Any DI2 Canyon Ultimate Disc 2019 owners? Wiring Help.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

boots2000

by boots2000

I am wondering how the DI2 wire goes into the frame on a size small 2019 Canyon Ultimate Disc?

Does it go in right in the same spot as the rear disc hose? Or does it go in at the toptube?

Any pics of clean routing?

Next- where is the junction box and battery located on this frame? Is is possible to shrink wrap the DI2 wire from bars so that there is no exposed DI2 wire showing on either side of the bars? Only a shirink wrapped rear brake hose?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jaypee

by jaypee

boots2000 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:33 am
I am wondering how the DI2 wire goes into the frame on a size small 2019 Canyon Ultimate Disc?

Does it go in right in the same spot as the rear disc hose? Or does it go in at the toptube?

Any pics of clean routing?

Next- where is the junction box and battery located on this frame? Is is possible to shrink wrap the DI2 wire from bars so that there is no exposed DI2 wire showing on either side of the bars? Only a shirink wrapped rear brake hose?
mine is last years model but don't think its changed for this year. Based on this its probably not close enough.
Attachments
IMG_7971.jpg

boots2000

by boots2000

Yes- Not so close.
Would it be possible to modify the grommet where the rear brake hose enters to have the brake hose and DI2 wire enter in same place?

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

boots2000 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:33 pm
Yes- Not so close.
Would it be possible to modify the grommet where the rear brake hose enters to have the brake hose and DI2 wire enter in same place?
I'd be interested to do this too, but to add the heat shrink tubing, one would need to disconnect bot the cables right, to thread them thru the tubing? The electrical will be easy, the hydraulic not so easy.

Or, is there any other way to add the heat shrink tubing?

jaypee

by jaypee

The only other way I have seen it done is with spiral cable wrap but tbh this is no where near as neat as shrink wrap. Might be possible to exit through the hose grommet (which I think is split) but then you have to deal with the redundant di2 exit point.

marioc

by marioc

Without disconnecting the hydraulic hose and running Di2 wire through rear brake frame hole and heat shrink tubing first, there is no way to use heat shrink tube for Di2 wire and read brake hose. Also, rear brake rubber grommet needs to be modified.

boots2000

by boots2000

I would do both of those things if it results in the 100% clean look that I am after.

Is it possible to modify the grommet?

marioc wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:48 pm
Without disconnecting the hydraulic hose and running Di2 wire through rear brake frame hole and heat shrink tubing first, there is no way to use heat shrink tube for Di2 wire and read brake hose. Also, rear brake rubber grommet needs to be modified.

motorapido

by motorapido

To join the di2 wire and brake hoses, i just wrap in pvc electrical tape, if you pull it tight and take your time to get an even wrap overlap and make sure the end goes past where the gromet will fit over it, you get a neat finish.

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

motorapido wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:58 pm
To join the di2 wire and brake hoses, i just wrap in pvc electrical tape, if you pull it tight and take your time to get an even wrap overlap and make sure the end goes past where the gromet will fit over it, you get a neat finish.
Dont the Di2 cable and the brake hose enter thru seperate points on the frame?

jaypee

by jaypee

deepakvrao wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:54 am
motorapido wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:58 pm
Dont the Di2 cable and the brake hose enter thru seperate points on the frame?
They do. You'd have to re-route the Di2 so it could pass out throught the rear hose port on the head tube (reckon this might be super tricky).
As Marioc said, you'd probably have to alter the hose grommet slightly, although I think it is split and from looking at the chainstay-end grommet for reference you might be able to get the skinny Di2 out without too much adjustment.
I wouldn't say that it couldn't be done with keeping the hose connected but I think it would be easier and give you the neat finish you'd want if you disconnected the rear hose, pulled it back through enough so as to give you room to route the Di2 properly. If you were going to fish the Di2 back through the brake port surely you have to pull this all the way back to get a clear run. I could see myself never being able to fish the DI2 cable from one to the other, park tool or not.

I had the same issues with mine when I got it - in the end I decided that I can live with a short cable run that can only be seen from the non-drive side and I'd have bigger aesthetic issues with the redundant hole. Besides, if I spent all my rides staring down at the cables I'd end up in a ditch pretty soon :)
Attachments
Ultimate CF SL_CF SLX Disc R049_R051_el_BOM_ts.png

marioc

by marioc

You'll have to take out hydraulic hose out because Di2 wire connector can't get through if the hose is installed. Di2 goes first (through frame hole and through heat shrink tubing) and then hydraulic hose. Rubber grommet modification is basically cutting 2mm of it so that wire can go in.
Here's the picture how I did it https://imgur.com/a/ls7fVov

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com