201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sock3t

by Sock3t

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:11 pm
Looking at it more closely, the only thing that seems "off" is the white pedals.
I just replaced with black today :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

danridesbikes

by danridesbikes

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:14 pm
dcorn wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:24 pm
Wow, I don't even remember them making a torch edition Allez. Looks awesome!
It was sold as a complete with 105.
danridesbikes wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:26 pm
Really nice bike... proper build. I'm anxious to see your thoguhts on the tires, long-term. I rode them as TT tires and they are certainly fast, but IMO, not suited at all for a general riding tire. The grip is not very good in the wet and they are extremely thin and flat-prone.
ive used them for a couple of years now, ive done 200 mile rides on them, but mostly short flat out local stuff, if its wet i take out a different bike, longevity getting 800-1000km on them, don't run them tubeless, use Vittoria latex tubes with them

this is the 2nd incarnation of this bike, originally had OG eTap

ToughInTheStreets

by ToughInTheStreets

@Danridesbikes and @sock3t you both dun' good. Those look so sharp. Goodness
-signed sincere internet stranger

dcorn

by dcorn

Picked up this bad boy off ebay. I just sold a Tarmac SL6 that was a bit too big for me and needed another bike to keep on the trainer, then race. I was looking into doing a budget build Sprint, but then found this on ebay and couldn't pass it up. Brand new frame and groupset, matchy matchy seat looks new as well. I swapped to some narrower bars from the previous owner and learned how to run cables so I could throw all new cables on it. This sucker has some seriously money parts on it, I'll eventually get some wheels to match.

I'd told myself I'd never buy another bike without electronic shifting and disc brakes, but I just didn't want to spend $5k on another bike at the moment.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

New frame day. ImageImage
Using Tapatalk

Cattiy

by Cattiy

Nefarious86 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:48 am
New frame day. ImageImage
Nice bike, but awful pictures.

Afnole16

by Afnole16

Bought a Frame after my deployment and put Ultegra 6800
Prime Carbon Aero Bars
Prime Stem 110mm
35mm x 25mm Light Bicycle Rims
Kogel Ceramic BB
Fizik R1 Antares EVO Saddle (On the Way)

roll20 dice rolls

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Hexsense wrote:My Sprint disc.
Size 49.
Enve SES Aero road bar size 40cm measured at drop end, which is 35.5cm wide on the hood.
Light-bicycle 56mm deep, 30mm external, 23mm internal. Plenty of tire clearance with wide tire on these very wide rims.
That a camera in the seat post? What kind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

07stuntin6r wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:37 pm

That a camera in the seat post? What kind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cycliq Fly6 CE. Good camera, I have one as well.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

berest

by berest

Hi there!

2019 Allez Sprint owners, I need your help. Can anybody tell me if there's should be a compression ring with a headset or not?

The story is simple: I have bought a 2019 Allez Sprint frameset from Specialized official store, then i picked up the box and transferred it to my home country. In the moment of opening of all the inner boxes and packages i've found that there was no a compression ring for the headset by default from manufacturer(China/Taiwan) in it's factory sealed package.
ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImage

I've found it weird so i have contacted that Specialized store, explained them what's going on and asked them to ship me that absent/missed compression ring. The answer of the official store totally shocked and confused me at the same time, cuz they are telling me that it's OK and there should be no compression ring at all. They took photos of the same frame from their store without that compression ring just to make me sure that they sell the frame in the same way without that small part. And here you go, the answer itself:
"Hi Igor,

please see the attached files.
The part is not nessesary for building up the bike. When you cut the steerer tube and put on a matching stem the headseat won’t move at all.
The Headseat will always move if the bike isn’t built up yet.

Kind regards"

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

So what's the story here, can anybody tell me? I see an empty space between the upper bearing and the steerer tube, i'm strongly believe that somebody is a liar and there's should be a compression ring. Can anybody confirm it please?

Thanks,
Igor

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

berest wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:37 am
Hi there!

2019 Allez Sprint owners, I need your help. Can anybody tell me if there's should be a compression ring with a headset or not?

The story is simple: I have bought a 2019 Allez Sprint frameset from Specialized official store, then i picked up the box and transferred it to my home country. In the moment of opening of all the inner boxes and packages i've found that there was no a compression ring for the headset by default from manufacturer(China/Taiwan) in it's factory sealed package.
ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImage

I've found it weird so i have contacted that Specialized store, explained them what's going on and asked them to ship me that absent/missed compression ring. The answer of the official store totally shocked and confused me at the same time, cuz they are telling me that it's OK and there should be no compression ring at all. They took photos of the same frame from their store without that compression ring just to make me sure that they sell the frame in the same way without that small part. And here you go, the answer itself:
"Hi Igor,

please see the attached files.
The part is not nessesary for building up the bike. When you cut the steerer tube and put on a matching stem the headseat won’t move at all.
The Headseat will always move if the bike isn’t built up yet.

Kind regards"

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

So what's the story here, can anybody tell me? I see an empty space between the upper bearing and the steerer tube, i'm strongly believe that somebody is a liar and there's should be a compression ring. Can anybody confirm it please?

Thanks,
Igor
I actually just had my fork out to re-grease my bottom headset bearing. Come to think of it, I don't remember there being one. I actually never thought about it before. Maybe the bottom of the top cover is shaped to center the steerer tube in the bearing? I had them on my last two carbon bikes, because I always forgot about it when I pull out the stem and it'd go flying. I don't remember dealing with it when I pulled my fork earlier this week.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Brynhildr

by Brynhildr

Anybody know what the max clearance for rim width is for the Allez Sprint Rim Brake version? Was looking at LightBicycle, and saw their new fancy wide rim profiles, would 28mm or 30mm rim width clear? I'd expect I'd have to even downsize my 25mm tires to 23mm to account for the change.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Brynhildr wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:37 pm
Anybody know what the max clearance for rim width is for the Allez Sprint Rim Brake version? Was looking at LightBicycle, and saw their new fancy wide rim profiles, would 28mm or 30mm rim width clear? I'd expect I'd have to even downsize my 25mm tires to 23mm to account for the change.
Just from a safety aspect, I don't know that I'd run a 23c tire on a 28mm rim, much less 30mm and I'd probably shy away from 25c on anything bigger than a 28mm rim. My HED Jet+ rims are 25mm external, and they fit fine. 25c Schwalbe Pro Ones measure out to about 27mm on those rims, and I don't think I'd have any issues running 28s. I've actually managed to fit a 31c CX tire, but the knobbies rubbed on the top of the fork, so I'm going to guess 28c should be OK.

As to your question about rims... that's really going to depend more on your brake calipers. If they will open wide enough to fit, you're probably good. The question then becomes will the tire be too tall, and I *think* you'd be OK with up to 28c on 28mm rims. 30mm wide rims just seem excessive on a race bike, but I could see it for a canti brake CX/Gravel bike.