Drivetrain clicking/twitching

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If your chain is worn, even in one spot you'll be wearing down your drivetrain.

If the chainwear tool indicates >0.75mm in any place in the chain then replace the chain regardless of noise.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StanK

by StanK

alcatraz wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:38 am
If your chain is worn, even in one spot you'll be wearing down your drivetrain.
Well, that is exactly what bothers me. Obviously, qicklink is streched more than other links, that's the problem.
alcatraz wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:38 am
If the chainwear tool indicates >0.75mm in any place in the chain then replace the chain regardless of noise.
I know that. I would actually replace it on > 0.50mm, as it is now, when it is measured with part of the chain where quicklink is included.

wilwil

by wilwil

You must try this: put grease in between the mech hanger and the frame. Especially if it is a BMC frame with a mech hanger that sandwiches the frame drop out.

StanK

by StanK

I think that may help with some eventual creaking. This clicking/twitching is different type of sound.
But, if eventual change of chain wouldn't help, I will do that greasing. It's easier than disassemble freehub or something similar :)

Greatestalltime

by Greatestalltime

Had a very similar issue after changing to a new Chain. Changed wheels. And it was still there. Switched chains and it’s gone. Both Were Dura Ace xtr chains.

StanK

by StanK

Both with quicklink?

wilwil

by wilwil

StanK wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:03 pm
I think that may help with some eventual creaking. This clicking/twitching is different type of sound.
But, if eventual change of chain wouldn't help, I will do that greasing. It's easier than disassemble freehub or something similar :)
No the mech hanger frame interface can make a clicking sound

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

A Shimano quick link doesn't click (who knows, perhaps you got the click-link).
Joke aside... It's not one bit worse than the standard pin.
When you mount the quick link you can use a bit of grease to make it snap on smoothly.
Then dry it off before you apply chain sauce.
Sure it's not the valve stem making a noise when you ride?
I use to fix my front valve (sometimes rear to) with electrical tape, for the sake of not getting annoyed of the sound it makes!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

StanK

by StanK

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:51 pm
... Sure it's not the valve stem making a noise when you ride?
I use to fix my front valve (sometimes rear to) with electrical tape, for the sake of not getting annoyed of the sound it makes!
Like I said, it's more like twitching, actually. It's a sound, but also it's something I can feel under my feet, so I think it's somewhere in the drivetrain.

StanK

by StanK

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:51 pm
A Shimano quick link doesn't click (who knows, perhaps you got the click-link).
Joke aside... It's not one bit worse than the standard pin.
Because everyone makes it that way, I believe it is.
But, when you put it for the first time in 30 years on road bike, and you have problem after 500 km with it ... thanks but no thanks. I don't have will for another try. I will stick with Shimano pin, put Dura Ace on, that's already decided.

StanK

by StanK

wilwil wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:46 pm
You must try this: put grease in between the mech hanger and the frame. Especially if it is a BMC frame with a mech hanger that sandwiches the frame drop out.
I tried this, after all. I didn't have much of a hope but, surprisingly, twitching (actually, it's more twitching than clicking :) but never mind) is reduced by some 70-80%. It's still there, same intensity when occur, but pop up considerably less frequently. I had to put +20km today to be sure that is still there.
Btw. hanger is "BMC type", it sandwiches frame drop out

Truth to be told, few days ago I had some brief "episode" with my real LBS, but long story short, problematic chain was taken off bike, and then put back on. I don't know, maybe that has some effect on "curing" problem, maybe not at all, but just to mention.
So, wilwil, thanks for suggestion, it helped :thumbup:

Btw. that stretched quick link ... How much damage can do it? It's stretched more than 0,5 but it's not near 0,75. Should I be in hurry to replace a chain, or one little bit stretched link couldn't do some damage in a month or two?

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

wilwil wrote:
Wow this isnt something I would have thought of as normally you just check the fasteners are tight for hanger and dropouts. Is this an issue that BMC has with some frames wilwil. This makes me think that there is not a good fit between hanger and frame where it fastens.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

StanK

by StanK

On my bike fit is good, there is no rocking on dropouts even without fasteners. And fasteners was firm before I taked hanger down.
But it helped put the grease on both sides of the dropout. Again, if that "episode" with chain (at LBS) did not help in some way.

wilwil

by wilwil

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:38 pm
wilwil wrote:
Wow this isnt something I would have thought of as normally you just check the fasteners are tight for hanger and dropouts. Is this an issue that BMC has with some frames wilwil. This makes me think that there is not a good fit between hanger and frame where it fastens.
I was asked to cure a BMC of this clicking noise. The owner swore it was the BB so I replaced the Sram BB. No change. It even clicked on the workstand although not as loudly. It was only by looking and listening really closely while turning the cranks on the workstand that I could see where the noise was coming from. I now always put grease on the hanger interface no matter what kind of hanger it is. Carbon frames and wheels act as sound boxes and amplify the sound of these kind of minor movements. This BMC frame was particlarly acoustically lively.
Im not sure any frame has a 100% 'perfect fit' between hanger and frame they always look somewhat approximate.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StanK

by StanK

Few days ago PYC 1101 chain was replaced with Dura Ace and ... All clicking and twitching disappeared.
So, in future, only Dura Ace for me, I think. With a pin, not quick-link. Yes, I know, quick-link shouldn't be a problem, but I don't want experiment with it anymore.

Maybe I just try PYC with Shimano pin, if that will work. It seems, at least for now, that PYC has less friction (and maybe I just need lubricate DA little bit more, we will see), 32g is lighter and it's better looking :D A little bit louder, but nothing major. I will miss it, if it does not work with Shimano pin, which means it will be binned.