Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
rides4beer
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:27 am
Location: SC

by rides4beer

northshore wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:14 pm
I'm looking to get my first set of deep carbon wheels for a new disc road bike build. Trying to decide between Farsports FSL58CM-28T-DSLT And Lightbicycle WR46C02. Both are 28 external, 21 internal - the farsports being deeper, u-shaped and asymmetrical. Any opinions between the manufacturers?

It's also a budget build, so will be going with Novatec 411/412 hubs with pillar spokes. Or is this a bad idea, and I should just go for dt350 with sapims?
I have no experience with Farsports, but my experiences with Light Bicycle have been fantastic!! I have the WR46C02s, got them with the Novatec hubs, but they crapped out on me after only about 350 miles. LB is replacing them with DT350s for just the cost difference. Next set I'll go with DT to start with. From everything I'm reading now, they're pretty bulletproof, and the star ratchet upgrade is super easy if you want more engagement (also makes for very easy maintenance).

Also, the 23mm GP4KS2s are a perfect fit on these wheels. The 25mm GP5Ks ended up stretching a lil wider than 28mm (if you're looking to stay in the 105% rule).
Attachments
bike.JPG

petosagan
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:06 pm

by petosagan


rides4beer wrote:[

Also, the 23mm GP4KS2s are a perfect fit on these wheels. The 25mm GP5Ks ended up stretching a lil wider than 28mm (if you're looking to stay in the 105% rule).
Eh.. what is the 105% rule?

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk


by Weenie


rides4beer
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:27 am
Location: SC

by rides4beer

petosagan wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:23 pm
Eh.. what is the 105% rule?

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk
For optimal aerodynamics, the rim width should be 105% of the tire width (measured, not what the label says). Basically you want the rim to be a lil wider than the tire, helps with airflow attachment. My 25mm GP5Ks ended up at 28.2mm after stretching, the 23mm GP4KS2s were 26.1mm new, haven't measured them again (I will when I get the wheels back and get them mounted back up), but hopefully will still be under 27mm after some stretching.

https://silca.cc/blogs/journal/part-5-t ... rodynamics

pkaro
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:40 pm

by pkaro

Very int
rides4beer wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:44 pm
petosagan wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:23 pm
Eh.. what is the 105% rule?

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk
For optimal aerodynamics, the rim width should be 105% of the tire width (measured, not what the label says). Basically you want the rim to be a lil wider than the tire, helps with airflow attachment. My 25mm GP5Ks ended up at 28.2mm after stretching, the 23mm GP4KS2s were 26.1mm new, haven't measured them again (I will when I get the wheels back and get them mounted back up), but hopefully will still be under 27mm after some stretching.

https://silca.cc/blogs/journal/part-5-t ... rodynamics
Thanks for the measurements. I have some further questions regarding those two tires: How does the comfort between the 25 and 23 compare as mounted on those rims? Do you notice any difference in vibrations or general fatigue onset? And does rolling resistance suffer?

User avatar
Beaver
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:06 pm
Location: Lower Saxony - Germany

by Beaver

pkaro wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:50 pm
Thanks for the measurements. I have some further questions regarding those two tires: How does the comfort between the 25 and 23 compare as mounted on those rims? Do you notice any difference in vibrations or general fatigue onset? And does rolling resistance suffer?
Comfort is mainly determined by tire pressure. With more volume you can reduce it without the risk of pinch flats and the ride will be more comfortable. Which tire width is needed, is determined by the rider weight. A 50kg woman can be fine with 23mm, a 100kg man will need 28mm.

Rolling resistance: The wider tire will have less, but only with SAME pressure. Nobody does this, as the ride would be harsher (same pressure+more volume=harder tire). So you won't really notice a difference on smooth roads, but the lower pressure will reduce rolling resistance a lot on bad surfaces:

Image
https://blog.silca.cc/part-4b-rolling-r ... -impedance

rides4beer
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:27 am
Location: SC

by rides4beer

pkaro wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:50 pm
Thanks for the measurements. I have some further questions regarding those two tires: How does the comfort between the 25 and 23 compare as mounted on those rims? Do you notice any difference in vibrations or general fatigue onset? And does rolling resistance suffer?
As mentioned, I was able to run a little less pressure in the 25's, so they were a bit more comfortable. I'm 83kg, so I run more pressure in the 23's to prevent pinch flats, still comfortable, but not what I would call a cushy ride.

pkaro
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:40 pm

by pkaro

rides4beer wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:01 pm
pkaro wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:50 pm
Thanks for the measurements. I have some further questions regarding those two tires: How does the comfort between the 25 and 23 compare as mounted on those rims? Do you notice any difference in vibrations or general fatigue onset? And does rolling resistance suffer?
As mentioned, I was able to run a little less pressure in the 25's, so they were a bit more comfortable. I'm 83kg, so I run more pressure in the 23's to prevent pinch flats, still comfortable, but not what I would call a cushy ride.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm a similar weight so your advice is very useful.

I came across some second-hand Mavic Comete pro Carbon Exalith wheels (alu brake track, carbon fairing, 17m internal 26 external and 64 deep) for a song, so I'll try those out for now (with my aeroad in katusha livery it will fit the look perfectly) but if they make handling funny or anything I'll refer back to this thread.

ongbenghui
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:16 am

by ongbenghui

Anyone run tubeless on those wheels that doesn't need rim tape ?

MAJ
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:33 pm

by MAJ

kyleFu wrote:Farsports new Road disc brake rims / wheels.

40mm deep * 30mm wide rim, 410g / pc +/-15, Hookless + Tubeless.

30mm deep * 28mm wide rim, 390g / pc +/-15g, Tubeless.
35mm deep * 28mm wide rim, 410g / pc +/-15g, Tubeless.
45mm deep * 28mm wide rim, 440g / pc +/-15g, Tubeless.
58mm deep * 28mm wide rim, 460g / pc +/-15g, Tubeless.

35mm deep * 26mm wide rim, 400g / pc +/-15g, Tubeless.
45mm deep * 26mm wide rim, 430g / pc +/-15g, Tubeless.

Wider profile + Ultralight
Interesting rims with good weight.
First option hookless is ok for road or for CX.

I'm searching for light rims.
Where can I find sets with these rims??

A good light option could be:

35mm deep * 26mm wide rim, 400g / pc +/-15g, Tubeless.

What do you recommend me?

knightskid
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:39 am
Location: Singapore

by knightskid

rides4beer wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:07 pm
northshore wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:14 pm
I'm looking to get my first set of deep carbon wheels for a new disc road bike build. Trying to decide between Farsports FSL58CM-28T-DSLT And Lightbicycle WR46C02. Both are 28 external, 21 internal - the farsports being deeper, u-shaped and asymmetrical. Any opinions between the manufacturers?

It's also a budget build, so will be going with Novatec 411/412 hubs with pillar spokes. Or is this a bad idea, and I should just go for dt350 with sapims?
I have no experience with Farsports, but my experiences with Light Bicycle have been fantastic!! I have the WR46C02s, got them with the Novatec hubs, but they crapped out on me after only about 350 miles. LB is replacing them with DT350s for just the cost difference. Next set I'll go with DT to start with. From everything I'm reading now, they're pretty bulletproof, and the star ratchet upgrade is super easy if you want more engagement (also makes for very easy maintenance).

Also, the 23mm GP4KS2s are a perfect fit on these wheels. The 25mm GP5Ks ended up stretching a lil wider than 28mm (if you're looking to stay in the 105% rule).
Looking at Lightbicycle website for this wheel, isn’t it stated is for disc brake based on the title? But you set it up as rim brake.

rides4beer
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:27 am
Location: SC

by rides4beer

knightskid wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:15 pm
Looking at Lightbicycle website for this wheel, isn’t it stated is for disc brake based on the title? But you set it up as rim brake.
Yup, they have it listed as a disc brake wheel, but you can get it for rim brake, just let them know when you're placing the order. I also got the grooved graphene brake track for an extra $30, no braking issues at all with Swissstop Black Prince pads.

ooo
Posts: 806
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 12:59 pm

by ooo

kyleFu wrote:Farsports new Road disc brake rims / wheels.

40mm deep * 30mm wide rim, 410g / pc +/-15, Hookless + Tubeless.

30mm deep * 28mm wide rim, 390g / pc +/-15g, Tubeless.
45mm deep * 28mm wide rim, 440g / pc +/-15g, Tubeless.
These are still heavy comparing to clones of enve hookless rims:

28x28mm hookless 305g
30x30mm hookless 315g

Image Image
'

MAJ
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:33 pm

by MAJ

ooo wrote:
kyleFu wrote:Farsports new Road disc brake rims / wheels.

40mm deep * 30mm wide rim, 410g / pc +/-15, Hookless + Tubeless.

30mm deep * 28mm wide rim, 390g / pc +/-15g, Tubeless.
45mm deep * 28mm wide rim, 440g / pc +/-15g, Tubeless.
These are still heavy comparing to clones of enve hookless rims:

28x28mm hookless 305g
30x30mm hookless 315g

Image Image
I'm agree with you that seems too heavy, but in general for 700c rims and disc, for me is difficult to find weights under 460gr with profiles (35 to 45mm x25/27mm)

I my MTB I have rims arround 400gr.

The ones you speak about are also for MTB not 700c, but very light.

What light rims do you recomend me for 700c, disc, tubeless, and 35/45mm deep * 25/27mm wide rim???

My idea is to use 25mm tires UST like Schwalve One Pro tubeless.

ooo
Posts: 806
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 12:59 pm

by ooo

Yishunbike Mid Hook design looks interesting, weight is a little bit better than Farsports
I tried to order 2pc, but they told me they sell them in bulk (10pc)

https://www.yishunbike.com/700c-asd-roa ... m_p61.html
RDG38C-TLR-DISC
ASD38C-TLR-DISC
'

MAJ
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:33 pm

by MAJ

ooo wrote:Yishunbike Mid Hook design looks interesting, weight is a little bit better than Farsports
I tried to order 2pc, but they told me they sell them in bulk (10pc)

https://www.yishunbike.com/700c-asd-roa ... m_p61.html
RDG38C-TLR-DISC
ASD38C-TLR-DISC
€ 125,91 | 390g Ultra Luz de bicicleta de carbono llantas 35mm 45mm clincher ruedas sin cámara para bicicleta de carretera freno V/ freno de disco con Toray T800 y T700 Armadura
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/c3osejhX

What do you think about this?

There is other seller with light rims T700+T800 but he is not available today, I think is changing prices or something like that, is Deerobust at Aliexpress

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post