What is Trek launching?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Karvalo

by Karvalo

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:47 pm
Trek claims the new helmet is so good it scores a 5. There currently are other helmets that score a 5.
Not saying this isn't an improvement but the numerical score doesnt' prove it
Have you read the study?

It has many numbers in it that aren't 5.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

kkibbler wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:28 am
I’ve no dog in the helmet race but it always annoys when people with a shallow/poor understanding of the hot-coffee case mine it for quips.
Then you have no reason to be annoyed, because I wasn't talking about the specifics of that case.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

basilic

by basilic

I just read the study in AAP and thought it was pretty well done and the results convincing. They used identical Scott helmets (standard, MIPS, and standard milled out to allow insertion of the wavecell), 4 testing scenarios, 5 repetitions with each kind of helmet. In the high velocity scenario the probability of brain injury (estimated from angular acceleration) went from 59% (std) to 34% (mips) to 2% (wavecell).

The study has coauthors from Legacy (the company) and a mechanical institute at U of Strasbourg that works on helmet safety. Funding comes from the NIH and the company. That sounds fair enough.

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

I saw this too. It raises some questions.
1. Best case scenario they had the helmet for 36 hours when they posted that. How much conclusive testing could have been done?
2. Of course a direct competitor to this new technology takes issue with it...

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

It's war!

and now MIPS is fighting back by disputing Bontrager’s claims with its own testing.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/03/news/m ... wuzEMINNS8
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

AJS914

by AJS914

I don't trust MIPS to do the research showing that the competition is wrong. I read the Trek study and I'm also not convinced how a 1/2" layer of wavecell plastic and prevent 99% of concusions. I would be glad to be wrong but it just doesn't make sense that if a head of falling from 2 meters up to the ground that the small bit of shock absorption would prevent concussions to such a high degree.

I'm glad someone is pushing the envelope on safety but I really don't trust the licensers of competing technologies to do the research telling us which one works the best.

Also, I'm a bit dissapointed in Trek for going up-market ($150-$300 for a Wavecel helmet). This piece of plastic probably costs less than a $1 to manufacture in quantity. They should have discontinued every single one of their traditional EPS helmets and put Wavecel into everything.

Shouldn't a $35 Trek kid's helmet have Wavecel if it's so awesome?

kgt

by kgt

Exactly.
If it was really about a serious safety issue then Trek should have used wavecell even in their cheapest helmets.

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

Trek has been saying on their FB page they are working on more helmets, inculding a kids model.

TheRich

by TheRich

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:15 pm
I don't trust MIPS to do the research showing that the competition is wrong. I read the Trek study and I'm also not convinced how a 1/2" layer of wavecell plastic and prevent 99% of concusions. I would be glad to be wrong but it just doesn't make sense that if a head of falling from 2 meters up to the ground that the small bit of shock absorption would prevent concussions to such a high degree.

I'm glad someone is pushing the envelope on safety but I really don't trust the licensers of competing technologies to do the research telling us which one works the best.

Also, I'm a bit dissapointed in Trek for going up-market ($150-$300 for a Wavecel helmet). This piece of plastic probably costs less than a $1 to manufacture in quantity. They should have discontinued every single one of their traditional EPS helmets and put Wavecel into everything.

Shouldn't a $35 Trek kid's helmet have Wavecel if it's so awesome?
*Casually glances at $325 Giro Aether* (and wonders why both it and the Synthe exist)

Bontrager helmets are a bargain.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Boring, i thought it had something to do with frame material.
These helmets come with a weight penalty. I'm a bit weary on more weight on the neck :-(
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:14 am
These helmets come with a weight penalty. I'm a bit weary on more weight on the neck :-(

IMO the best looking helmet right now is the MET Trenta [3K]. It's very low profile and very light...doesn't look boring or too flashy. It's just right. It doesn't have MIPS/Spin/Wavecel/Turbine/etc., but the jury's still out. Fits my head really nicely (so does the XXX Wavecel)...long oval.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:24 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:14 am

IMO the best looking helmet right now is the MET Trenta [3K]. It's very low profile and very light...doesn't look boring or too flashy. It's just right. It doesn't have MIPS/Spin/Wavecel/Turbine/etc., but the jury's still out. Fits my head really nicely (so does the XXX Wavecel)...long oval.
I can't help it, some aero helmest like kind of cool. I have one that is too flashy. I feel silly using it, so it was boxed.

I often find most of the helmets looking same same (non aero) these days.
This MET fall in to same category to my eyes.

But i guess as long as they fit rider well and you don't look like a mushroom it's fine.... (Or hinder your glasses/ eyesight when in the drops).

Bolle the One is actually a great helmet for a resonable price. Alot of possibilites of running open/ closed (two detachable lids) which is great.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The MET Trenta is supposedly very aero because of how non-mushroomy it is. It might have more ventilation than a traditional aero helmet, but it also has very little frontal area too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

guyc

by guyc

I've a Trenta 3k - stellar helmet and very little overall profile.

The Aether is a slightly better fit on me though.