Specialized vs. Cervelo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

newbikerfast

by newbikerfast

Hi all... I'm looking to get a faster bike. I have a Cervelo C5, which has been great but I want something with a bit more speed. I'm very tall - ~6'5" and lanky. These are the three options I'm considering:

- Specialized Venge Pro - $8020 USD
- Cervelo S3 Ultegra Di2 - $7,000 USD (wish it could be a Cervelo S5 but I'm too tall for the 58 Frame)
- Wait for a canyon 2020 model (either Aeroad or Ultimate)

Would love to get your thoughts. Thanks!

gurk700

by gurk700

You will not notice the aero differences among them. Buy one that you love the look of and comes with the best kit.
I love Cervelo but they tend to cheap out on components sometimes (stick a cheapo saddle or cheaper wheels etc on the bike)

I would personally wait for Canyon. If you love its looks, it's most likely gonna ben the most budget option cause of direct sales.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

The Propel SL1 in XL could be a good option too.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/prope ... -sl-1-disc
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

robeambro

by robeambro

newbikerfast wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:27 pm
Hi all... I'm looking to get a faster bike. I have a Cervelo C5, which has been great but I want something with a bit more speed. I'm very tall - ~6'5" and lanky. These are the three options I'm considering:

- Specialized Venge Pro - $8020 USD
- Cervelo S3 Ultegra Di2 - $7,000 USD (wish it could be a Cervelo S5 but I'm too tall for the 58 Frame)
- Wait for a canyon 2020 model (either Aeroad or Ultimate)

Would love to get your thoughts. Thanks!
I think it would be hard to find somebody who's ridden both.

A few obvious pointers.

- One sure thing is that the Cervelo would be quite much heavier. Not sure how much. Whether that matters, is up to you.

- With the Venge you'd get the top-tier frameset from Specialized, as it is the same found on the S-Works. This doesn't hold for Cervelo. Whether that makes the Venge better than the S3, it is all to be proven, but still.

- You are comparing two bikes with a radically different geometry. Not sure of your fit and so on, but if you're more suited for the S3, you may be looking at a tower of spacers on the Venge.

To be honest, if you are ok with waiting, I would wait to see whether Canyon shows something new, it's a matter of ~3 months or even less before something starts leaking. The other bikes will still be there by then.

dim

by dim

get a lightweight climbing bike with lightweight quality wheels and good fast tyres

we all ride at 20+mph on the flats irrespective if it's a lightweight bike or a heavier aero bike

however, when it comes to the hills, thats where a climbing bike drops the aero bike (by far IMHO)... and I read somewhere that an aero bike is 50 seconds faster than a climbing bike over a 40km route (flat route with very little elevation)

thats just my 2 cents but I know that many will disagree (including my son who insists that I should get A 2nd bike, namely a Canyon Aeroad, but I keep telling him that I will be faster on a course with my Trek Emonda)... I know an aero bike with 50mm carbon wheels looks cool but I'm too old to worry about 'looks' :P
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Lewn777

by Lewn777

The difference is a Chinese factory. Cervelo are probably made by Giant and Specialized by Merida. Even if the bikes say 'Made in Taiwan' on them, that likely only means assembly.
I prefer Specialized as I think they have better designs and their bikes are a little bit lighter and some report Cervelo bikes corner in an unusal way, although others disagree. This opnion is based on 1000kms on a R3 and 1000kms on a SL5.

Personally I'd look at Giant or Merida directly for better value, or direct sale like Canyon.

crazybaboon

by crazybaboon

If you’re 6’5” and lanky you’re probably too tall for a specialized, I’m the same size and ride Cervelo R5disc, S3 and C3.
I used to work in a specialized dealer and unfortunately the Tarmac and Venge are much smaller in seat tube and head tube, I could’ve had them at cost but paid more to ride Cervelo

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Lewn777 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:11 pm
The difference is a Chinese factory. Cervelo are probably made by Giant and Specialized by Merida.
No and No. Cervelo definitely not at Giant. Merida don't make carbon...
I prefer Specialized as I think they have better designs
That would be the specialized that copied Cervelo manufacturing techniques to make their bikes lighter?

For the OP - Venge unlikely to fit, S3 probably a much better option on that front. Canyon Aeroad a terrible option unless you can tolerate massive bar drop (seriously, that bike doesn't suit 95% of people).

What is your stem/spacer setup on the C5?

Lewn777

by Lewn777

cyclenutnz wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:59 am
Lewn777 wrote:
The difference is a Chinese factory. Cervelo are probably made by Giant and Specialized by Merida.
No and No. Cervelo definitely not at Giant. Merida don't make carbon...
I prefer Specialized as I think they have better designs
That would be the specialized that copied Cervelo manufacturing techniques to make their bikes lighter?

For the OP - Venge unlikely to fit, S3 probably a much better option on that front. Canyon Aeroad a terrible option unless you can tolerate massive bar drop (seriously, that bike doesn't suit 95% of people).

What is your stem/spacer setup on the C5?
I rode a R3 and a tarmac in about the same groupo, and the Cervelo was a porker getting on for a kg heavier. and it also handled like a pig. You're entitled to your opinion, even though it's completely incorrect.

You're right, Cervelo bikes are made in the same Chinese factories as Specialized, Merida and a hostof others. These days there are subsidiary factories all over the place in China.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Specialized and Cervelo = Keentech Composite (Topkey subsidiary)
Trek and Canyon = Quest Composite
Scott and Giant = Giant Composite

Keentech and Quest do not make any frames in Taiwan as far as I know, but it’s not like that matters. They are both top tier factories.

wingguy

by wingguy

Lewn777 wrote:
The difference is a Chinese factory. Cervelo are probably made by Giant and Specialized by Merida. Even if the bikes say 'Made in Taiwan' on them, that likely only means assembly.
I’m not really sure what your point is here. I doubt there’s anyone left on this forum who doesn’t know where frames are made these days, and the fact they’re both made in China doesn’t make them the same anymore than the fact they’re both designed in North America does.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

wingguy wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:51 am
Lewn777 wrote:
I’m not really sure what your point is here. I doubt there’s anyone left on this forum who doesn’t know where frames are made these days, and the fact they’re both made in China doesn’t make them the same anymore than the fact they’re both designed in North America does.
The POINT is that there isn't much difference, likely some Specialized and Cervelos are made in the same factory using the same or similar carbon sheet and epoxy with likely the same Shimano groupset. Also that Merida and Giant have huge manufacturing hubs and distribution networks under them so make decent bikes also in the same factories so you might as well consider their bikes too. What matters is to get the geo you prefer and to analyse the overall weight which is mostly probably down to the OEM wheels, tires and tubes and if the finishing fit is good. Are you going to hate the seat and wheels out of the box? etc

So what are you thoughts then? Have you ridden both bikes or similar ones? How do you feel about both brands? Are Cervelo as good as some people think? Do Specialized use too many propietary parts?

Phippy

by Phippy

I just went thru this same dilemma between a R3 di2 disc and Tarmac Pro disc. Either I could grab at 10% off, right away Tarmac over 300gr lighter. Cable routing looks cleaner on the Tarmac as well. Also the Novatec R3 rims are not tubeless and only 1yr warranty compared to Rovals 2yr and come tubeless if needed. Though I actually like the look of the R3 slightly better the Tarmac is the smarter purchase. I would make sure the R5 Novatec rims are tubeless and check the warranty.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

You are comparing two bikes with a radically different geometry. Not sure of your fit and so on, but if you're more suited for the S3, you may be looking at a tower of spacers on the Venge.
That's the best point, there's a few cms difference in height in the big sizes. Might well be that one simply fits and the other simply doesn't.

wingguy

by wingguy

Lewn777 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:49 pm
The POINT is that there isn't much difference, likely some Specialized and Cervelos are made in the same factory using the same or similar carbon sheet and epoxy with likely the same Shimano groupset.
I still don’t see what the point of saying that is. So two bikes are made in the same country.... how does that automatically mean there’s not much difference between them?

And not much difference in what way, specifically?

Again, are they also the same just because they were both designed in North America?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com