Garmin or Bryton??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wfcarrot

by wfcarrot

alcatraz wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:10 am
I have a 520 and I'd like to "upgrade" to a 130. Smaller, power efficient, lighter. All I need. Check it out.
Agree, I don't need those fancy function either.
2018 Sworks Tarmac SL6 - 7.2kg
2017 Colnago C60 - 6.29kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

wfcarrot wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:38 am
alcatraz wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:10 am
I have a 520 and I'd like to "upgrade" to a 130. Smaller, power efficient, lighter. All I need. Check it out.
Agree, I don't need those fancy function either.
Just be aware that the 130 won't give you l/r power, nor TSS/IF/NP if that is something you need. If it had those, I'd upgrade my trusty Edge 500.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

For me a GPS is like this. I pin down an address, i am at A and wish to go to B.
I ride towards B, but decide i want to go straight forwards when the GPS says, go left.
If i keep insisting on going forward, the GPS should reroute me another way if it notice i am quite far off.

I have zero interest of fiddling with my phone or download routes that i have made myself, and obviously am forced to integrate into the GPS.
That's not how i see a GPS.

To me it seems neither Edge 520 Plus or any Bryton unit works like this?
Is this a correct assumption?
If it is, they both have proved one thing!
They are not working they way i really buy a GPS for.
So, i have no use for them.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

zefs

by zefs

I think you need the Garming Edge 1030 or something from Mio Cyclo series or Sigma Rox 12 then that offer full gps/mapping functionality on the go.

talltales

by talltales

zefs wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:00 pm
I think you need the Garming Edge 1030 or something from Mio Cyclo series or Sigma Rox 12 then that offer full gps/mapping functionality on the go.
Or a phone mounted on the bar. Just be aware some routing software may think you are a car and lead you down dangerous roads or even no cycling roads, if such exist in your country. I have used komoot on the phone. It has optional re-routing. An other option for finding your way, is audio based navigation and an earpiece.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

zefs wrote:
It seems like Mio Cyclo is a great device, a bit heavy though!
One thing that puzzles me is a question someone asked on Amazon.
Question was, if you can pin down where you are and want to go.
Answer was NO!?

If that is correct, my question still remains. Why do you buy a GPS with tons of crap, but not a typical GPS device.
I fail to see why anyone would be OK to hassle with the phone or create routes and then download.
That is not how a GPS should work!

If these devices mainly record your routes or you have to do all work yourself, then they're worthless.
That's not a true GPS as far as i see it.

10 years ago i borrowed a cheap car GPS, i pin down where i wanted to go and then i used the GPS.
It was clearly showing me right on. No idiotic phone or PC needed to be used.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

talltales

by talltales

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:53 pm
zefs wrote:
It seems like Mio Cyclo is a great device, a bit heavy though!
One thing that puzzles me is a question someone asked on Amazon.
Question was, if you can pin down where you are and want to go.
Answer was NO!?

If that is correct, my question still remains. Why do you buy a GPS with tons of crap, but not a typical GPS device.
I fail to see why anyone would be OK to hassle with the phone or create routes and then download.
That is not how a GPS should work!

If these devices mainly record your routes or you have to do all work yourself, then they're worthless.
That's not a true GPS as far as i see it.

10 years ago i borrowed a cheap car GPS, i pin down where i wanted to go and then i used the GPS.
It was clearly showing me right on. No idiotic phone or PC needed to be used.
Why do you think a phone is a hassle or idiotic? If anything it wipes the floor with bike computers regarding navigation. Its no worse than a car GPS.

jpshorts

by jpshorts

Could be worth waiting for the new Wahoo Elemnt roam
Think it's rumoured to be at sea otter

AJS914

by AJS914

Why do you buy a GPS with tons of crap, but not a typical GPS device.
A typical GPS device is designed to be plugged in. If you want those kinds of features on a bike you buy a Garmin 820 or 1030 or other unit that has turn by turn routing and an address database.

Most cyclists though don't ride like that. They ride in a 25 mile radius from their house where they know the roads.

dim

by dim

I'm using the Garmin Edge 1000

takes me where I want to go, I can enter an address or postcode and it will take me there, if I take a wrong turn, Im alerted and can backtrack or continue rideing and it will recalcuclate (like a car GPS)

it connects to my sensors, powermeter etc and works ok most times... lots of other features such as live segments (I've only recently started using this feature and have many new PR's on some strava segments)

the problem, is that when there is a software problem, Garmin releses a new version of software which fixes the problem, but other problems often are encountered, so it's a continual software update every few weeks (you need to keep checking the official Garmin forum for new releases)

main problems that I've encountered from time to tme with the 1000 is that on a few occasions it does not tell me which way to turn at an intersection .... however, if I take a wrong turn, Im notifies with an angry beep

I use ridewithgps to plan my routes and I think that many of the problems on intersections stems from the fact that I may have plotted my route using the control points too close to the intersection

to be on the safe side, especially on an Audax ride or sportive stc, I have my old faithfull Garmin Edge 500 as an additional GPS at the same time as I use the Edge 1000

the Edge 500 works flawless, has a very long battery life and although it is 'breadcrumb' routing, I know when to turn. so if you want a simple GPS that can record all your stats (speed, powermeter, etc for strava, and want something cheap, get a used Garmin Edge 500

If you want someting a bit more sophisticated, get the Garmin Edge 1030 ... i will stick with Garmin .... all the other makers have problems (none work flawlessly)
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

seaneT1

by seaneT1

As I said before, I had the bryton 330, really liked it, I was actually impressed by it, but wanted more. Was about to buy either the aero 60 or the 430, but for some stupid reason, I went with the wahoo elmnt bolt instead...kinda regret it, so I would totally recommend going with Bryton...

gregslo

by gregslo

seaneT1 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:15 pm
As I said before, I had the bryton 330, really liked it, I was actually impressed by it, but wanted more. Was about to buy either the aero 60 or the 430, but for some stupid reason, I went with the wahoo elmnt bolt instead...kinda regret it, so I would totally recommend going with Bryton...
Yep I regret I bought wahoo elemnt. Not worth the money. I mean navigation is ok if you buy komoot subscription. But thats about it. I miss simplicity and reliability of my bryton.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Got my Aero 60T today. Also got Bryton online, today.
These units doesn't have reroute feature and they will not have by update.
You can't pin down an address expecting the GPS will lead you. So i sent mine in return right away.
Perhaps Mio is a better choice or just skip it. Hm.....
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

zefs

by zefs

There are video comparisons on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +edge+1030

robertbb

by robertbb

I'm considering a Bryton 410 to replace my Edge 500. Seems basically equivalent, but with GPS/GLONASS which will help in the mountains.

Can't seem to find much in the way of reviews though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com