buy it."
Well no, but what they could just tell us is there is absolutely no reason to buy a Tarmac anymore.

ichobi

by ichobi

fizzaz wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:44 pm
AW84 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:26 pm

Well no, but what they could just tell us is there is absolutely no reason to buy a Tarmac anymore.
Not really. It's a lot heavier than the tarmac. The frame may weight <900g but the damper on the fork adds 175g, not included the fork weight. Plus it uses 'lower grade' carbon. (11r vs 12r). It's never going to be as light as the Tarmac (if that what's you cares about).

Shrike

by Shrike

It is a rather bold claim though considering the Tarmac tested really well in Tour. Doubt Tour will test the Roubaix so I guess we’ll never know.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

A good looking bike no doubt. I still can't get onboard with the idea of building suspension into a road bike where clever design of a "solid" frame and tire choice could accomplish the same thing. Wasn't the last future shock (that many just hated) supposed to be the greatest thing? It got recalled and now replaced by different technology (that is supposed to be the greatest thing). Lasted barely a year? Of course you still get the old tech if you don't buy SWorks level.

If everthing in the new version works as promised, than it sounds like a great bike. But the Cycling Tips reviewer had problems with the new future shock coming loose and the rubber covers coming out of the frame. If this is what happens on day one, what can the owner expect after 5 or 10 years. Those rubber covers will be dust after just a few year of exposure to sunlight. (Of course Specialized had the familiar excuses for these failures - pre-production, extra nut needed, blah, blah, blah.)

And then there is the geometry. I can only speak to my size - 56. Reach 385mm, Stack 605. Who exactly is this bike for? I am an old man with crumbling spinal column and I could not ride this bike. With reach in the 385 - 395 range, aggressive stack would be 565. 590mm of stack is still very conservative and common to many endurance frames. 590 stack can be built up with spacers if someone has a physical issue. 605 is a super high front end. 605 is driving a bus.

And then there is this:
"Using data from years of global Retul fitting services, Specialized has come to the conclusion that there’s no clear link that defines male versus female body types. And with that, gone are the gender-specific models, formerly the Roubaix and Ruby for men and women respectively."

So after many years of insulting female athletes with feminine colours and girlie girl names on smaller sizes, the same phoney reasoning (research) that arrived at "different" frames, is used to come the opposite conclusion - frame should be the same. This is the same as saying "last year we had no ability to measure women and this year we do". What total BS. Methinks the marketing team discovered that women have long ago moved on from the traditional appeal of fashion over performance and take themselves seriously at athletes. And think of the savings with fewer sku's.

I am a proponent of good marketing, but this company continues to reak of insincerity. It makes it hard to like the brand. (Couldn't live without my SWorks shoes though :evil: )
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

AW84

by AW84

Shrike wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:39 pm
It is a rather bold claim though considering the Tarmac tested really well in Tour. Doubt Tour will test the Roubaix so I guess we’ll never know.
I'm sure reviewers and buyers will find the Roubaix very comfortable and practical, but there's no way they can prove it's faster. I would bet a limb that if you stick a complete rim-brake Vias or Tarmac SL6 next to this bike in a wind tunnel, those two bikes will win. Most certainly nothing that any human being is ever going to be able to percieve on the road, but a win nonetheless.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:48 pm
And then there is the geometry. I can only speak to my size - 56. Reach 385mm, Stack 605. Who exactly is this bike for? I am an old man with crumbling spinal column and I could not ride this bike. With reach in the 385 - 395 range, aggressive stack would be 565. 590mm of stack is still very conservative and common to many endurance frames. 590 stack can be built up with spacers if someone has a physical issue. 605 is a super high front end. 605 is driving a bus.
Edit: I am a lemon.
Last edited by Karvalo on Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

The Force etap bike is $2600 more than the UDI2 bike.

Let that sink in.

bespoke

by bespoke

I think it looks mint, Spez are on a tear right now - Tarmac, Venge and now this
I had a Trek Koppenberg and loved it
The team frame is available to us mortals in Sept and I will get one - looks amazing

The 2.0 shock looks very clever; I can see it being a huge boon in gravel bikes. All this new tech is exciting for us riders..
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Sock3t wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:29 pm
The Force etap bike is $2600 more than the UDI2 bike.

Let that sink in.
It's a siginficantly better overall spec.

ichobi

by ichobi

Didn't specialized abandon the whole men vs women geometry since the launch of Tarmac SL6? They use the same frame and canceled the Amira.

kytyree

by kytyree

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:14 pm
The 56 has a stack of 585.
Looking on their site I see a different stack depending on which version you look at. Spec show the Sagan 56 at 585, the Pro 56 at 605, the DA Di2 version also at 605.

The Cycylingtips article also references 605 for a 56.

The lower numbers seem doable, possibly higher than I'd like for a 54 but I'd have to try it. The higher stack numbers seem too high to me, as Mr Gib was saying, at least going off how I have my stuff setup.

I've got my gravel bike taller and I like it but I don't think I'd want a road bike quite that tall.

DeeHubbs

by DeeHubbs

Karvalo wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:
That's the stack of the 58 you lemon! :lol: The 56 has a stack of 585.
Who's the lemon? Actually the S-Works in a 56 is 376/585, and the Pro/Expert/Comp in a 56 is 384/605

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

DeeHubbs wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:15 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:
Who's the lemon? Actually the S-Works in a 56 is 376/585, and the Pro/Expert/Comp in a 56 is 384/605
that's sour

by Weenie

Karvalo

by Karvalo

DeeHubbs wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:15 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:
Humblest apologies to all.
Last edited by Karvalo on Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.